FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Grogalizer 2.0 is LIVE!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Grogalizer 2.0 is LIVE!
GhettoBum Anne

Posted: 2011-01-12 07:08 am   Permalink

I'm a big fan of Grogalizer 2.0, but yes, I've also been making quite a few drinks from the back of Remixed. There sure are a lot of specific brand recommendations for liquor nowadays! With a few generic substitutions for Gold Puerto Rican rum, Italian vermouth, etc., this is what we think so far:

Arawak Cocktail 7
Ariki Mau 6
Colibri 8
Coachella Cooler 7
Dead Reckoning 8
Dharma Bum 5
Farewell Flip 8
Frohito 6
Gantt's Tomb 8
Garrett's Maitini 9
Ginger and Lime Capirissima 8
Glass Bottom Boat 7
Kiwi's Nest Grog 8
Kon Tiki-Ti Punch 8
Lemon Mint Squash 7
Little Polynesian 7
Margarita del Bum 6
Pololu 7
Rumscullian 5
Soursop Sour 7
Tiki Teetotaler 8
Velo 8
Voyager 7
Zadaran Storm 8

View Profile of GhettoBum Anne Send a personal message to GhettoBum Anne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 08:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-12 07:08, GhettoBum Anne wrote:
I'm a big fan of Grogalizer 2.0, but yes, I've also been making quite a few drinks from the back of Remixed. There sure are a lot of specific brand recommendations for liquor nowadays! With a few generic substitutions for Gold Puerto Rican rum, Italian vermouth, etc., this is what we think so far:

Arawak Cocktail 7
Ariki Mau 6
Colibri 8
Coachella Cooler 7
Dead Reckoning 8
Dharma Bum 5
Farewell Flip 8
Frohito 6
Gantt's Tomb 8
Garrett's Maitini 9
Ginger and Lime Capirissima 8
Glass Bottom Boat 7
Kiwi's Nest Grog 8
Kon Tiki-Ti Punch 8
Lemon Mint Squash 7
Little Polynesian 7
Margarita del Bum 6
Pololu 7
Rumscullian 5
Soursop Sour 7
Tiki Teetotaler 8
Velo 8
Voyager 7
Zadaran Storm 8

Anne is a top contributor to the Grogalizer.

Good to have more options and someone else finding the clunkers and the gems!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rangda
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-12 2:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Full disclosure: I used a generic apricot brandy instead of Rothman & Winter so I may not be giving the Beachbum a fair shake.

I have not yet tried R&W but I use Marie Brizard Apry and I can tell you that there is a world of difference between the MB and generic apricot liqueur. The former tastes (and smells) like fresh apricots mixed with a decent cognac, the latter tasted like vaguely apricot flavored rocket fuel. I don't use no name liqueur's of any variety; I find that the upper end liqueur's make a world of difference in the taste of a drink (tiki or otherwise)

Here's what I use:

• apricot liqueur = Marie Brizard Apry
  • blackberry liqueur = Mathilde Cassis Liqueur (Marie Brizard makes a blackberry but this is used so infrequently I use creme de cassis as I use that in some non-tiki drinks)
  • creme de cacao = Marie Brizard CDC
  • creme de banana = Marie Brizard CDB
  • curacao = Senior Curacao of Curacao (yes that is it's name)
  • triple sec = Cointreau
  • peach liqueur = Mathilde Peches Liqueur

I haven't made many drinks from Appendix II but here are the few I've done:

Opaka Raka 7 (maybe better with less Don's #2)
Vava Voom 9
Voyager 9

Here's a few from Appendix I

Kon-Tini 10
Restless Native 8
Sea of Cortez 6
Yellow Submarine 9

View Profile of rangda Send a personal message to rangda      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-18 8:16 pm   Permalink

Will the tiki+ app ever be available in the new MacApp store? I would actually like to have a version on my desktop.

[ This Message was edited by: SuperEight 2011-02-18 20:16 ]

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-19 2:54 pm   Permalink

I find that if your going to use a brand of all encompassing "stock" liqueurs, its good to go by the following order

Marie Brizard
Mr Boston
Dekuyper (the products are ok for some things, but they all are way to sugary)
but at all costs avoid Arrow( It burns....Oh it burns!!!!)

Of course it's always best to try and use the original spirits then the more commercially available "knock offs", but if you are on a budget they will do just fine. There are always some regional variations but these tend to be the most distributed.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-21 09:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-18 20:16, SuperEight wrote:
Will the tiki+ app ever be available in the new MacApp store? I would actually like to have a version on my desktop.

[ This Message was edited by: SuperEight 2011-02-18 20:16 ]

Do you mean in the iTunes app store? It is there. Got it on the iPhone and iPad. Where possible, I use it instead of the books because it is FAR easier to read in the bar!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 9:51 pm   Permalink

Us poor Droid users still have to carry the books around with us....*sniff sniff*....ooooooo, pretty pictures.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
just sayin

Posted: 2011-03-03 11:24 am   Permalink

hey guys, i notice that 'amber virgin island rum' and 'gold virgin island rum' are seperate options... are they the same? i also have that problem w/ 'appleton special gold' and 'jamaican gold rum'... arent they both the same? i guess i should just select both but i just wanted to check.

View Profile of just sayin Send a personal message to just sayin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-03 12:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-03 11:24, just sayin wrote:
hey guys, i notice that 'amber virgin island rum' and 'gold virgin island rum' are seperate options... are they the same? i also have that problem w/ 'appleton special gold' and 'jamaican gold rum'... arent they both the same? i guess i should just select both but i just wanted to check.

I feel your pain!

I volunteered to work with The Bum to normalize his ingredients. Putting all these in I had to decide on a lot of things. Simple ones like "Simple Syrup" and "Sugar Syrup" to a lot more difficult choices.

I generally check all the rums and make decisions about what I have that fits the bill when I look up the recipe. If I have the sepcific rum called for I use it. If it calls for Barbencourt 5 Star and I have 3, I'll use that. Such is life behind the bar and inside the Grogalizer.

In my bar, Appleton Special is the Jamaican Gold, and every other Gold rum called for, but your results may vary.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs coming Spring 2011!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2011-03-03 12:11 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-16 12:38 pm   Permalink

As of Sept 16th 2011, there are only 4 drinks in the Grogalizer that have not been made and voted on. We need to change that! They are:

Cafe a la Queen of Tonga
Pequod Punch
Cou-Cou Comber
Whitecap

Don't let a cucumber scare ya!
So close!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 12:07 pm   Permalink

I just added Basement Kahuna's most recent and by his estimation, best recipe, the Ghost Ship to the Grogalizer.

The Bum revealed it here.

SLOSHED! reviewed it here.

Stirrings Blood Orange Bitters has kept me from making this one. Have not put in any internet orders lately and no one carries it in town. It is an odd bird being A) non-alcoholic and B) not bitter... You can imagine what 1/2 ounce of regular orange bitters would do to a drink!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2012-06-06 12:12 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-22 1:14 pm   Permalink

Having sampled a few of them at Smuggler's Cove, and planning to make a few this weekend, I added Martin's 2070 Swizzle to the Grogalizer today. A great drink!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-12 10:46 am   Permalink

FYI:

Due to a rash of bots creating fake logins on the Grogalizer, I have had to purge all accounts where there are no items in the bar, or votes or comments. If you can't log in, you may have been purged.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-12 10:58 am   Permalink

Holy crap. I forgot about the Grogalizer. I haven't used that in YEARS.

Thanks Swanky. And I obviously was away WAY too long. I forgot that it was your site.

You know, you should add the finalists from the APE Drink contest. (I might be biased, since two of them are mine. Also, I haven't made them in YEARS, and there's a good chance they suck, and need reworked. They were some of my first recipes.)

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-12 10:59 am   Permalink

Post Script

It needs to be an app, or even a web app. Surely someone around the tiki parts knows how to code for iOS. I would buy it in a minute.

Anyway, thanks again for bumping this. I'm going to re-register now!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation