FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving CJ's Tropical Tiki ....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
CJ's Tropical Tiki ....
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 09:06 am   Permalink

Good Morning!! What a great forum with some very talented Tiki carvers! I'm hoping some of the experts might help me with my next project.... I decided that I needed a couple Tikis to go around the pool so I found a dead Queen Palm and chopped it down ... I carved a couple quick Tikis out of it - at this point just faces on logs - but have been bitten by the Tiki bug ... so I found some downed fan palms and hauled them to the house ..... now it's time to get serious and make something a bit more detailed than the first two .... here are a couple pictures of the Queen palm Tiki's, it was very stringy and not the easiest to work with but I guess that was a good palm to learn from ..... (I had read that Queens weren't the best palms to work with but went with it any way)

The first one - just chisels - it's about 4 feet. I didn't do the back since it is placed up to a fence:

... and the second one - 2 feet - it has a bit of a headress down the back but not very elaborate ...

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Jack 2010-05-01 09:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Jack 2010-05-14 23:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Jack 2010-05-18 17:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Jack 2010-06-17 10:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Jack 2012-01-02 11:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Jack 2012-01-31 20:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Jack 2012-07-25 20:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Jack 2012-07-25 20:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Jack 2012-08-02 15:07 ]

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 09:15 am   Permalink

...so now I am on to the third project ... it is one of the fan palms and is about 6 feet with the root ball still on - I'm calling it Kramer!. I've removed the bark and am ready to draw on the design. The thing is - the log is a bit top heavy! It's like a carrot! The bottom is only about 6 inches across and although it does balance, if a good Santa Ana wind comes along it will do a nose dive!.... here it is:

I'm curious to know what you guys think I should do with the base. I can leave a couple feet uncarved in the event this guy can be placed in a hole and cemented in - or chop off some of it to get a bit wider base so it can stand on it's own ... I've even thought of chopping off the top of one of the wider logs I have and making a base, like the round peg in the hole .... I appreciate any ideas you might have. Here is another picture:

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 09:21 am   Permalink

another question I have is in regard to the other logs that I hauled home .... It was four different trees so I came out with 8 logs.

I noticed that the cuts on some of them are splitting! Should I be concerned and try to stop it now? These won't be carved for a while but if something needs to be done I'd appreciate your thoughts ... here are a couple pics:

Thanks! I'm hoping to eventually carve some nice pieces like many of you have ...

Have a Great Day!!

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 09:39 am   Permalink

Howdy Captain!
I'll impart my 2 cents.
Throw away all those logs that are splitting. Sorry for the blunt bad news, but those are junk. That tree was too young/short. But don't feel too bad, I learned the hard way, too. Except I went ahed and tried to carve them!

That one big rootball that's unstable. I would not cut it shorter, and I would not bury the end in concrete or anything else. I just hate to lose height from a nice piece, because larger pieces, especially with a rootball, are harder to find.
After it's carved, and you know where you want to place it, anchor it with either 4' steel construction stakes snugged up and screwed against it, or pipe (think post from a chainlink fence) used the same way.

You're off to a good start, have fun!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 09:49 am   Permalink

Thanks Bill ..... damn!! I about had a heart attack getting those big ones in the truck! I might just use them as practice logs or something .... Out of the four trees I am only seeing the splits on those two pieces. They were all laying on the ground together at a nursery and were not very tall. The one I'm getting ready to carve with the hair does not show evidence of splitting but was also short, a bit taller than the others, but still a youngster ...

Thanks for the advice on the base - I'm going to carve it and go with the construction stakes. It's 6 feet with the hair and I agree, I hate to lose any of the height!

Thanks again and Have a Great Day!!

Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 09:46 am   Permalink

Well now the one with the root ball has started to split at the base! And the insides where I have already carved are separating! I'm guessing this is why they are junk logs! I am going to finish this guy anyway and hide him in a corner somewhere - I could probably knock out a decent Tiki if the logs were good. I saw someone mention they got some good logs from the Lake Elsinore area, I don't want to move in on his stash but if anyone has any ideas of where I could get a decent chunk of wood I would appreciate the help .. I'm guessing Bill from your comments that I need to search for mature trees that are tall - probably follow around a local tree service and see what they are taking down.

Here is the base showing the splits:

...and here is the mouth I already carved - very pulpy, stringy and soft - again - I'm assuming the characteristics of a junk log!

Have a Great Day!!

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 1:19 pm   Permalink

No need to hide him in a corner, splits can help with that aged and weathered look!
Go ahead and finish him, just don't try to get too fancy with details.
My first tiki was from a young tree, and after carving, turned into what can best be described as loofah-like! But it hasn't fallen apart at all 10 years later.

Here's what you need to look for: a mex fan palm that is at least telephone pole height, then don't use the top third of the trunk.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 1:44 pm   Permalink

Cool! Thanks - I'll keep carving it then ... I wanted to get some detail on this one but suppose I'll just keep it simple .... I'll keep an eye out for some better logs for the next one ...

Have a Great Day!

Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 11:34 am   Permalink

Well - I had to lose about a foot off the bottom of Kramer cause a few days after I cut the feet they split apart from the main log about an inch! Otherwise it's carving fairly well - much better than the first two I did ... he's starting to look an awful lot like TreeBeard from Lord of the Rings!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 2:14 pm   Permalink

Excellent detail you are getting there Jack,,especially for an old palm log.

Just keep carving and doing your best and you will see vast improvements with every one you complete!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 4:30 pm   Permalink

That is pretty damn cool for all the doubts u had
RIGHT ON !!!

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 4:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben! I'll keep chopping at em - I have 7 more logs from that batch of youngsters! (We just moved back to SoCal after 4 years in Palm Harbor - Tampa area. Hope that oil misses everybody over there!)

Thanks as well Tikigodz - I was a bit leery of taking a chance on these after finding out they aren't the best logs to carve. But it is turning out fairly decent. It will look good by the pool . Hell, None of my friends no any difference anyway!

Have a Great Day!!

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 7:31 pm   Permalink

Yes! he turned out GREAT! Nice nose and eyes.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 9:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks Seeksurf! .....

Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 10:55 am   Permalink

.... one good thing about those Queen Palms is you get some extra canvas!!! I painted a couple quick masks from the fronds:

Kramer is now finished and on guard at the pool: Since I had to cut the bottom that was to be the body I went with the ALOHA thing ....

Starting to look tropical back here ..... time to start the next one! Thanks Bill for your advice and every else for the encouragement ..... I'm Hooked!!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation