FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Rum Shaker Dubbed it "Frankie's West"
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Rum Shaker Dubbed it "Frankie's West"
Tuna Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-30 4:45 pm   Permalink

For about the past year I have been working on my 12 foot by 30 foot covered patio. I'd like to share some pictures with you now so I can get some feed back from you masters.

This is what I started with. The first thing it got was a new corrugated metal roof.

And the inside.

I re framed the walls to accommodate the windows I built. I could not find windows that hinged at the top. I wanted them to swing out of the way so people could stand inside or out with out running into the windows.

I ran two new electrical circuits, one for the outlets and one for lighting.

I was not as diligent about taking pictures as I should have been. Here the electrical is complete, the windows are in and the insulation and drywall are up.

Here you can see the floor for the "hut"

I painted the walls and ceiling panels a dark chocolate color so you could not see white through the matting.

Then the matting went on the walls.

Then the ceiling. I glued the Lahala to plywood and then screwed it to the ceiling.

One of Bamboo Ben's creations.

Then the Bamboo went up.

The "hut" got a bamboo floor.

The lights on the posts are from the Polynesian Resort in Disney World.

The entry into the hut.

I put tapa cloth around the window on the wall facing the yard.

The roof over the hut.

A lot of tieing.

Bamboo going up on the ceiling. The lights are the old gazing ball in the basketball net trick.

Cleaned the place up a bit so I had room the make the bar top.

One corner of the Hut.

Ok, so it's pretty close to done.

The place looks pretty cool at night.

Patti enjoying the room.

Behind the bar.

What will ya have?

I have done some more decorating since I took these pictures. I found some really cool furniture on Craig's list that is also in the room. I'll post pictures of it soon.

So guys, what do you think? Am I headed in the right direcion?

[ This Message was edited by: Tuna Tiki 2010-04-30 16:46 ]

View Profile of Tuna Tiki Send a personal message to Tuna Tiki  Email Tuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 5:00 pm   Permalink

Aww...c'mon, you already know you're heading in the right direction. It's beautiful.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 5:33 pm   Permalink

Looks freaking Great!!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 5:53 pm   Permalink

Dude this place you built if flippin awesome. That was a lot of work you put into it. Don't forget to pipe in some Tiki Tunes. Great job!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-30 7:18 pm   Permalink

Great job
The tied joints and bamboo work look absolutely fantastic!
Trader Bob...

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Bob 2010-04-30 19:19 ]

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-30 9:13 pm   Permalink

Dude, you are on a one-way street to Tiki Town! Looks fantastic! My only recommendation is not to think of it as "done"... seems there is always some little corner or element that can be dressed up or added. You have some great skills and should be very proud. Mix up a cold one and enjoy!

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 11:02 pm   Permalink

Great job. What a transformation. You sure did a lot of great work in a year. Keep the pictures coming. Love the work you did on the ceiling. Oh hell, I love all the work you did.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 11:11 pm   Permalink

Very nice! zazz!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 06:41 am   Permalink

That looks amazing. Great job. Hard to believe that is the same space you started with.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RedPatti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-01 09:18 am   Permalink

Very nice job TunaTiki. I look forward to some more pics.

View Profile of RedPatti Send a personal message to RedPatti  Email RedPatti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 09:56 am   Permalink

Wow, great job! When's the party?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tuna Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-01 12:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the great words guys.

Thought I'd share a couple of more pictures.

Abstractiki asked about tunes. I found these cool tiki speakers on Ebay, they sound amazingly good. There is one in each corner of the room. There is also 250 watt sub-woofer under the bar that will shake the paint off the walls. I have about 20 hours of tiki music on the ipod so far.

I found some more furniture on Craigslist. A guy way out in the desert had these chairs laying out in a pile of junk outside his double wide. Gave him 20 bucks for the pair. A coat of linseed oil and a couple of cushions from Home Goods and we're off to the races.

Before.

After.

Also found this one on Craigslist.
Need to find cushions for this one.

Another chair I picked up.
Getting ready to strip for refinishing.

Stripped ready for finish.
Need cushions for his one also.

A lamp I got from the guy out in the desert. It stands about 2 feet tall. Anybody recognize it? I've never seen anything like it.

Just a cool little corner table.

Another picture of the room during the day.

[ This Message was edited by: Tuna Tiki 2010-05-01 15:07 ]

View Profile of Tuna Tiki Send a personal message to Tuna Tiki  Email Tuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quicknthedead

Posted: 2010-05-01 2:49 pm   Permalink

Absolutely STUNNING & GORGEOUS!!
Showing beginning to end is cool as we get to see your dream come true! Most impressive!

Congratulations!

View Profile of quicknthedead Send a personal message to quicknthedead      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 3:02 pm   Permalink

A lamp I got from the guy out in the desert. It stands about 2 feet tall. Anybody recognize it? I've never seen anything like it.

Nice work on the room!

Those lanterns are used in Balinese garden design. They are sometimes called hairy lanterns. I've run across a few locally in thrift stores and on Craigslist. I snap them up when I see them. They lend a great ambience to the yard at night.

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FrikiTikiOnWater

Posted: 2010-05-01 3:21 pm   Permalink

That room looks AMAZING! Everything looks so well crafted and joined. Great job man.

View Profile of FrikiTikiOnWater Send a personal message to FrikiTikiOnWater  Email FrikiTikiOnWater     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation