FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Club Nouméa
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Club Nouméa
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 10:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the positive feedback Polynesiac and Donnabeach. And once again it was gratifying seeing that there were several hundred hits as a result of people dropping by to have a look. I am now planning the next stage, which involves the area behind the bar...

CN

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-29 01:04 am   Permalink

Here are a few more photos of the work in progress. As you can see above and below, the tikification has already spread from the bar area into my general living room area, and looks like being unstoppable....

To start off, here are a couple of better photos of the PNG carvings at each end of the bar:

I am slowly building up the bar clutter with new pieces.

A fernwood carving from Vanuatu (approximately 16 inches tall):

He was fastened to the wall by sitting him on a bracket and drilling a screw into him in a sphincter-clenching location, at the risk of incurring the wrath of the ancestral gods of Ambrym. It was either that or place him in a pot, but I doubt whether the angry gods would have been very happy with the household cat using this fine piece of soft malleable wood as a scratching post either...

A couple of pieces of Hawaiian tapa (kapa), alongside the PNG club/mace/axe thing:

These two small pieces date from the late 19th century and were a birthday present from my companion Ms Nouméa. They form part of a family collection of tapa given to one of her ancestors (who was a member of the Dole clan) by a Hawaiian princess. Some of this collection now resides in a museum in Hawaii.

A bow and arrows from Papua New Guinea:

The arrows are nicely detailed:

I have put them up on the wall on the other side of the lounge from the bar:

This collecting stuff is nice, but I still have to get onto renovating the area behind the bar. As can be seen, some shelves are desperately needed:

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-29 10:50 am   Permalink

Love it.
You are adding some really nice details.

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-30 9:22 pm   Permalink

I agree, it is looking great. Your masks are beautiful and the window treatment is fabulous!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 12:56 am   Permalink

Thanks for the compliments Murph and VampiressRN. And it's time for another update, by the looks of it...

CN

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 01:52 am   Permalink

Here's an update on recent developments:

I got my computer art entitled "Cargo Cult" printed out (1m x 1.5m) and framed:

It is now hanging on the wall opposite the entrance to the bar/kitchen:

The tikification process has now spread to the rest of the lounge with the purchase of various prints.

"Enchantment" (aka "Private Dancer"), by Richie Fahey:

Alongside it is "The Tall Order" by Shag:

And there was no way I could resist Shag's "The Drunken Cleric":

I was wondering what to do with the corridor linking the bar to the bedroom. The bar has a Melanesian theme, while the bedroom has a Polynesian theme. The corridor would have to feature a Pacific theme that fits in, without being one or the other, so I decided to turn it into a surf gallery.

I painted the walls light blue (which didn't show up in these flash photos), and framed some classic images from the 60s:

I was pleased to find an image of this classic NZ surf film poster too - "Children Of The Sun":

Along with images of other US surf film posters:

I had enough light blue paint left over to repaint the bathroom while I was at it (hmm - a nautical theme?)

The area behind the bar still awaits me...

CN

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 07:15 am   Permalink

Nice, I think the best part of it all is looking and finding and decorating and getting real passionate about the whole thing. I know I never want it to be over and I am constantly looking and deciding what to change or do next. Best of luck.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-29 12:58 am   Permalink

Yes, I know what you mean hiltiki.

Here is a case in point. I already mentioned the mask below from West Papua in the Tiki Finds thread. After looking at it up on the wall for some weeks, I decided the eyes needed illumination, so I fitted two battery-powered red LEDs behind the eyeholes:

Unfortunately the photo didn't come out very well, but the glowing red eyes look great with the mood lighting on!

CN

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-12 02:10 am   Permalink

Let's try that again - glowing eyes in the dark:

That's better!

The bar top has now been decorated. I purchased some tinted glass and put various pieces of New Caledonian ephemera under it:

The old postcard in the top centre claims to be of New Caledonia, but the carvings in it look suspiciously like they are from the New Hebrides...

And another window installation has been completed. This one is in a window at the bottom of a flight of stairs:

The image is a picture from a 1970s book on New Caledonia and was scanned, enlarged and printed out on gloss photographic paper, backed with semi-rigid clear plastic. This window gets a lot of sunlight, but is opposite some book shelves, so previously the curtains were usually closed to protect the books from fading. With the photographic paper and the transparent plastic in place, the window now still lets in light but no longer fades my books.

As the window is at the bottom of a flight of stairs, the two wooden planks across the window are padded with foam rubber and constitute a safety barrier in the event of someone falling down the stairs. They are substantial enough to stop a light fall, but are light enough to break and give way in the event of a heavy fall. In that event, the newly-installed plastic backing behind the photo is a safety measure too, as it protects the accident victim from shattering glass should he or she fall hard enough to break through the planks.

I nailed in bamboo trim (bamboo from my local bamboo patch) around the edges of the image to stop light getting in, and painted the nail heads brown so they match the bamboo.

CN

[ This Message was edited by: Club Nouméa 2010-09-12 02:12 ]

Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 05:45 am   Permalink

I like the collections you have, especially the authentic crafts! Any new pieces on the horizon for you?

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 3:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks Wayfarer,

I am about to head into Darkest Taranaki (up the road from Wanganui) as there are a couple of antique shops there I have my eye on.

I am also thinking of going on a carving-gathering expedition in Vanuatu (somewhat further up the road) in months to come and am trying to talk Ms Nouméa into coming with me, but she isn't too keen on the prospect of helping me carry a 6-foot tamtam with a carved head through Customs. I can't see why...

CN

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 11:23 pm   Permalink

I finally got around to sorting out some shelves for the bottles.

The starting point was this unit, which I found in a storage box store:

Although it is made from bamboo, it needed tikification, so I cut out a couple of hardboard panels and upholstered them:

Then they were attached to the sides using tacks (the bamboo proved to be too hard for nails):

The shelves in situ:

There's more free space behind the bar now that the bottles are out of the way:

The shelves are very stable, so I have not bolted them to the walls, and consequently they can be removed easily if I want to scrub down the bar.

CN

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 02:53 am   Permalink

The next stage was to paint the inside wall of the tiki bar. I used Glanmore by British Paints.

The work commences:

I went for a two-tone look in the room, with mid-green behind the bar, and the kitchen area in very light green (although it looks like white in these photos):

I already had these customised, heavy-duty curtains over the kitchen window, so painting the whole room the same colour would have been too imposing:

The paint matches the curtains, which match the tiles, so it all seems to tie in together OK.

The kitchen area is not particularly tiki-style, although the pictures tie it in with the rest of the room:

I'm going to see if I can find some appropriately patterned tiles for that back wall behind the stove though - something in a Pacific style that is also functional (to catch grease and steam).

The bar is now basically finished, although doubtless more clutter will be added over time:

The googly-eyed mask over the drinks shelves is from the poster of the tapa exhibition that was held in Te Papa Museum in Wellington (ended last month). For a while back there, this guy had his image plastered all over Wellington.

Alongside him is an image of the Rocher à la Voile (Sail Rock), which also features in the picture window I created on the other side of the bar (see earlier photos). Back in the days of passenger sailing ships and steamboats, the inhabitants of Nouméa used to ride down to the beach at the point opposite this rock and wave farewell to their loved ones sailing for far-off destinations like Indochina, Tahiti, and France.

Other New Caledonian pictures include one of a roussette (flying fox):

To this day, roussettes are considered to be a delicacy by the Kanaks. I have never had the nerve to try one.

Above the kitchen bench is a picture of Kanak flèches faitières (finials):

These carvings are attached to the central pole of Kanak huts. Their design differs from tribe to tribe and from region to region. The one depicted in the middle is from Hienghène, and bears more than a passing resemblance to the one I have over the bar:

The pictures behind the bar are not all to do with New Caledonia though:

The generic Pacific art on the right was made in Auckland, and the one on the left is by me ("Entering Tiki Cove"):

Then there is the "Moruroa Triptych" over the door (French nuclear test photos compiled by me):

And my matching '70s spice racks have been tikified by association:

Here too there is a mix of my art ("Marquesan Boy & Idol"), postcards of Nouméa and Port Vila...:

... along with "After Gauguin" (by Bobby Holcomb), Miss Tahiti 1962, and Betty Page:

That's one way of reminding me to use my spices...

This brings the baseline work of tikifying the bar area to a close. From here on in, what will be involved is detail work and accumulating clutter.

CN

[ This Message was edited by: Club Nouméa 2010-10-05 00:44 ]

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 09:32 am   Permalink

Keep up the good work, your place is taking a new life with the new colors. Do you use the spices?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 6:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks hiltiki, and yes, I do use the spices, and I even grow my own herbs for cooking.

CN

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation