FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » "Orange County Tiki," June 10 at Don the Beachcomber
"Orange County Tiki," June 10 at Don the Beachcomber
SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-21 09:38 am   Permalink

Join the Orange County Historical Society in the "Hidden Village" at Don the Beachcomber, June 10, 2010, for a dinner program about the history of the Polynesian Pop phenomenon of the 1950s and '60s in Orange County, California.

Don the Beachcomber’s
16278 Pacific Coast Highway, Huntington Beach
Event Start: 6:30 p.m.
Dinner: 7:00 p.m.
Program: 7:45 p.m.

"From architecture, décor and music, to literature, theme parks and backyard luaus, the South Seas was a wildly popular theme throughout Mid-Century America. This was especially true in sunny Orange County, where primitive carved figures, grass huts, 'Aloha shirts,' and lush jungle landscaping seemed right at home.

"On June 10th, local historian Chris Jepsen will discuss the tiki craze of the 1950s and '60s as it pertained to Orange County. Appropriately, this special event will be held at Don the Beachcomber’s – a historically significant restaurant that recently took up residence in one of America’s few remaining authentic tiki establishments, the former Sam’s Seafood. The place has been lovingly restored and improved recently.

"Hawaiian/tropical attire is encouraged, but not mandatory.

"Speaker: OCHS Vice President Chris Jepsen is the Assistant Archivist at the Orange County Archives, a local historian, and a member of the City of Huntington Beach’s Historic Resources Board. He has been studying Mid-Century commercial architecture and design and 'Polynesian Pop' for 15 years. He has two websites: Googie Architecture Online (http://SpaceAgeCity.com), and O.C. History Roundup (http://ochistorical.blogspot.com)."

To register, download a PDF flier at:
http://www.orangecountyhistory.org/tiki2010.pdf

For more information about OCHS, visit
http://www.orangecountyhistory.org

View Profile of SpaceAgeCity Send a personal message to SpaceAgeCity  Goto the website of SpaceAgeCity     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-21 2:02 pm   Permalink

I'd love to attend this So. Cal event but I'll be in Florida for Hukilau...

...it sucks when there is multiple events scheduled during the same time-frame.

Organizers of events...please take note!!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-22 1:50 pm   Permalink

I think there will still be plenty of folks in SoCal who *won't* be going to Hukilau this year -- especially in this recession. Look at our program as an alternative if you can't make it to Florida this time.

BTW, if anyone has questions about the "Orange County Tiki" event, feel free to email me at cjepsen AT socal DOT rr DOT com.

And for the person who already emailed me,... Yes, there is a vegetarian option too. If you don't want pork or chicken, just cross them out on the flier and write VEGETARIAN clearly above.

Chris

View Profile of SpaceAgeCity Send a personal message to SpaceAgeCity  Goto the website of SpaceAgeCity     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-30 11:03 pm   Permalink

P.S. -- I just added a page for this event on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=119151788110662

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-04-30 11:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-22 13:50, SpaceAgeCity wrote:
...emailed me,... Yes, there is a vegetarian option too. If you don't want pork or chicken, just cross them out on the flier and write VEGETARIAN clearly above.

Chris

So what exactly IS the vegetarian option? Hopefully not just take away the meat and double the veggie sides.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 6:08 pm   Permalink

its some pseudo meat substance that if you put enough soy sauce or other condiment, you tell yourself, wow this really does taste like (insert kind of meat name here).

sorry,for the derail.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-02 6:16 pm   Permalink

I'll let you know what the vegetarian option is as soon as I find out myself. I was told some of the possibilities, but I don't know what was decided on. I'm doing the talk/slideshow, but I'm not in charge of the dining arrangements. When I know more, (hopefully this week,) I will post it here.

CJ

[ This Message was edited by: SpaceAgeCity 2010-05-02 18:20 ]

SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-04 3:16 pm   Permalink

The folks at Don's tell me they will replace the pork or chicken portion of the meal with Ubon soup (which includes noodles and vegetables) for those who request a vegetarian meal.

[ This Message was edited by: SpaceAgeCity 2010-05-04 15:17 ]

SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-19 10:46 am   Permalink

We have 64 confirmed reservations for dinner so far, and they keep rolling in.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation