FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carved some New Guinea moldings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Carved some New Guinea moldings
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-28 09:44 am   Permalink

TikiVic -

Stunning!

I also scanned thru your previous posts and I must say your work is inspiring too!

Can't wait to see your two story tiki bar environment in pics - keep it rollin' boss.

Thanks for posting.

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVic
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-28 3:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks everybody for the great compliments!!! To answer a couple of questions.....these panels are carved on a CNC machine. The "cut and paste" description probably over simplifies the process however. Each panel is designed from scratch (and are original artworks) and are then modeled into 3d mesh files (including the random wood grain surface texture that provides the "hand-carved" look) and then toolpathed. The actual machine time for these particular panels was around 30 hours each (plus machine set-up, wood prep, hand finish detailing/sanding, etc). I really didn't keep track of design time but I'd guess about another 30 hours or so per panel. Of course....once the models are created and toolpathed, the panels are reproducible, and could also be re-scaled in size, etc. There's actually a 3rd panel I cut on which I'm trying out some finishing paints, etc. I'll post some pics a little later when the panels are installed. Thanks again!!!!......TV

View Profile of TikiVic Send a personal message to TikiVic  Goto the website of TikiVic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-09 07:41 am   Permalink

AHH, These were what I was looking for,, Awesome pieces and they even Look hand done though I'd love to see some macro shots of the detail. Your CNC Machine is Awesome. For oneoff pieces it seems they would go much faster by hand butttt when you throw in the residuals like multiple copies and size scaling you really have the answer. Oh yeah AND you can use the exotic hard woods for even better results that by hand you could never do.
I just can't believe the time it takes to create these before they have ever even seen the wood.
Excellent work !

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVic

Posted: 2010-05-11 2:09 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks Benz!!! Also once they're created I can sort of piece together different elements from different carvings into new carvings if I want......OH and I don't get arthritis in my hands!!!

View Profile of TikiVic Send a personal message to TikiVic  Goto the website of TikiVic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 2:31 pm   Permalink

Those are pretty nice indeed. Great design work.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVic

Posted: 2010-08-23 10:03 pm   Permalink

OK....finally got the third vertical panel carved. Need to start designing the horizontal panels now!....all the best.....TV

[ This Message was edited by: tikivic 2011-06-13 00:57 ]

Tahitiki

Posted: 2010-08-25 07:49 am   Permalink

Way cool!!!

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2010-08-25 10:17 am   Permalink

Those are gorgeous!!

Yes, it done on a machine, but still the designing, programming the tooling, set up and running the machine, and finishing is alot of man hours. GROG ex bro-in-law run a CNC and GROG has helped him out before running some parts, so GROG know there's alot of work involved even if it not with chisel. But, DAMN!! Look at the results you get!!

Great stuff. GROG like.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-25 2:35 pm   Permalink

FrEakInG CooL!! Great designs.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-25 5:48 pm   Permalink

If what Grog's saying is true then I'd sure want me one of those machines! Slip on the pair of stunna shades & chillaxin' on a cool drink while the machine does all the dirty work. Beatiful design BTW! I love the composition you got going on. Seeing that tiki dude on the top of the panel your holding makes me wanna say, "I like ta move it, move it. I'd like ta... MOVE IT!"

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVic

Posted: 2010-08-26 12:27 pm   Permalink

Grog appreciates the time involved!!! The panel I'm holding was around 40hrs cutting time.....+ design, finish sand, etc.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-28 04:00 am   Permalink

Wow Vic, I see you must be getting pretty comfortable and proficient on those machines,, these latest are really Incredible and I Know they don't come easy.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-28 09:03 am   Permalink

I think they look great, spectacular in fact, But Can you please change the title of this thread to "design" instead of carved.., Because many people assume you are claiming to have hand carved these panels, its confusing.. Most artist here on T.C actually do hand carve,and It takes away from all the hours of hard work they spend putting chainsaw, chisel or scalpel to wood. With the pain in there backs,and the cuts on there hands,you can tell its not the same thing..

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 07:12 am   Permalink

What Kirby says is right!.........

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVic

Posted: 2010-10-01 11:34 pm   Permalink

Top and bottom are carved. New Guinea crocodiles are 8' long and 12" high.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation