[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki $710 Trader Vic's Mai Tai Set
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
$710 Trader Vic's Mai Tai Set
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-20 10:30 am   Permalink

I have read a number of threads with this very attitude. Did anyone stop to think that if tikis became more mainstream, people would naturally be drawn to the "original" Sending business to Polynesian restaurants, retail shops, hotels, bars, artists,and gasp, may help save some of the googy arcitecture we all love. I also see new and affordable tikis from garden companys (there was a tread about these a while ago)
I know you all are waiting to bite my head off but keep an open mind. The more people interested the better. I love new tiki things but treasure my old ones. I have several witco pieces but think it's great that people like bosco are carving new things. I also love tiki cheese. At Spencers gifts in the mall-I got some Moai incense holders for candles on my patio. I say live it up, who knows how long this will last!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-24 8:10 pm   Permalink

Laney wrote: "Did anyone stop to think that if tikis became more mainstream, people would naturally be drawn to the "original" Sending business to Polynesian restaurants, retail shops, hotels, bars, artists,and gasp, may help save some of the googy arcitecture we all love."

I totally agree! Thats what I've been saying!
Thank you for putting it so well.

And, although I agree with most everything Woofmutt has said (Can't believe that!), this new interest in "mainstream Polynesia" is what I think can drive a new generation of tiki bars and themed restaurants.

As for the "serious ebay buyers"...I sleep better at night hoping that they get discouraged or bored with the new fad and then carefully sell off their stuff at a fraction at what hey paid for it. Call it tiki-karma. I figure they deserve a loss for outbidding me so dramacticly!

But seriously, I have to think that a portion of these "collectors-on-a-hula-band-wagon" will tire of paying so much, or simply find some new hip and trendy thing to collect and they'll burn out. I've seen it happen a few times already. I think we all have! (No names mentioned,) I've spoken with people in Columbus who said just that - "Oh, I got kinda tired of it..." Of course, to my knowledge they have not yet parted with their collections. YET.

Anyway, this is a very interesting thred. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it so far.

-C.

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation