FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Makiki Tiki's Mugs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Makiki Tiki's Mugs
Makiki Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-22 02:03 am   Permalink

The double tiki is still sitting on the shelf waiting for bisque. The guild has a couple of workshops so those pieces got priority. Here's a piece that came out of bisque earlier that I got around to glazing. It took almost two hours to glaze cause there's a bunch of porcelain bits added on that can break off if you're not careful. The teeth and eyes should come out a shiny white even without any glaze. It probably going to be a couple of weeks before it gets fired, there's a lot of other pieces in front of mine.

View Profile of Makiki Tiki Send a personal message to Makiki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-24 4:57 pm   Permalink

VanTiki taught you well, good job. Cute photo of yourself too. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Makiki Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-26 03:58 am   Permalink

Thanks Wendy, All credit goes to Vantiki. He's a really great instuctor. Super fun and very willing to share his skill. I just wish I had nearly the vision and artistic talent as him. Three mugs went into the kiln this yesterday, should be ready by Thursday . Made a tiki shot set this week, 4 stacking cups, hope it works, will take some picts soon.

View Profile of Makiki Tiki Send a personal message to Makiki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 8:26 pm   Permalink

All I can say is, these are truly amazing. I wish I could take Van's class... Obviously genius is contagious!

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-04-30 20:27 ]

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Makiki Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-01 11:39 am   Permalink

Thanks Zero. Here's some picts of a stacking set I'm working on. The four should be able to stacking in any order. Each one was individually hand built, hopefully I left enough room for glaze. I'll either use magnesium dioxide or chromium oxide to finish the outside. Have to do a test with CrO, if it works, it should look like they were carved from lava rocks. Each mug is about 3" tall.

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 4:20 pm   Permalink

Those stackers are cool. I look forward to seeing them glazed.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 4:29 pm   Permalink

Love your mugs !

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Makiki Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-04 04:41 am   Permalink

Stackers have been glazed with Cobalt Oxide, not CrO, and are waiting for the next firing. Guild members must be scared to handle the giant double mug because it is still waiting to be bisqued. Worked all night at the guild (to 1:00 am) and here's the latest work in progress...

Probably got a few more sessions to finish this guy up. Right now it's about 10" tall.

Makiki Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-12 04:37 am   Permalink

Been pretty busy at the clay studio. Been closing that place out, it usually closes at 10 pm but they gave me a key so I've been there past midnight on several occasions this week. Time flies when I'm making mugs. Here's some updated picts of my latest mug. I've carved in all the detail and will hit it with some underglaze highlights once it dries out a bit.

The double mug and the 4 stackers are in the gloss kiln right now and should be finished by Sunday...Can't wait!!! Also, here a pict of the completed reptile looking mug. Enjoy!

I'll have to start selling my mugs soon. First I gotta pay for studio time and clay. Second I have about 30 mugs all over the house. I love to make them but now they are starting to take up too much space. We'll see, there's still a few more nooks and crannies...

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 04:50 am   Permalink

That big fella above is fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing him finished.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-12 05:58 am   Permalink

Great work!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Makiki Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-19 04:33 am   Permalink

Thanks Swizzle and Zero, glad you like them.

Here's the finished Double Tiki. This guy is 13.5 inches tall and weighs almost 7 pounds. He leans a little forward but is still stable on a hard surface. Will have to make some modifications to the base, a 1/16" widget should do.

The Stacker. The stackers were crafted from the depths of a blue volcano (Cobalt oxide) so they have a blue ting. It's most noticeable on the porcelain teeth. The mugs are actually a super dark blue, nearly black. Mugs will stack in any order.

Finally, here's an update of the latest mug. I'll call it the Ali'i because of the royal colors... He's off to bisque. I'll finish it with a good dose of red iron oxide so the colors shouldn't be so bold. It should look like it was sitting in the forest for while.

Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-19 11:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-12 04:37, Makiki Tiki wrote:I'll have to start selling my mugs soon.

I don't think you'll have any difficulty selling your mugs here (or anywhere)...your work is awesome! Looking forward to seeing more.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-19 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I don't think you'll have any difficulty selling your mugs here (or anywhere)...your work is awesome! Looking forward to seeing more.

I agree, your mega-mugs are breathtaking in person!

And, may I add, the stackers turned out GREAT!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 4:50 pm   Permalink

Makiki Tiki, you ROCK!!!

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation