FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving swizzle....bought some chisels, and has started carving(Ku progress + another page 3)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
swizzle....bought some chisels, and has started carving(Ku progress + another page 3)
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-17 6:06 pm   Permalink

OK i've finally started. Yesterday I bought a couple of chisels and started my first carving. It's about the size of a Tiki mug. I'm not sure what sort of wood it is but it carved very nicely. I'm just concerned it's not completely dry in the centre, so i'm hoping it won't crack.

Here's the chisels. They are only small to suit the size of wood i'm using. I need to find a good size log and then i'll buy some larger ones.

The wood with the design drawn on.

And here's where I got up to last night. There's not too much more wood I want to take off, so when i've finished that i'll get the Dremel out and do some sanding to clean it up and maybe add some detail. I'm very happy with it so far and i'll post some more pics as I go.

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2010-07-03 23:54 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-18 11:20 am   Permalink

You should be happy with it. Nice job!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-18 5:49 pm   Permalink

Right on! good design and cuts.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-20 12:46 am   Permalink

Very Cool carving.. and nice tools you bought as well..

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 02:16 am   Permalink

Nice design and very clean - nice work!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-24 9:55 pm   Permalink

kool stuff!Cheers Watango

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-26 01:22 am   Permalink

Thanks for the compliments guys.
Besides putting on a stain, which I can't afford for a few weeks, i've finished my first carving. There's a couple of tight spots that could do with some more sanding but I'm happy with it how it is and don't want to spend hours trying to get a couple of small bits perfect and risk damaging it somehow. I'll post more pics when it's stained. Time to start my next one.

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2010-04-26 01:47 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Makiki Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-26 04:00 am   Permalink

Love the design. Simply but very cool.

View Profile of Makiki Tiki Send a personal message to Makiki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-26 1:21 pm   Permalink

Very nice, clean and simple design. I like it a lot! The tools you got are nice high end and will last a life time. Nice choice.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-27 8:38 pm   Permalink

Excelent cut for a first! He look like a mug design... in wood!

Post again!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-27 9:22 pm   Permalink

Nice nice nice love the flow of the lines.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 01:01 am   Permalink

Here's a couple of pics of my second carving. I just need to finish the top of the head, do the teeth, and then just clean it up and do the sanding.

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 5:56 pm   Permalink

Swizzle you are really good. The way the nose goes on the first carving is really stylish. I think it's different from any tiki I've ever seen. It's inspiring to see someone just be perfect on a first try. What kind of wood are you using? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 6:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks for those kind words Wendy. Not sure about perfect, but it did come out pretty good if I do say so myself. As for what wood it is i'm not sure. I think it's some sort of native, either a wattle or a eucalypt. They are just off-cuts from a neighbours yard. It's very nice to carve.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-09 05:10 am   Permalink

Swizzle, I can't wait to see your stuff in another dozen pieces and after you get more tools. Way Excellent Beginnings to be Very proud of.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation