FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Where are all the RED Tiki Mugs??
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Where are all the RED Tiki Mugs??
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-02 4:40 pm   Permalink

Anyone who knows me knows I am obsessed with the color red. Especially dark, bloody, garnet-burgundy sorts of reds.

I am tired of brown, green, etc. I admit it.

I would love to find a red/wine/burgundy Tiki Mug, any vintage, any god, whatever. Closest I've come are a growly Tikifarm guy with big teeth (the glaze is creamy white edged with red) and a purplish-wine, kind of queasy colored newer mug, not very appealing.

So, am I tilting at windmills here? Is my dream attainable?

Help.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-02 4:59 pm   Permalink

Simply put...

For the perfect finish start here

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Lanai in exotic Bel Air MD!

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki on 2003-05-02 17:04 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-05-02 6:09 pm   Permalink

Some of the Sneaky Tikis from Harvey's are red and black, and I have a Fog Cutter with red around the base and lip.

And don't forget Munktiki's mighty Evil Bastard!

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-02 6:11 pm   Permalink

Here's a couple red ones for you:

Munktiki Evil Bastard

The Tikis Moai

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-02 6:14 pm   Permalink

And don't forget Munktiki's Lil Bastard!

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-02 6:23 pm   Permalink

Simply put, there is no such thing as a safe red glaze. They are all poison. That's why there are no reds. If a mug is for show, maybe, but if you made it, someone would drink from it and you'd be killing them, slowly.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-02 6:30 pm   Permalink

Are you sure? Because what's with the red dinnerware I saw last Christmas at Crate 'n Barrel, then?

Although I'd believe any wickedness of C'nB...joke, joke, sort of.

In any case, iz not possible put red glaze outside, other glaze inside? just curious.

Thanks so much for the info, guys!!! I really appreciate it.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuckieshaft
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-02 6:41 pm   Permalink

Maybe you're joking but all red glazes being poison is not true.
The glaze I use is totally food safe. Vintage red glazes may have lead in them but the new glazes out are all lead and uranium oxide free. One major company I buy my supplies from resently even removed all of the leaded glazes from their catalogue.
-stuckie

View Profile of stuckieshaft Send a personal message to stuckieshaft  Goto the website of stuckieshaft     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-05-02 6:44 pm   Permalink

There's also that neato Frankoma mug in the BOT, and which Sabu talked about a while back (here), but I think his was a lighter color.

And Bosko had/has a couple of nice red mugs over the years.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-03 01:49 am   Permalink

Heeeeey, Tikivixen!

I'm also obsessed with the color red! I have a red candle shrine, (albeit a small one), in the bedroom...red candles are absolutely the best when burning! I'm always on the prowl for interesting red candles.

I prefer a classic red ranging to shades of crimson, and I love the combo of red, bright orange, and fuschia together and have designed a 60's mod room using them. (I usually warn people before I take them in there!!)

I bought some red leather pants while in LA. Wore them out--no big deal. Wore them out in the Seattle area last weekend and you'd think I was wearing what the Mondo Tiki bikini gals had on by the attention I got! I was really surprised. I guess people in different cities react differently to certain clothing styles or colors. I actually had some guy that I didn't know yell out at me and ask me if I was from LA, ha ha. Moral of the story...if you want to slink around unnoticed, don't go out in red. You probably have some red stories you could share, don't you...

I've been on this intense red kick for more than a year and I see no end in sight...glad to hear of your passion too! If I can figure out how to design my own Tiki Mug I'll make one for you with reds in it. I don't know who you are since I don't have much time to get here lately--but since you like red you must be ok--that's logic for you, ha ha). I know you have no idea who I am either so we're even...

I just had to say something when I saw the topic. :::: Clinking my strawberry margarita glass against your red Bordeaux:::

*~ Exoticat ~*

p.s. You mentioned Crate & Barrel...I don't know if they still carry it, but did you ever see the retro looking duvet with the big red poppies? I have that, and don't even notice how bright the red in it is anymore...

[ This Message was edited by: exoticat on 2003-05-03 01:54 ]

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-03 01:58 am   Permalink

The bright red TIKIS moai is the classic red mug. I have a few, and they are *screaming* red. They are, however, very difficult to come across, not to mention the bicentennial version in red/white/blue (got one of those too thank you very much sir) there is also a white and a blue, etc

Anyway- red is not necessarily toxic. Duncan makes a bright red glaze, which i believe is nontoxic. But as a general rule, dont drink out of any warm-colored vintage mugs. Especially the older kahiki mugs as the owner himself told me those had lead in them. (post hoffman era)

I have the Red frankoma mug, it is more of an orangey-red than Fire Engine red.. it also has the typical Frankoma gradations in the glaze.

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-05-03 02:00 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-03 02:18 am   Permalink

I love red too. All lipsticks I own are red. Tiki Farms "Hot Head" mug is brown but has red flames over his head. It's my only new, non-repro mug.

Here's a funny red story. I was getting some red paint for my bedroom, at Home Depot and told the girl I wanted some ceiling paint in the same red. She looked at me funny and said "Are you sure you want it that dark in your room?" I said "I want it to look like a cheesy whore house" She said OOOOO. K. and started mixing. I still have to paint that room, it's last on my list (ceilings suck). Next room is orange. My living room is chartruse, sons room is two colors of blue, and the kitchen/dining room will soon be sunny yellow. I'm thinking of painting my hallway black with some kind of funky lighting but I don't know. Some day, I'll probably, want all white walls but everytime you repaint, the room gets a little bit smaller. AHHHHHH!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-03 04:59 am   Permalink

I am having some comemmerative tiki mugs made
and had asked for them to be red. The maker said red was difficult for him for one reason or another but he would try. The tests came out looking pink. We decided to go with green.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-03 09:47 am   Permalink

It's really a matter of levels of toxicity. There may be red glazes out there that are "safe", but they are not totally safe. It is just impossible. I am sure it is much "safer" to eat off a red plate than to drink from a red mug.

This is from Saint Thomas. If there were a safe red glaze, he should know. There are reds out there, but they are not truly safe. That's why we don't have a St. Thomas flaming red mini volcano bowl for Hukilau.

But, the truth is that as seldom as we drink from a mug, and we are drinking cold, rather than hot, it's probably a slight risk overall.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-03 11:32 am   Permalink

Saint Thomas is making my mugs (for a golf tournament). These are prototypes.

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-05-03 11:33 ]

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation