FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Witco chair restoration...one down, one to go (upholstery help needed)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Witco chair restoration...one down, one to go (upholstery help needed)
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-07 5:10 pm   Permalink

Your Witco resto is looking great PTD ...xlnt job .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-07 5:40 pm   Permalink

I'm looking forward to the Sacramento crawl in October when we can all see the chair up close. It looks great. Will you ever sit on it? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 4:54 pm   Permalink

A little more work today...

Thanks for looking!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 11:38 am   Permalink

I was at Duane's house last night and the pictures on here do not do this chair justice!

From the way they looked when I dropped them off at his place to how the one he is working on now looks you would never have thought it was the same piece.

He has really done a fabulous job and I can't wait to see the finished (with cushions) thrones.

Great work Duane!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-19 7:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the nods on the restoration. I completed the wahine chair this afternoon. I bought new hardware to refasten the pieces together since the original lag screws were rusted (one was broken in half). I applied a varathene seal instead of varnish because to wood is so rough. It would have been extremely difficult to sand down varnish on the project.

How the chair looked when I received it.

Shots of the completed chair. It looks darker than it actually is.

I will be on the lookout for some upholstery or material to have the cushions and backrest done. I will have both pieces custom made for the chairs by a friend of mine.

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-20 05:05 am   Permalink

WOW!! Fantastic job. Great to see these chairs given a new lease on life. Really, really nice work you have done. Can't wait to see the upholstery you find for these.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-20 6:21 pm   Permalink

Thank you uncle trav, I appreciate the feedback!

PTD

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2010-06-20 18:21 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-21 6:26 pm   Permalink

You are an artist. You saved something special. We look forward to seeing it at the crawl. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-16 12:47 pm   Permalink

Duane. Did you use any type of protective coat over the final finish? I'm in the middle of trying to bring back the original finish of the chair I found last weekend. Also if you need some measurements for the backrest I can post them for you as I have it off at the moment. Can't remember if your had the backrest or not. Thanks.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-16 2:12 pm   Permalink

Trav,

I used a heavy coat of Varathane Diamond Brand Spar Urethane Outdoor (water based) to protect the finish. It was a satin finish.

And yes, any help with the measurements for the backrest is appreciated.

Thanks,

PTD

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-16 3:39 pm   Permalink

Duane.
Thanks for the tip on the finish. The piece measures 40" long and is made of very light yellow pine. It was attached to the chair with three 2" long nails. it had about 3/4" thick padding behind the fabric. Here are a couple pics of how the fabric was attached.

The backrest was attached to the chair 1 1/2" down from the top and 3 1/2" up from the seat. Hear is a shot of the backrest with the fabric removed and a cross section I drew up. I hope this helps out.

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-16 4:04 pm   Permalink

You know Duane there are websites that can recreate any fabric if you provide them a sample..and in many cases a scanned image will work.

Maybe Trav and you can work together so you can borrow the fabric to get duplicate fabric made?

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation