FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving CJ's Tropical Tiki ....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
CJ's Tropical Tiki ....
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 10:16 am   Permalink

I started chopping up another one .... I am trying to carve a body on this one .....

.... which means I get to carve my first butt!

Still have a bit of carving to do - I'd like the neck to be a bit thinner and have to blend it all together a bit more ... Here is the entire Tiki:

I've definitely learned one important factor - you can cut it away - but you can't put it back!

This is the original log for this one:

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 12:18 pm   Permalink

You're making some pretty quick progress on these guys. They're looking great.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 4:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks BigT .... I went and bought a grinder and a torch today so will be trying those out tomorrow ... this guy is still very wet but it's a good log to practice on - Have a Great Day!!

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 6:32 pm   Permalink

Look'n good captain,your yards going to look like Hawaii in no time.Cheers Watango

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 11:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks Watango! .... it's becoming a fun hobby ... I changed the thread title from "rookie looking for advice" to "my carvings" as I intend to add quite a few more ...

Have a Great Day!!!

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-15 06:59 am   Permalink

Way to step it up! Ya for sure you cant put it back. Look @ that sucker long and
hard before you cut. Looking Good. Love the pool.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-15 4:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks Seeksurf! .... I'll get that pool set up like I want eventually!

Here is the final shots of the latest:

This one is the pre-stain after a couple of burns. I liked the contrast here, the burns really make it look - I don't know - what's a good word - rustic??

...and then I stained it! .... I'm second guessing this decision to go with a darker stain. I really liked it better with the natural color .... Oh well - lesson learned! On to the next one!

Have a Great Day!!

tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-16 08:14 am   Permalink

Pretty dmn cool Cap;n Looks like your on a roll!!!

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-16 11:59 am   Permalink

Sweet! Looking great. Keep those progress shots coming.

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 5:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks tikigodz! on a roll is right - but man do my hands hurt! .... where's the advil?

thanks to you as well Tikilizard! ... I'll keep posting the shots as long as they let me ... and as long as someone looks at them! ... I'm going to try and swing away from the "face on a log" routine and try to learn- and carve - more of the traditional stuff .... I like the looks of that KU fella that Billy the Crud did and have a huge log back there that would be perfect for that ....

... but first I'm going to do a musical trio! - These are the culprits who will make up the band - a bongo dude and two uke dudes! Should get them cleaned up and start carving tomorrow ...

Have a Great Day!

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Jack 2010-05-17 17:12 ]

Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 6:30 pm   Permalink

Great work! I really like the look of them especially Kramer. Altough I can't take credit for the idea, I have seen someone suggest that you use flat iron (like angle iron with holes in fact angle iron might be even better as it is stronger) You would dig a post hole, fill it with concrete and then place the iron into the concrete leaving a good amount sticking out. In your case you might want to even angle the bar to match the angle of your tiki. Place your tiki on top of a flat stepping stone or paver. Secure yout tiki in the back by threading some lag bolts (galvanized) through the iron into the back of kramer. I hope this helps.

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 7:00 pm   Permalink

Right on! you are hooked. My hand hurt also. I think i could work smarter
but i get rapped up in it sometimes.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 7:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comments and suggestions Poobah! Since I had to chop a good 10 inches off the bottom of Kramer due to the splitting it gave me a nice 9 or 10 inch base. I set it up on a paver and just used a long stake at the back to set him up. Seems to be working so far ...

Yea seeksurf - I'm hooked! I actually heard a wood chipper grinding away off in the distance last Friday at 7 in the AM and hopped in the Jeep to go see if they were dropping some decent logs that I could take off their hands! Needless to say the wife thinks I've completely flipped my lid! ... unfortunately I never did find them! .... it's an obsession!! watched Survivor the other night and couldn't take my eyes off the logs laying around their camp!!

Your work and the work of many others here on TC give us rookies something to strive for .... it's fun!

Have a Great Day!

Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 5:41 pm   Permalink

I cleaned up the Tiki Trio Band today and roughed in some of the faces ..... the challenging part will be the instruments and bodies on these guys .... what am I saying? ... everything about this Tiki carving thing is a challenge!!

Have a Great Day!

Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 11:34 am   Permalink

They look good so far. Is one of them going to look like he's singing a note? That might be one with bottom jaw down and one with the O shaped mouth? Just a thought. They almost look like they could be signing already......lol

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation