Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving * I need some advise *
* I need some advise *
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 08:37 am   Permalink

So, I've only been making tikis now for like, 9 months. They've improved vastly since I started, but now I'm in a position where I need to turn this into a small business.

Why?

Because fox 13 news came out here the other day and did this big story on me that supposed to air in the next few weeks. AND, the homeowners association in the historic neighborhood where I live (and carve tikis in the front yard) wants to do a story about me for the cover of their next newsletter. So, bottom line is that I'm about to get a ridiculous amount of unsolicited, free advertising.

This is totally weird, and is happening really fast.

So, to all you guys out there actually doing this for a living, please help me with some advise on what I should be thinking about.

What big mistakes have you made?

Hard lessons learned?

How do I keep from getting ripped off?

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

Many mahalos to all!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 09:32 am   Permalink

I don't think any carvers here make a living off carving, it's more of a fun hobby that makes you some extra money.

My advice: keep some finished product on hand, always take 50% down payment on orders, be ready to carve what people want vs what you like, don't take yourself too seriously, don't depend on a certain amount of money coming from sales, it fluctuates.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 09:56 am   Permalink

You might want to make sure your homeowners' association will be as enthusiastic about carving in the front yard when it goes from hobby to business.

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 10:21 am   Permalink

Keep your day job! Be sure to emphasize that you accept commissions in all of your interviews and make it as simple as possible for people to find you on the web. Good Luck.

PS. If you do figure out how to make it a prosperous full-time job - please let me know how.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 11:37 am   Permalink

Hey guys, thanks for chiming in. All very good advise. I definitely want to stay grounded and not get ahead of myself.

I wasn't really thinking that this will be a full time job or anything, but hey, if I can make a little cash off of doing what I enjoy, that would be really cool.

I will keep you guys posted, and I'll post a link to my news story.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-26 11:44 am   Permalink

'Advice' is a noun, and 'advise' is a verb. You were looking for ADVICE.

Don't take spelling lessons from Kirby. (And that GROG' advice.)

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 12:02 pm   Permalink

Duh.

I'm running around like a crazy person over here trying to salvage one company while trying create another.

Pardon my temporary lapse in spelling & proper usage.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 1:07 pm   Permalink

That down payment thing is a biggy. First, it keeps you from making something they don't actually buy and you get screwed, second, it turns a tire kicker into a real sale. Much of any business is capitalizing on the opportunity. The person who says yes and hands you cash today, may say yes today and not give you cash and then say no in a couple of weeks when you approach them again.

Get the sale while the client is hot! And if you get backed up, just let them know your situation so they don't get too impatient waiting.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-26 2:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-26 12:02, pjc5150 wrote:
Pardon my temporary lapse in spelling & proper usage.

No worries, it's only a small infraction. As long as you don't write ect. instead of etc.! Ect. is short for Electroconvulsive Therapy, whereas etc. is short for et cetera.

Good luck with the businesses and the carving.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 8:35 pm   Permalink

Grog your to f'n funny !!!!!!

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-27 4:49 pm   Permalink

Just make them to sell rather than excepting a list of people. I learned that.....

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-29 07:31 am   Permalink

Not sure what you mean drastic.

Please elaborate?

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation