FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Just getting into carving.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Just getting into carving.
tatumantiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-24 11:23 am   Permalink

View Profile of tatumantiki Send a personal message to tatumantiki  Email tatumantiki Goto the website of tatumantiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tatumantiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-24 11:24 am   Permalink

View Profile of tatumantiki Send a personal message to tatumantiki  Email tatumantiki Goto the website of tatumantiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-27 9:51 pm   Permalink

nice work!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-28 09:51 am   Permalink

Post lots of photos. I'd like to see more from your vacation to New Zealand. I have my first palm log to carve this summer. Did you sand yours and seal it with varnish? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-09 07:53 am   Permalink

More Excellent stuff Tatuman, I can see how your Faux finish background will be a Big influence in your carvings as you already know the value of a finely prepared surface Before you start the final finishing process. I'll be looking for some Excellent pieces from you in the near future, meanwhile wheres the Jade?? Can't wait to see it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tatumantiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-10 06:33 am   Permalink

Thanks again for the complements. I will post some new stuff as soon as I can. I just got married and have been busy.

BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-10 07:55 am   Permalink

fab tikis dude! really great work .. and congratulations, all the best!

View Profile of BigAndyB Send a personal message to BigAndyB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tatumantiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-08 6:34 pm   Permalink

Heres a couple simple carvings for clients. One is an actual dead coconut palm that a client wanted "aloha" carved in it. My first experience with a stump. The carving was a little tough since the tree had alot of moisture in it. I had to clean out my saw constantly. I coated it with urethane and put a ton on the top so water wouldn't penetrate
and rot it out quick. I told the client I had no idea how long it would last. They didn't seem to mind. Anyways it was a cool experience. Later

[ This Message was edited by: tatumantiki 2010-08-08 18:43 ]

tatumantiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-08 6:38 pm   Permalink

I did each of these the aloha and this one in about 5 hrs. a piece. Quick jobs. Otherwise I could have spent days on them.

[ This Message was edited by: tatumantiki 2010-08-08 18:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tatumantiki 2010-08-08 18:49 ]

Irishcarver
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-08 8:13 pm   Permalink

I like your work but something else caught my eye. Your tattoo is awesome. I want to get one similar but I want it done in the traditional polynesian way, tapped in with the bone comb.

View Profile of Irishcarver Send a personal message to Irishcarver  Email Irishcarver Goto the website of Irishcarver     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tatumantiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-09 05:28 am   Permalink

Thanks Irishcarver. I love the polynesian tattoos. The one on my chest and some of the stuff on my arm was done by a man named Samoan Mike. He is an unbelievable tattooist. I had it done with a tattoo gun though. I will eventually get one done the traditional way that you are speaking of also. I plan on hopefully going to the South Pacific in the next year or so. Thanks Tatuman

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 07:23 am   Permalink

I like the stump, but here are some issues that my occur. First is that the stump was probably still alive and pumping water. It won't be the outside that rots but the inside - I would give it a year or two. It a common misunderstanding that when the top of a Palm dies the entire tree is dead. Sometimes the rootball continues to work even though the top is dead. Second is that you clear coated the outside. This will enhance the first problem by trapping water inside the log. It may also develop mold under the clear coat. Nice carves - keep them comin.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 08:40 am   Permalink

Dude! Kick ass!

Where in FL are you anyway?

The Florida TIKI ARMY is growing!!!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tatumantiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-09 7:15 pm   Permalink

thanks for the info and compliments. I told the client it would probably only last a yr or 2 tops. I figured if I sealed the top good it would keep water from rotting the inside quicker. They already chopped the top of tree off a month earlier. Oh well it was fun and hopefully they enjoy it for awhile.

nomolos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-10 12:03 am   Permalink

Nice work

View Profile of nomolos Send a personal message to nomolos      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation