[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Club Nouméa
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Club Nouméa
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 05:01 am   Permalink

Kia ora!

Greetings from Wanganui! This is my first post, so apologies in advance for not doing advanced stuff like adding pics yet (I'll get there...).

Having decided to spruce up the kitchen counter facing out onto my living room/dining room, and living in a house in a bush location with cedarwood panelling and strandboard flooring, a Pacific theme seemed like a natural option. And given I have spent more time in Nouméa than in any other place in the South Pacific (outside New Zealand), a bar based on that city also seemed like a natural choice for a theme, so recently I have been digging out old maps, postcards, coins and photos I took over there and augmenting them with other South Pacific clutter I have found in the antique/junk shops here. It is early days yet, but the clutter is starting to come together.

I have been looking at some of the photos on this forum and can only say I am definitely not worthy. There's an enormous amount of inspirational material here and I am awestruck.

As New Caledonia is officially in Melanesia (although the Loyalty Islands are a crossover point for Polynesian/Melanesian culture), I am curious to know if there is anyone out there with a bar based on a Melanesian theme rather than a Polynesian theme...? Any photos perhaps?

I hope that in the not too distant future I will be able to present "before and after" photos.

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 05:21 am   Permalink

Sounds like a cool plan for a bar

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-08 11:23 am   Permalink

I had to Google Wanganui...WOW it looks like a beautiful place. I toured through NZ a few years ago and it was the best trip I ever had...hope to get back some day. Just a word of encouragement...there are so many great pictures and helpful people on this board...it is indeed inspiring. Although materials may be hard to find for you, there are a lot of instructions on how to get the look through artsy endeavors. You will be able to build a great Tiki bar.

Here is a thread on turning PVC into bamboo. The original picture links are broken. I just sent a message to Paul to see if next time he checks out the board he could replace them. But there are pictures by other folks there...so hope it helps.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6800&forum=7&start=0

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 12:22 am   Permalink

Hello VampiressRN,

Thanks for the PVC-to-bamboo conversion tip, but you are forgetting I actually live in the South Pacific. Consequently I am the proud owner of my very own bamboo thicket and currently have a stack of the real stuff drying on my deck. If anyone has any hints and tips on preparing/treating/cutting bamboo, they will be gratefully received.

Sorry for the absence from the forum for a couple of weeks, but I have been busy tikifying my bedroom. I can't see a Tiki Bedroom thread, and have noticed at least one other guy has put bedroom photos in this part of the forum, so that will be my next post.

Best wishes
CN

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 12:34 am   Permalink

Prior to the bar project, I thought I would get warmed up by renovating a bedroom first.

Here is what the bedroom looked like "before". Note the sickly pink paint and the truly awful 90s curtains (left behind by the previous inhabitants - I wonder why?)

More to come in next post...

CN

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 12:40 am   Permalink

Here are some photos of the bedroom repaint. I used Japanese Laurel by Resene Paints on the walls, and Lava Core by Dulux Paints on the window frames:

Both paints are acrylic, although the Japanese Laurel has an enamel finish.

More to follow

CN

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 01:00 am   Permalink

Bedroom renovation continued...

Kaipara Olive curtains by Soft Touch:

I put some patterns on the light switches and wall sockets so they would blend in somewhat:

Then came the wall decorations and furniture...

Authentic plastic Maori masks from the 1960s:

Easter Island and Tahiti pictures:

(The Easter Island pics were a gift from an Easter Islander I met at a conference some years ago...)

One of the two new mats beside the bed (both the same pattern), and door insulation:

Banjo-playing shell frog (note the broken strings - he's a wild man...) - see if you can spot this little guy in the pic that follows this one:

And the pièce de résistance, installed in an ugly window that looks into the garage ( ): Tropical forest waterfall and pot plants with new bookcase. The window can be backlit at night (2 settings – daylight and dusk).

Here is a night pic of the backlighting:

Next step: the bar project....

CN

[ This Message was edited by: Club Nouméa 2011-01-11 03:01 ]

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 05:43 am   Permalink

Nicely done CN!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 7:34 pm   Permalink

Sweet looking room. I love what you did with the window facing the garage. Great idea!

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what you do next.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 4:45 pm   Permalink

Very neat! I dig those Maori masks.

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-22 10:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the positive feedback about the bedroom. It was nice to see several hundred hits as the result of people dropping by to have a look.

Work has started on the bar project, although it is still at the stage of assembling materials, so there is not much to show yet.

For the time being, here are a couple of "before" photos of the bar area to give an idea of what I am working with. I am fortunate to have a very functional bar-type structure already in place, so there is no heavy rebuilding work required:

As you can see, the kitchen is enclosed by an L-shaped interior wall. The idea is to turn this entire structure into a tiki-style hut within my house, using tapa cloth and/or matting, and bamboo applied to the top half of the wall, which is currently painted light green. The lower wood panelling already looks pretty good to me, so that is staying, and I will possibly attach some carvings at fixed intervals along it. I would also like a Melanesian totem attached to the uprights at each end of the bar, and these are going to have to be customised to fit the existing structure, so we will see what my carving skills are like. If that fails, I will try painted totems instead. In New Caledonia, traditionally they had these totems on entrances to huts etc. They consist of a rectangular post featuring a geometric pattern most of the way up (squares, criss-crossed lines, diamond-shaped markings), with a benign, smiling or angry face on top of them.

Here is another shot that shows some of the back wall and a better view into the kitchen:

I am going to extend the tiki-style wall cladding along this back wall and around the curtained window you can see in the left foreground. This window is completely redundant. It looks out of the back of my house at an earth bank. All you can see through it is the bank itself, some tree roots and some weeds. That corner of the house receives no sunlight whatsover, so I am boarding over the window and installing a monster-sized enlargement of a photo I once took of the sunset at Anse Vata beach, which is Nouméa's equivalent of Waikiki beach. I received the enlargement some days ago and it looks great. The guy in the photo shop said it was the largest blow-up he had ever done from a 4 x 6-inch photo. And it wasn't digital either (probably just as well, or it would have pixellated like crazy).

So that's where things stand at the moment. I will keep you posted with further developments.

CN

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 12:28 am   Permalink

Over 3 weeks have passed since my last post, so it is high time for an update on the tiki bar installation work.

First, the corner the bar is in was cleared away so that the makeover could begin, and I fitted some new curtains (Kaipara Brick Red from Soft Touch):

The whole house has the strandboard flooring you can see in the photo above, so I put in a new floor covering to help physically delineate the bar area/dining table area from the rest of the open-plan living room:

For lighting the dining table, I found a nice loungey-looking lampshade, and a nice zebra-striped lamp for mood lighting for the bar area:

I found this beauty (made in New Zealand) in a local lighting shop and liked it so much I got a smaller matching one for the bedroom. The large one is 1.4 metres high and has a foot switch:

The next step was to deal with the awful pointless rear window that looks out on a dirt bank. To give you an idea of just how much I hate this window, here is what the view looks like on a rainy evening:

And another view:

The idea was to board up this horrible window so it could be put to a better purpose. I used some scrap wood to provide some support for the hardboard that was to be nailed over the top of it:

Then I nailed in the hardboard onto the supports. This was a nerve-wracking operation, because even though I made sure the nails were short enough to avoid hitting the windowframe or glass, there was still the possibility that the hammer impacts might crack the pane. Fortunately they didn't:

Then up went my monster blow-up of a 6 x 4-inch photo of a sunset on Nouméa's Anse Vata beach that I took back in the '90s. The guy in the photo shop recommended some hideously expensive aerosol adhesive designed for photographic paper that looked way too toxic for me to want to be spraying it in the vicinity of my kitchen, so I went and got a very large gluestick instead and that worked fine:

Sadly, in real life, this beautiful view has been ruined in recent years by a tacky pier built in the middle of the bay, and a large new hotel in the middle of the peninsula in the background that is way out of proportion with its environment and whose silhouette resembles a massive concrete blockhouse when the sun sets behind it. That's progress...

Something I immediately noticed once the photo was in position was that there was a problem with glare from the room lighting:

After some initial cursing and swearing, I decided the easiest solution was to do what you do with a normal window when there is too much glare from the sun - install blinds:

To save $$$ and avoid hassles with the blinds getting caught up in the curtains, I bought blinds that were narrower than the overall width of the window:

With the curtains in position though, you don't even notice:

As you can see, I also used a couple of bits of waste plywood and skirting I had lying around, applied some appropriate matching timber stain to them, and nailed them into the bottom of the window frame to fill in where the exposed hardboard was.

But the window was not finished yet. More about that in the next instalment....

CN

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-20 12:42 am   Permalink

To round off the window, I added a window box and some exotic plants:

Then it was time to move on and tackle the bar area. I found some interesting looking upholstery fabric that matched what I was aiming for, so I tacked that to the walls using some brass upholstery tacks with appropriately-patterned heads. For the back wall I used the reverse of the fabric (white background with a brown pattern), and for the bar itself, I used the front of the fabric (brown background with a white pattern).

For the bar frontage, I made some jungle-looking shields to go along the lower wooden panelling, then filled up the top half with clutter, mainly relating to Nouméa:

This shot gives you a better look at the fabric on the bar walls:

The Club Nouméa sign, featuring the coat of arms of the city of Nouméa:

Along with various pictures and posters of Nouméa and New Caledonia, I included a couple of tourist maps, some coins, and also a digital picture frame with various photos I have taken in and around Nouméa over the last twenty years or so:

As it is in a corridor and it would be too easy to knock pictures off their frames, the side wall is less busy picture-wise, with just a couple of my framed photos of Nouméa:

I found two very cool-looking Sepik River carvings from Papua New Guinea, depicting bird spirits, so they book-end the bar:

To round off the back wall where the window with the view of Anse Vata is, I put up a couple of spears and other odds and ends:

So, basically I have the front of the bar sorted out now:

The next step will be to put in shelving and storage behind the bar and (last but not least), stock up on booze....

CN

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-21 11:03 am   Permalink

Great window treatment. It really changes the feel of the room and the picture is perfect!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donnabeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-22 9:41 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:36 ]

View Profile of Donnabeach Send a personal message to Donnabeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation