FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving CJ's Tropical Tiki ....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
CJ's Tropical Tiki ....
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 1:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comps Matt and Jungle Trader ....

Took a break to finish another book but had the itch to carve something!!! So I decided to make me a small bone carving tiki! It's about the size of a nickel - I need to get some cord to finish it off ... pretty fun carving this little guy, even with old man eyes!

... and the CJ logo for the back:

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Jack 2010-08-08 13:24 ]

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 5:03 pm   Permalink

Carving that little bone tiki was so much fun that I went ahead and made a little eagle ray for my wife!

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 09:28 am   Permalink

Finally got hold of some nice logs and of course, I'm too impatient to wait for them to dry .... I carved this Moai from the smallest log and was pleased that it carved very nicely. I'm not happy with the stain ... it is some kind of golden oak and made the whole thing look splotchy ... I like the unstained version better. Maybe the spar urethane will make it look better, or I might just stain the whole thing with the darker stain that is on the base. I'm going to let it dry out a bit before finishing it ..... it's nice to be carving again!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 1:50 pm   Permalink

Very nice CapN

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 3:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-19 09:28, Captain Jack wrote:
I'm not happy with the stain ... it is some kind of golden oak and made the whole thing look splotchy ...

If you're using the Minwax golden oak, use two or three more coats of it. that should even it all out.Any more than that, and it's real close to looking like cherry or a couple coats of early american. Then spar away!

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-20 06:48 am   Permalink

Thanks Buzzy .... I'll remember that for the next time I use that stain. I went ahead and used the dark stain on this one and like it much better..

Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-02 08:08 am   Permalink

Decided to try my hand at carving a traditional Hawaiian .... started this Kane a couple weeks ago. This log has some nice cracks in it but as long as it stays together it should turn out okay ....

CJ Tropical Tiki FACEBOOK page

openingdaymedia.net

Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-02 08:09 am   Permalink

A couple side shots of that Kane ...

openingdaymedia.net

Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-02 08:11 am   Permalink

And a few more with a bit more detail added ... this is just hammer and flat chisels .... slow going, but for now I feel more in control than I would with the grinder ...

openingdaymedia.net

Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-05 5:04 pm   Permalink

Finally bought a draw knife! What a great tool! De-barked a log in less than five minutes with that thing ....

A couple more progress shots of the Kane ... started on the body and some more detail on the teeth ...

Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-08 11:19 am   Permalink

Kane is finished .... think I'll do a Lono or a Ku next ... a couple pics of Kane and one with his buddy Moai ...

Have a Great Day!!

NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-08 11:45 am   Permalink

very cool Capt! Came out great and he looks very happy next to his new friend

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-08 5:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks NIxxon ..... getting a little better with every chop ..... started on the next one ... this will be the Ku .... (I just wish it didn't get dark at 5:00 PM!!!)

Have a Great Day!!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-08 7:53 pm   Permalink

Cap'n, that Kane turned out nice! Dark at 5:00? You must be west of me 'cuz the sun goes down here at 4:30!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-09 06:27 am   Permalink

Thanks Mad Dog ..... yea, I'm in the Temecula area, half way between L.A. and San Diego ... Ready for summer to come back ...

Have a Great Day!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation