FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Grogalizer now includes Smuggler's Cove recipes!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
Grogalizer now includes Smuggler's Cove recipes!
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-02-07 4:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-02 05:03, Swanky wrote:

Not all recipes are there. If they aren't it's because it has some rather obscure ingredient. I made the choice not to grow the ingredient list o much and when an ingredient is only in 1 recipe, I just skip the recipe.

Just realized I never added the SC category rums to my bar, which is why Undead Gentleman wasn't showing up in my initial search.

My two cents, for what it's worth: I know the website is well established in its current format and no doubt you've put countless hours into the ingredient portion of it which we applaud you for, but for me I'd assume just bypass that altogether and instead have a listing of all the drinks from all the sources that could be searched alphabetically, by highest ranking, etc. The ingredient list makes more sense in the Total Tiki app that has the actual recipes and can encourage us to purchase new things to try more drinks. It seems a little redundant to have to go through that process again on Grogalizer, especially if certain drinks are completely omitted because you don't want to add ones with obscure ingredients. For my purposes anyway, I like to sort by other people's rankings, which gives me motivation to try out drinks I maybe hadn't considered, and helps me avoid ones that no one seems to like. Likewise, I try to rank and comment on many of the drinks I've made to allow others the same courtesy. Often times I find I can't find a drink that I'm specifically looking for when going through the list of ones I have all the ingredients for, only to realize it's not there cuz I haven't updated my bar. Just seems an unnecessary step for me personally. Maybe an easy fix would be to have another option in the drop down menu to search the entire database, regardless of ingredients. Again, just my take, others mileage may vary. It's a great resource and I'm happy you still keep on top of it.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-08 04:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-07 16:03, mikehooker wrote:
Quote:

On 2018-02-02 05:03, Swanky wrote:

Not all recipes are there. If they aren't it's because it has some rather obscure ingredient. I made the choice not to grow the ingredient list o much and when an ingredient is only in 1 recipe, I just skip the recipe.

Just realized I never added the SC category rums to my bar, which is why Undead Gentleman wasn't showing up in my initial search.

My two cents, for what it's worth: I know the website is well established in its current format and no doubt you've put countless hours into the ingredient portion of it which we applaud you for, but for me I'd assume just bypass that altogether and instead have a listing of all the drinks from all the sources that could be searched alphabetically, by highest ranking, etc. The ingredient list makes more sense in the Total Tiki app that has the actual recipes and can encourage us to purchase new things to try more drinks. It seems a little redundant to have to go through that process again on Grogalizer, especially if certain drinks are completely omitted because you don't want to add ones with obscure ingredients. For my purposes anyway, I like to sort by other people's rankings, which gives me motivation to try out drinks I maybe hadn't considered, and helps me avoid ones that no one seems to like. Likewise, I try to rank and comment on many of the drinks I've made to allow others the same courtesy. Often times I find I can't find a drink that I'm specifically looking for when going through the list of ones I have all the ingredients for, only to realize it's not there cuz I haven't updated my bar. Just seems an unnecessary step for me personally. Maybe an easy fix would be to have another option in the drop down menu to search the entire database, regardless of ingredients. Again, just my take, others mileage may vary. It's a great resource and I'm happy you still keep on top of it.

Thanks for the input. It was just my personal opinion that I didn't want the ingredient list to explode. It started with those weird one off recipes in the back or one of th ebooks. I forget. Had a smoke Mai Tai or something?

Anyone who doesn't care about lots more ingredients if it gives more options and info, chime in here.

I do need to get in and tweak more. I noticed some weird behavior the other day.

I also like your idea. I've know people who just check every ingredient, which is counter productive. A "Show All" option.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-08 10:44 am   Permalink

I'm in favor of adding more ingredients and here's why. I thought about this a bit and concluded (realized that for me at least) that as we get more serious about our home bars we need to "curate" the contents more. But if 90% of Grogalizer users would be hampered by adding all the other esoteric ingredients, adding the one-off stuff could make the tool less fun. Then maybe this could be solved by adding an "advanced" section in each of the "my bar" categories for those who care to go more thoroughly into the book. You could make it a drop-down sort of option where it would stay collapsed if the user chooses not to go there. Then this might serve both relative newcomers and those with bigger bars (or broader aspirations) equally well.

Thinking out loud here, thanks for listening. It's a great tool.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-08 12:22 pm   Permalink

I also think a "show all" recipe list with the associated books could be useful. Of course, it's pretty darn useful as it is!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 08:11 am   Permalink

It has caught up with me. I have needed to upgrade the Captcha for a while and now it is dead. New users can't register. I'll get it fixed when I can get to it...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 06:34 am   Permalink

Registration is working again.

Grogalizer 3.0 is coming soon!

blacksheep uncle

Posted: 3 days ago; 10:48 am   Permalink

OMG...how am I just finding this now! this is awesome!

View Profile of blacksheep uncle Send a personal message to blacksheep uncle  Goto the website of blacksheep uncle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 06:07 am   Permalink

It is indeed an awesome utility, especially for the novice tiki mixologist. Even if you don't have the books referenced, at least you can get to a starting point for what you can make with what you have. I really appreciate the "missing one/two ingredients" filter, since it gives me an idea of what other ingredients to shop for to make my bar as functional as it can be given limited resources.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 05:26 am   Permalink

The new version makes that stuff even easier, and it's smart phone compatible! Very excited about the new release!

JCorduroy

Posted: Yesterday; 09:47 am   Permalink

I've got an inkling that I'm either completely overlooking something or just, overall, being a big dummy - is there a way to view a drinks recipe that I can make?

View Profile of JCorduroy Send a personal message to JCorduroy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: Yesterday; 11:28 am   Permalink

JC - the app is for folks who already own the books. It helps you use the books better by providing a number of electronic views which are very helpful. It also allows you to track our inventory and then it suggests recipes based on what you have available. And much, much more.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JCorduroy

Posted: Yesterday; 12:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-04-20 11:28, AceExplorer wrote:
JC - the app is for folks who already own the books. It helps you use the books better by providing a number of electronic views which are very helpful. It also allows you to track our inventory and then it suggests recipes based on what you have available. And much, much more.

Ah, so the 'being a dummy' aspect was definitely in play. I do own the books, but for some reason got it stuck in my head that the recipes would be on there as well. Thanks!

View Profile of JCorduroy Send a personal message to JCorduroy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation