Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Frances Langford estate silent auction
Frances Langford estate silent auction
VeroTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-25 04:39 am   Permalink

Martin County Habitat for Humanity is conducting a silent auction of Frances Langford's estate. Included are items from the old Outrigger Restaurant and grounds. It goes through May 4th. The link is www.habitatmartin.org. There are tiki carvings, the beautiful tapa cloth bar, signs, etc.

View Profile of VeroTiki Send a personal message to VeroTiki  Email VeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-25 09:47 am   Permalink

Very cool! Thanks for the link.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donnabeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-23 2:05 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:32 ]

View Profile of Donnabeach Send a personal message to Donnabeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 10:17 am   Permalink

Well, all I can tell you is that some of us went and came back with... NADA! We put in what we thought were generous enough bids to acquire some of the items, but on the final day we were outbid on everything. Ah well, such is life. I will post some pictures of the auction items in the next day or two for posterity.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 11:04 am   Permalink

Dang, how frustrating. Maybe some Evinrude heirs showed up. Looking forward to the auction item oics. Did Kailuageoff get anything?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 5:36 pm   Permalink

Here are pictures of some of the items at the Frances Langford auction.

Most items came from Frances' party "hut" on her private property, but some they weren't sure if they came from the hut or from the Outrigger restaurant. Obviously, the signs come from the restaurant, but from what year? Dunno.

Here is a rendering of "the hut":

We were told the party hut was designed by the same architect who designed the Outrigger restaurant.

We would not have known about this auction at all if it had not been for Benzart who told us at Waitiki before Flounder's art show last month. So, thanks Ben!

There's more to this story... One of the Outrigger signs was marked "sold to the Elliot Museum". Turns out this museum has a permanent Langford exhibit. So, a quick drive over there and we found some nice treasures, as well as a bit of surprising news for the future. I'll post all of that over in the
Outrigger thread.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 5:41 pm   Permalink

Some cool stuff, loved those hanging masks/heads....man, Geoff would have SO deserved one of those Outrigger signs! What the hey did they go for!?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 6:31 pm   Permalink

Didn't realize I had this picture. From the caption, apparently the hut was part of the Outrigger.

Quote:

On 2010-05-26 17:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
What the hey did they go for!?

I don't recall. They've taken down the auction final price list from the web site. But the opening bid was $400 on them.

Donnabeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-27 11:25 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:34 ]

View Profile of Donnabeach Send a personal message to Donnabeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-26 17:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
Some cool stuff, loved those hanging masks/heads....man, Geoff would have SO deserved one of those Outrigger signs! What the hey did they go for!?

Aw shucks....
Kabora and I both bid $750 each for those big tiki carvings, but we were outdone. The signs had a starting bid of $400 - but I wanted a tiki carving more than a sign so I placed my highest bid there. Hopefully, the Eliott museum got some of the best stuff. Check out the Outrigger thread for some pictures Rob posted from our visit.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 2:38 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I got outbid even on the more modest items. But the purpose of the auction was to raise money for Habitat for Humanity, so I think in general, people bid considerably higher than what they would have otherwise. So that's a good thing.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation