FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Beyond Tiki Ľ Ľ Chases on the Beach, New Smyrna Beach, FL (restaurant)
Chases on the Beach, New Smyrna Beach, FL (restaurant)
smccauley1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-30 11:00 am   Permalink

Name:Chases on the Beach
Type:restaurant
Street:3401 S. Atlantic Avenue
City:New Smyrna Beach
State:FL
Zip:32169
Phone:386-423-8787

Description:
"A New Smyrna Landmark." Oceanfront Dining; Excellent Menu; Live entertainment Friday through Sunday (weather permitting); Reggae Sunday Brunch from 10 am-3 pm with our New Bloody Mary Bar where you can spice up your own cocktail & hear live music by Caribbean Posse'; Late night Happy Hour Monday through Thursday 9 p.m. to close; Catering to accommodate large or small groups; Five custom built tiki huts with tables made of cypress and thatched roofs (www.palmhuts.com); Senior discounts 4-6.m.
Check out the updated information on the Calendar of Events!

[ This Message was edited by: smccauley1 2010-03-30 11:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: smccauley1 2010-03-30 11:07 ]

View Profile of smccauley1 Send a personal message to smccauley1  Goto the website of smccauley1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-30 12:03 pm   Permalink

where are the tikis?

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-03-30 2:43 pm   Permalink

I gotta agree with BTD - Nice, well-made huts: Not Tiki.

Yeah, yeah, I know that some Palapa structures are now called Tiki Huts, but that's an unfortunate watering down of what "Tiki Hut" used to mean and should mean:

Vintage Tiki Hut:

Modern Tiki Hut:

Palapa "Tiki" Hut:

If you can show me the actual carved tikis or how the restaurant is related to Classic or Modern Polynesian Pop, then it can stay in Locating Tiki. Otherwise it needs to be moved to Beyond Tiki.

For instance, a Chinese restaurant that still serves Polynesian cocktails in Tiki Mugs is peripherally related enough to classic Poly-Pop that it has a place in Locating Tiki.

From the Tiki Central definition page:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/about.php

"Everyone here at Tiki Central is passionate about the Polynesian Pop movement. While the exact edges are blurry, we can give you a bit of insight into what Tiki Central is not about:

Itís not about the Caribbean/Key west design aesthetic
Itís not about Reggae..."

Don't get me wrong. I like Reggae and I like Palapa huts. But I don't want them called Tiki. And if Locating Tiki gets cluttered up with non-Polynesian-Pop locations, then it makes it hard to find the real ones when doing searches.

Thanks,

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-31 10:02 am   Permalink

I've been there, and it's just like every other beachside/waterfront restaurant in Florida. Nice enough, I guess, but hardly tiki.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-21 07:30 am   Permalink

Extra ditto what Sabu said.

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation