FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Lets see those PONDS!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Lets see those PONDS!!!
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-07 7:12 pm   Permalink

Did I mention that I live near the Beach in Orange County, spent all day cleaning the fountain,repotting plants etc.
In the past I have seen Raccoon's try to take Cats & Possums in my yard.

It has been mentioned to me to try Wolf Urine to scare them away...

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-07 11:48 pm   Permalink

Awesome!

Nothin like playing in a tiki pond!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 12:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-07 17:54, Jungle Trader wrote:
Coons can be vicious. One tore up my brothers stream and pond and ate all his koi. He lives in the middle of Modesto, not in the country. Yes, they are a big problem for pond enthusiasts. I have heard they can drown a dog by holding it's head underwater. Not a myth. I don't think I would want to tangle with one and I'm Tarzan. heh. Good luck.

My dog (a rot/lab mix) got attacked by two youngsters a couple weeks ago - she was sniffing out one of them when the other ran across the creek and jumped her! Rode her like a lion on a zebra - pulled out a patch of hair and bit her on the back! I like the little rascals too - but they are not to be messed with. You might try getting a humane trap (or six!) and relocate them.

I had a blow-up pool for my daughter many years ago. I went out one morning and all three rings of the pool had been deflated. I got a new one and one night I woke up and heard this splashing and then I heard a POP and Hissssssssss! I looked out the window and the raccoons were washing the neighbors' vegetables in the pool and then having fun popping the rings! The little shits!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-23 6:43 pm   Permalink

Cammo taught me this trick, I tried to get him to post a pic of his but no luck. It is an upside down glass vase with the opening just below the water level. Suction keeps the water in and the fish are able to swim up inside and out whenever they please, kinda like a reverse submarine for fishes Cam says his fish spend a lot of time in there in the winter because the water is warmer in the vase (the sunlight heats the water, warm water rises and stays there) Cammo stacked rocks or bricks on the bottom and set his vase on them. My pond is too deep for that so I made a PVC pipe frame that the vase sets on, but I need to paint it black so it's not so obvious. I will replace the above picture when I get it painted.

EDIT - new photo, the PVC pipe is still visable but it looks better painted black

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2011-07-27 18:36 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 10:31 am   Permalink

Thanks MD for the kick in the pants.

Update:

13 feeder fish inhabit this 15 x 3 x 3 pond

Some really nice ponds in here!

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-08 11:41 am   Permalink

Here's our pond.
It's small at only 900 gallons.
About 8'by'11/ 4' deep.
Wish it was much bigger.
A pond in your yard brings in so much life.
Birds, buterflies, fish, frogs,ECT...
It's one of the best things you can do to your yard!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-15 06:36 am   Permalink

Everyone is taking bets on when someone finally falls in.

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-15 08:28 am   Permalink

Beautiful water garders, both of them. Skip, I love that you have intentionally planted flowers that draw butterflies. What are the wire frimes near the ducks for? Zen, a heavy hemp rope gracefully strung betweent the posts would keep anyone from falling in and would still blend in with the surroundings.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-15 10:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-07 19:12, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Did I mention that I live near the Beach in Orange County, spent all day cleaning the fountain,repotting plants etc.
In the past I have seen Raccoon's try to take Cats & Possums in my yard.

It has been mentioned to me to try Wolf Urine to scare them away...

How do you get the "Wolf" to pee on command?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-16 10:54 am   Permalink

Where is the best place in SoCal to find performed pond liners and pond kits with lights, pump, and filter?

Looking for performed pond liners like these:
http://www.lowes.com/cd_Plan+and+Build+a+Water+Garden_784739003_#Pond%20Liners

I found one pond liner at Home Depot that was the wrong shape. They didn't have any kits or professional lights.

I'd like a kit so that everything works together.

This is the original pond. The pond liner is broken and leaks.
I'd like to keep the current water fall and get a new light exactly like the old one.

Where do they sell pond kits like this in the Orange County area?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiSan 2011-10-16 11:34 ]

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-16 11:57 am   Permalink

Thanks Mike,
The wire cages are what we use to stake our tomatos in
the summer.
But in the winter they are used to keep the blue herons
from eating my fish.
In the summer the fish have the plants to keep them safe,
but in winter it's open season.

I try to plant stuff that will bring in more wildlife.
Apple trees for the deer, flowers for the butterflies, in
the summer we get all kinds of flittrin and flyin stuff
it's great!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-06 1:12 pm   Permalink

I'm an official pondie now!

Last weekend we put this small pond/bubbling rock combo in the backyard next to the Kailua Coconut:

It is small - about 3'x2'. I made a little box out of HardiePanel board, buried it in the ground, and then lined it with pond liner. THe rock is from Big Rock Co here on Oahau - they do some fantastic stuff with concrete. Always fun to poke around their shop
http://www.bigrockhawaii.com

Here is a shot that shows how small it is next to our micro house (The Kailua Coconut)

And lastly, or OCD dog Marzipan can't keep her eyes off the moving water

This was a test project for us. Phase 2 is a BIG backyard pond (well, big for us - thinking 6' square). I'm going to make some large ceramic stone tiki fountains to put in it. Can't wait!

Mahalo for all the info in this thread - TC is da best!
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-06 5:25 pm   Permalink

Nice looking pond Henrik, can't wait to see Phase II

I have a new pond in my front yard, 120 x 80 feet, about 8 inches deep

I went to floodwater my front yard last night and forgot to turn the pump off. This is what it looked like when I woke up this morning I had to pump it from the lawn back into the canal to get rid of it

Here's a nice pic of the Pirate Ship Tree House during the lawn flooding ordeal

Not really, that's a PhotoShop job

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-11-07 11:14 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation