FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Found this Kahiki fountain mug (?) at thrift store
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Found this Kahiki fountain mug (?) at thrift store
Spaceboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-08 12:44 am   Permalink

I'm not sure if this should be posted in another thread or not, so please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong.

I found this thing at a thrift store, and so far, nobody can tell me anything about it.

It's not the typical mug that we're used to seeing. This is something else. A pencil holder perhaps? a mug prototype? It's ceramic, but painted, not glazed, and it has some cream white paint on it that looks like it doesn't belong. It may have been painted on by the last owner.

Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

Here's a side detail

View Profile of Spaceboy Send a personal message to Spaceboy  Email Spaceboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 02:55 am   Permalink

A home crafted mug perhaps?

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 04:02 am   Permalink

Nice find. Is that a date next to the name? And looks like it has a trademark circle also.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Spaceboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-08 07:21 am   Permalink

Close as I can tell it says "Cindy's M.W. (6)"
The 6 is inside a circle like a trademark symbol.

I think if it had been a crafter item there would be many more of them out there. That would indicate a commercial mold had been made. So far nobody has ever seen this before. I figured this would be the place to ask.

View Profile of Spaceboy Send a personal message to Spaceboy  Email Spaceboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 11:04 am   Permalink

I thinks it says "Cindys MUG " look closer with a sharp eye Space.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 11:04, 1961surf wrote:

Well, that's what I thought and so I guessed it ti be home made.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 3:18 pm   Permalink

Maybe it says "Cindy's Dog"?
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Spaceboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-08 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 11:04, 1961surf wrote:

No, it's definitely not MUG. That middle letter looks like a W and there are periods between them. Also that last symbol is certainly not a G.

It's made from a mold for certain also.

Spaceboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-08 4:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 12:18, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

If that were the case, this would probably be a very common item and chances are someone would have seen it before.

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 5:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 16:11, Spaceboy wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-04-08 12:18, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

If that were the case, this would probably be a very common item and chances are someone would have seen it before.

Well OK, unless it was a one-off. But you live in Kahiki land, maybe it's from there. Have you checked out the old menus?

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-04-08 7:31 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to see these side by side.

BTW, nice find!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Spaceboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-08 10:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 19:31, Hakalugi wrote:
I just wanted to see these side by side.

Thanks.

Spaceboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-14 01:18 am   Permalink

Nobody knows anything about this?
This is very surprising to me. I figured if anyone had seen this, it would be Tiki Central people.

Yes, I live in Kahiki land. None of my friends know anything either.

SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-14 05:27 am   Permalink

I'll add my $.02 . . from the thickness of the "mug" walls I doubt it was cast from a mold. It looks like a sculpted piece to me. So it may well be the only one in the world. Cool, and kinda sad at the same time. It's a great idea for a mug.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-16 12:03 am   Permalink

Unique. The fact that it was found at a thrift store indicates that it is older...or was an unappreciated present. It is intriguing that perhaps sometime before the Tiki Revival someone named Cindy was inspired by that entrance fountain, which is one of the oddest attempts at Maori art in Poly pop, only comparable to the strange Paddle Sucker mug. It looks really sad there in that clinical environment at Kahiki Foods (above), it is missing its muse...

And the mug is not at all like the candle holder the Tsaos had made a while ago. Always wanted to have one of those:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation