FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Paint-by-numbers paintings in a bathroom?
Paint-by-numbers paintings in a bathroom?
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2010-04-21 5:17 pm   Permalink

collectors: Would it be a bad idea to put thrifted paint-by-numbers paintings in the washroom where hot showers are often taken? It seems like a bad idea to me. Is there a way I can tell? like feel the walls after a shower is taken to see if they're wet? or is it just a bad idea all around?

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-21 5:23 pm   Permalink

unless sealed with a clear coat,I wouldn't do it.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-21 5:30 pm   Permalink

I wouldn't hang originals in the bath either. Alternative? Have them scanned and printed at Kinkos, then put the copies in frames for display in the bathroom. Just a thought!

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-21 5:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-21 17:17, hanford_lemoore wrote:
collectors: Would it be a bad idea to put thrifted paint-by-numbers paintings in the washroom where hot showers are often taken? It seems like a bad idea to me. Is there a way I can tell? like feel the walls after a shower is taken to see if they're wet? or is it just a bad idea all around?

i think they used enamel on those so the FRONT of it should be okay
Unfortunately,Sir,they are usually printed (and painted) on BOARD
the BOARD is exposed to shower condensation,etc.
It may not deteriorate the painting
BUT it will warp and that's just as bad....

Good Luck in your search for a solution,Hanford!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-21 6:03 pm   Permalink

NO DON"T!

I had a kitschy religious theme in my old bathroom including above the mirror a huge paint by numbers last supper.

I rarely steam the bathroom up but the board warped in its frame and started to turn chalky all the same after about 3 months.

Needless to say Jesus has never been the same after that

I agree make copies

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-21 8:35 pm   Permalink

A different take:

I've had a thrifted PBN in the bathroom for a few years, along with a revolving collection of original 'Bad and Odd Art' also from the swap meet & thrift stores. Nothing has cost me more than $10 and I enjoy the hell out of looking at it (as do guests). I feel if the art is inexpensive (and not valuable) and you enjoy it, Go For It!
I have a load of art that I buy cheap and revolve around the house. If it's not something you desperately want to preserve for posterity, Hang It!!!

That's my 10 cents

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-25 11:59 am   Permalink

I found a pair of vintage PBN palm/beach scenes a couple years ago and hung them in my tiki bar which is a 3-season room/outdoor space. Can see a pair of them here: http://pmimages.worthpoint.com/thumbnails2/1/0408/13/1_61d7910aaa9819a5dc52d380dca6b791.jpg
I take them in during the worst of the winter but it gets pretty damp/hot/cold out there the rest of the time, so far so good.

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation