FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Rum Shaker Dubbed it "Frankie's West"
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Rum Shaker Dubbed it "Frankie's West"
Tuna Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-02 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-02 11:14, TikiRenee wrote:
Unbelievable work! Looks amazing. Do you plan on painting the white door?

Yes, I have some woven bamboo board that I am planning on laminating to the inside. The outside is either going to be the chocolate brown or the tan. What do ya think?

View Profile of Tuna Tiki Send a personal message to Tuna Tiki  Email Tuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EdsGoneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-05 2:07 pm   Permalink

Wow! I just saw this post for the first time so i saw the total makeover in one sitting. It was almost too much to take.

The first thing i thought was "yea right , whats this guy gonna do with this crappy old chicken-coop looking thing?"(sorry, no offense )
I'm incredibly blown away at how great it all looks now.

There are so many things I love about it. Too many to comment on all, but, I love how you raised the floor in the bar and added the posts and the thatch, It looks really cool having that seperate tiki bar/hut within your tiki room. Great job!-Would love to see a nighttime pic of the bar area from across the room!
I love the two low slung rattan chairs you found. How did you strip them? I have picked up a few pieces myself and have found that even when picked up cheap, the recovering of the seat cushions gets very expensive. If you find a cheap way let me know.
Having CrazyAl carve such an awesome tiki for you, How cool is that! The lava rock and red light addition is a nice touch! (Al, when I finish my tiki bar could you also just "whip" me up a tiki too! )

Thanks for posting. I'm totaly inspired by your work!
You can call me "EdsOneJealousMoFo"!!

[ This Message was edited by: EdsGoneTiki 2010-06-06 14:13 ]

View Profile of EdsGoneTiki Send a personal message to EdsGoneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-07 4:41 pm   Permalink

Hey Tuna, your little Tiki Paradise looks awesome!! Great job with the different materials and thinking out the lighting ahead of time! Makes it a bit easier and it's alot better than having tons of ugly wires hanging and running all over the place. Good idea on the windows opening up like that for the big Luau's!

Keep the posts coming!
Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tuna Tiki

Posted: 2010-06-13 3:49 pm   Permalink

Many thanks everyone for all the kind words. You guys "looking over my shoulder" both keeps me honest and pushes me to keep going, which I need.

EGT, first, AZ rocks. On stripping furniture, after spending a bunch of money on stripper and sandpaper and many many hours of not having any fun at all, I threw in the towel and took the chair to a local furniture stripper to clean up my mess. Not having any idea what the job was worth, I was expecting to end up paying like a hundred bucks and waiting a week. The guy looked over the chair and apologetically said he was going to have to charge me 40 bucks and said he was going to need it the rest of the day. 'bout broke my arm pulling my wallet out. Then the guy tells me I would have been better off bringing it to him in the beginning. He said he had to charged me a little extra to undo what I did. Take a lesson. As far as re-upholstery, when you crack that code, let me know. It's not cheap.

TD, I got the rest of the gas springs for the windows, take a look.

Part of our haul from Tiki Caliente last weekend

Again, thanks for looking,

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: tuna tiki 2010-06-14 19:09 ]

View Profile of Tuna Tiki Send a personal message to Tuna Tiki  Email Tuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RedPatti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-21 1:14 pm   Permalink

Hey where are the new pictures?......?????

View Profile of RedPatti Send a personal message to RedPatti  Email RedPatti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rumshaker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-21 3:32 pm   Permalink

Wow, those windows are bitchin'! All that science and physics paid off. Very cool.

View Profile of Rumshaker Send a personal message to Rumshaker  Email Rumshaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RedPatti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-01 11:42 am   Permalink

Bump

View Profile of RedPatti Send a personal message to RedPatti  Email RedPatti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tuna Tiki

Posted: 2010-10-01 5:54 pm   Permalink

OK, so it's been a while since I've shown any progress. Here are a few things I have done lately.

Back of the bar, first go round.

The bar works, another happy customer.

Some pictures behind the bar

Another angle behind the bar.

Yea, we were there.

Back of the bar second go round. I have the monitor hooked up to a DVD player to play old Hawaiian and surf videos for a little distraction. What do you think?

Come on down.

Some more stuff on a Bamboo Ben table.

Some more art.

Found these bamboo blinds. A real life saver for all the west facing windows.

I also put some window tint film on the windows, that really helps with the summer heat here in the San Fernando valley.

It's a work in progress. You guys are right, it will never be done. Hope you like it so far.

WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-01 6:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-01 17:54, Tuna Tiki wrote:
OK, so it's been a while since I've shown any progress. Hope you like it so far.

I do! Great space!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-03 9:10 pm   Permalink

Your windows turned out very nice. Great Job!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
racebannon2002

Posted: 2010-10-04 4:39 pm   Permalink

Awesome Job!!!!

View Profile of racebannon2002 Send a personal message to racebannon2002      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liltikichef
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-24 8:51 pm   Permalink

where did you find those tiki end tables, of did you have them made? They're awesome! I love'em!!!

View Profile of liltikichef Send a personal message to liltikichef      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-25 06:25 am   Permalink

Extraordinary in every way! I looked back through the postings and am awestruck by the transformation of this space into a tiki paradise. Love the rich tropical ambiance of the bamboo trim / window treatments and lahala (cabana) mat coverings.

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tuna Tiki

Posted: 2011-01-26 08:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-24 20:51, liltikichef wrote:
where did you find those tiki end tables, of did you have them made? They're awesome! I love'em!!!

Hi LTC and welcome. I'm not sure I know what tables you are talking about. If it is the short tiki with the travel bar sitting on it, I bought that one from a guy at work who had it in his garage for years. I have two bamboo glass topped end tables that came in a set with six chairs and a dining table I picked up at a consignment shop. Anyway, thanx for the compliment.

Turns out my neighbor,s cousin is an incredible air brush/pin stripping artist. Right now he is air brushing a whole tiki thing on the front of the bar and a hula girl on the end. It should be done in a couple of days. I will be posting pictures. We are also making plans for him to do our travel trailer for Amy's Mojave Oasis. Pictures of that coming also.

Tuna Tiki

Posted: 2011-03-06 5:41 pm   Permalink

I have no idea why I thought to get a rain lamp, as I found out they're called. I always viewed them as being really ugly. Maybe that's why, the challenge. This is what I started out with.

I figured I had to cover the antiqued brass bowls with something, so a trip to Chinatown for lunch and shopping. A bunch of plastic flowers and couple of pieces of bamboo to cover the posts and it's read to go together.

The top hat goes on, and the Greek "goddess" gets replaced with a wahine, topless, of course.

So I get the whole thing together and the pump takes a crap.

Take it all back apart to replace the pump. Oil everywhere.

All fixed. Ready to go.

I replaced the standard flood light with a color changing LED.

I'm pretty happy with how it came out, thought I'd show it off.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation