FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Grogalizer 2.0 is LIVE!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Grogalizer 2.0 is LIVE!
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-15 09:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-15 00:31, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Just got to use it, with "what can I make with", I made the wife Swanky's Magic and Baron Samedi. I can't drink them since I'm on a diet, but she liked them.
I like the interface, thanks a lot Swanky.

Ran

Kewl. I'm interested in feedback on my first public recipe...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-15 7:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-12 03:16, phinz wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-11 21:28, Potato. wrote:
Don't forget us Android users! I know the iPhone's the hip place to be right now, but Android's picking up and we want out grog too!

+1

And another +1

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-20 5:31 pm   Permalink

Great site, I use it all the time!

Am I mistaken, or did you previously have a feature where you could click on a certain liquor or mixer, and it would tell you ALL the recipies that called for that certain item. (Not just the ones that you had the ingredients for) That way, if say I got my hands on a bottle of Allspice Dram, I could see all the recipies that call for it, and then go out and buy the ingredients I don't have so I could make those drinks. Maybe I'm just missing it, but I thought it was in the old site.

Again, THANKS for the effort!

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-21 10:13 am   Permalink

I'm really enjoying the new interface. Thanks for all your work on this Swanky.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-21 1:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-20 17:31, Lukeulele wrote:
Great site, I use it all the time!

Am I mistaken, or did you previously have a feature where you could click on a certain liquor or mixer, and it would tell you ALL the recipies that called for that certain item. (Not just the ones that you had the ingredients for) That way, if say I got my hands on a bottle of Allspice Dram, I could see all the recipies that call for it, and then go out and buy the ingredients I don't have so I could make those drinks. Maybe I'm just missing it, but I thought it was in the old site.

Again, THANKS for the effort!

Try this. Go to the "My Bar" tab and go to the ingredient you are wanting to search for. Then click the "Which can I make?" link.

I have been trying to get back to my old habit of opening up the Grogalizer each evening, going down the list to the next drink I have never made, trying it with Mrs Swanky and voting. That's what we do for fun around the Hideaway...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-21 4:59 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

Try this. Go to the "My Bar" tab and go to the ingredient you are wanting to search for. Then click the "Which can I make?" link.

[/quote]

Swanky,
I do that, but I thought there was another option where it would tell you all the recipies for that ingredient.

For instance, When I punch in Papaya Nectar, there are 6 recipies that call for it. I can only make 4 with my ingredients on hand. I'd like to know what the other two recipies are. For some reason I thought this was an option on the old site, but I'm probably dreaming it up.

Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: Lukeulele 2010-07-21 17:00 ]

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-21 5:14 pm   Permalink

You can tell it to search for everything that you have all ingredients for, need one ingredient for or need two ingredients for. Try that.

traderscotts.com

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-21 5:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-21 17:14, phinz wrote:
You can tell it to search for everything that you have all ingredients for, need one ingredient for or need two ingredients for. Try that.

Did that too, Phinz! But I guess I am missing more than two ingredients to find out what the other recipies are.
Guess I gotta do it the "old school" way and actually flip through the books! lol
Thanks!
Luke (enjoying a tasty "Reverb Crash" thanks to the Grogolizer!)

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-22 09:26 am   Permalink

The old "Special Search" worked similarly. It showed what you could make with a specific ingredient. I don't think it showed all recipes regardless of what you had, but I might not recall correctly either...

TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-12-12 12:33 pm   Permalink

The Grogalizer is great, but I have two requests:

1. A feature that suggests what should be the next item you add to your bar based on how many additional drinks you can make if you add that ingredient. So, for example if by simply adding Grenadine you could make an additional 4 drinks (the most with a simple ingredient purchase), that would be the first suggestion. Having it suggest two ingredients would be a bonus.

2. My bar isn't very well stocked and I don't have the resources to buy 8 different kinds of rum. I know this might hurt some of the purists, but I'd love to have a "cheap bastard" option that lumps similar rums together so I can make a drink with a Puerta Rican rum instead of a Cuban (for example). I don't know enough about runs to know which can be substituted, but I bet the Grogalizer does.

Maybe it's possible to do these things now, and I'm just missing something.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-12 2:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-12 12:33, TikiTacky wrote:

2. My bar isn't very well stocked and I don't have the resources to buy 8 different kinds of rum. I know this might hurt some of the purists, but I'd love to have a "cheap bastard" option that lumps similar rums together so I can make a drink with a Puerta Rican rum instead of a Cuban (for example). I don't know enough about runs to know which can be substituted, but I bet the Grogalizer does.

Here's my suggestion for you, and what I do. Under the "My Bar" tab, simply choose other ingredients that are similar to what you have. For instance, if you have a gold dry rum (for argument's sake, let's say you have Bacardi Gold). Select "Gold Virgin Islands Rum," "Bacardi Gold Rum," "Cruzan Gold Rum," "Gold Cuban Rum" etc. Do the same if you have 151 Cruzan Rum - choose "151 Puerto Rican Rum" as well as "Bacardi 151 Rum." If you have one Bourbon, choose "Bourbon" as well as "Old Granddad Bourbon." Then you will always get recipes that have ingredients that are similar enough not to make a huge difference in the cocktails you make.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-12-12 3:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried to do that, but the problem is that I'm not so sure what my rums are like. I have three rums (I'm not counting Barcardi as rum, because it's actually floor polish): Flor de Caña Extra Dry 4-Year, Flor de Caña Gold 4-Year, and Kraken. Would the Gold count as everything listed as Gold? What about the Extra Dry? I'm guessing Kraken is only "Spiced Rum."

I promise I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just not particularly experienced in this regard. I didn't really drink until I was in my thirties (long story), and I've got some catching up to do.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-13 08:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-12 15:43, TikiTacky wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried to do that, but the problem is that I'm not so sure what my rums are like. I have three rums (I'm not counting Barcardi as rum, because it's actually floor polish): Flor de Caña Extra Dry 4-Year, Flor de Caña Gold 4-Year, and Kraken. Would the Gold count as everything listed as Gold? What about the Extra Dry? I'm guessing Kraken is only "Spiced Rum."

I promise I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just not particularly experienced in this regard. I didn't really drink until I was in my thirties (long story), and I've got some catching up to do.

I am not a purist myself. I generally use about 4 or 5 rums. Let's see...

Lemon Hart 151 (I have lots actually) and there is only one substitute, and that's an 80 proof Demerara..

Myers, when it calls for Myers.
Appleton VX or Extra (dark Jamaican rum and I use it as a sub for Demerara and anything dark)
Appleton Special Gold
Appleton or really any white

I try to have a Martinique Amber on hand (Clement), but I don't really mix with it much other than a Mai Tai.

That is it. Of course, you are asking "When it says Barabdos rum, what's the sub? Gold, Jamaican?" That's a little tougher I am afraid.

But as above, I just check all the rums as if I have them and sub on the fly. I have more stuff on hand, and if I own what is called for, I use it. If I am making the 3rd round for 4 of us, no way I am wasting hard to find Demerara in a Navy Grog when the Appleton will make us all just as happy.

As for the other one, it is not an easy click, but, at least each ingredient has a number of recipes you can make with it. That helps. Especially when you look at the price of a bottle of Stoh and see it makes 1 recipe. Skip that and get something more useful. (You don't want to make that recipe anyway...)

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-13 4:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-12 15:43, TikiTacky wrote:
Flor de Caña Extra Dry 4-Year, Flor de Caña Gold 4-Year, and Kraken. Would the Gold count as everything listed as Gold? What about the Extra Dry? I'm guessing Kraken is only "Spiced Rum."

I have never personally used Flor de Caña, but I've read that it's fine substitute for Puerto Rican/Cuban/Virgin Island rums. I would assume less so for drinks that call for rums of other areas. But perhaps the best judge is your own taste buds. Try your rums with cocktail recipes. If you like the drinks, then it's a success.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-19 11:18 pm   Permalink

Since very few of the drinks in Appendix II of Remixed (new recipes from the Tiki revival) are listed in the Grogazlier, I thought it might make sense to start some discussion on those drinks.

So far I've sampled seven. Following are my ratings and a few comments:

Cuzco Fizz - 8
Velo - 8
Beachbum - 6
Vava Voom - 4
Voyager - 4
Beachbum's Arrival - 2
Pamplemousse Punch - 2

I just recently purchased my first bottle of St. Germain elderflower liquor and I'm really digging it. The Cuzco Fizz and Velo both put it to great use, are relatively simple to make and yet are very creative and exotic. Let it also be noted that neither is rum-based.

Full disclosure: I used a generic apricot brandy instead of Rothman & Winter so I may not be giving the Beachbum a fair shake. A very solid drink nonetheless. Vava Voom and Voyager just didn't feel well-balanced to my palate. And the last two totally fell flat.

Has anyone else delved into the non-Beachbum drinks in Remixed?

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation