[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Disguising a fridge
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Disguising a fridge
Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-08 03:10 am   Permalink

Just wondering how others have disguised their fridge.
I have a medium size fridge in my bar and I want to make it less obvious, any ideas? paint, tapa, ect ect.
Post some pictures of yours!
Trader Bob.....

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 06:48 am   Permalink

Put a sign on the front that says "FREE BEER". Everyone will think its the most beautiful thing they've ever seen!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 07:01 am   Permalink

Just get some hawaiian fabric and glue it to te front. You can use magnets for a temporary hold to see if you like it.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-08 08:41 am   Permalink

I may cover mine in fabric...what is the best kind of glue to do that with?

Looking forward to seeing pictures of other fridges.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 09:05 am   Permalink

one of the Easyiest ways and best looking paint it Gloss Black ruststoluem , do it in a garage some were its not dusty or windy the paint drys slow so it,ll flow out and leave no dry sreaks . the black looks great doesent stand out and can always add decor to highlight it . when I was in the Custom car days we had a store next to us were they sold refurburshed frigs stoves ect we painted them from Candy apple red to Purple yellow ect . just my ideas .

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-08 09:12 am   Permalink

I agree- painting is a good way to go, though you could use it as a canvas for a specific design.

I worked for a painting company that did interiors and props for Chevy's back in the day, and we
painted many a fridge door with lots of ageing and often lettering (Icy Cold Beer! etc with
those cool icy cold fonts) I think a tiki scene would be awesome! Make sure to seal it against
scratches when done.

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-04-08 09:36 am   Permalink

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to replace the handles with something like this:

This particular refrigerator door pull is available from here:
http://www.firstimpressionsint.com/refrigeratordoorpulls.html

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 3:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 06:48, AlohaStation wrote:
Put a sign on the front that says "FREE BEER". Everyone will think its the most beautiful thing they've ever seen!

Now THAT'S funny!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 6:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 08:41, VampiressRN wrote:
I may cover mine in fabric...what is the best kind of glue to do that with?

Looking forward to seeing pictures of other fridges.

I have had good luck with 3M Industrial Spray Adhesive's Heavy Duty grade, you will find it at Home Depot etc.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-10 8:11 pm   Permalink

Any pictures?
Need some inspiration, I hate looking at the thing its depressing me!
Trader Bob...

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-10 8:24 pm   Permalink

http://tinyurl.com/y9s8fga

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 06:08 am   Permalink

Don't be depressed Bob. I have this monster behind the bar. Early 1950's Kalvinator. If someone was to give this thing any energy star rating I'm sure the star would go supernova in a heartbeat. I haven't been able to come up with any ideas to make it fit in better so there it sits. Vintage house, vintage bar and vintage Kalvinator. But it keeps everything nice and cold.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-11 08:01 am   Permalink

That is a great fridge trav...you don't really need to disguise it.

If I got a bamboo print wallpaper, what do I glue it on with and seems like I would still need to paint around the edges and gasket? What kind of paint will work on the gasket and not peel off?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 09:57 am   Permalink

I agree, Trav. Let it stand out. It just screams Mid Century rumpus room.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-11 10:47 am   Permalink

OK Trader Bob, here's some inspiration for you. These are not tiki, but just proof that a fridge CAN be painted

(This could be shelves full of rums instead of books)

Another option would be to pick out or design a graphic you like and have it printed on vinyl and wrapped like I did my BBQ

(PS - I got permission from the artist)

Note to future TC generations - since this is not tiki artwork I linked to these pictures rather than uploaded them to TC. After a while they will have linkrot and be gone

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation