FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Club Nouméa
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Club Nouméa
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 9:05 pm   Permalink

Love the liquor shelf and the triptych. You've really got a unique look going on!

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-25 04:21 am   Permalink

Thanks for the positive feedback, MauiRose.

CN

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-11 03:29 am   Permalink

I have recently been building up my collection of glassware, mainly thanks to local charity stores.

Miscellaneous glasses:

The first shot glass is a magic one that reveals a scantily-clad lady when filled with fluid...

And etched glassware, all in the same style, that I seem to find all over the place:

I have about half a dozen of each of the glasses in the photos above, so I should be set for a while now.

And, while I am at it, some old favourites:

1960s Japanese electro-chrome metal cups, still in their original holder. I "liberated" these from my parents' home years ago. We used to use them on picnics when I was a kid.

CN

[ This Message was edited by: Club Nouméa 2011-01-11 02:36 ]

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-11 02:33 am   Permalink

And, to round off the tour of the glassware etc., here is my not-so-extensive collection of mugs:

Yes, I know there are people on this site who have built extensions to their homes in order to house their mug collections, but 17 mugs is all I've got, and that should do me for now. Incidentally, the two ugly black ones in the front row are reserved for drunk people who I don't trust with my good stuff...

Here are a few more minor odds and ends...

The bar clutter is being built up. I have framed some memorabilia from my 2010 tiki tour of California and Nevada:

More on this trip will be found in the Tiki Travel section (soon...).

And now, behold the wonder that is my plastic puffer fish:

Yes, I can hear you laughing - stop it immediately! A real one was not an option because of the resident cat. This one has the advantage of being unbreakable. If (when) she pulls it down, the most she can do is leave a few teethmarks in it.

I have fitted a couple of tiki door handles in the kitchen:

If they turn out to be resilient enough, I am going to buy more and fit them to all of the kitchen cupboard doors and drawers.

And, to round things off, some Christmas gifts made for me by Ms. Nouméa.

Tiki placemats (2 designs - 2 of each):

And, further evidence that she is the perfect woman, behold the Club Nouméa mug:

Which raises my collection to the impressive number of 18.

More stuff is in the works - wall cladding for behind the stove, and some carved panels, all going well.

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-05 04:07 am   Permalink

The next stage was applying wall cladding behind the stove.

When the house was built, the builders only applied a basic coat of acrylic paint in the kitchen over drywall. Over the intervening years, grease and fat accumulated on the wall behind the stove. As the paint is acrylic, it couldn't be scrubbed hard without rubbing a hole right through it, so the previous owners had left the wall in a mess.

The obvious thing to do was to strip the paint off and recoat. However, there was no protective primer underneath it, so I wasn't keen to see what would happen to the drywall if a solvent was applied. Tiles were too messy and time-consuming, and I couldn't find any with the right pattern, so I opted to cover the wall with Laminex, a Formica clone usually used for benchtops:

As it's designed for use on benchtops, it's easily wipeable. I chose this particular pattern because it looks retro, and vaguely woven:

This was the first time I had used this material, and it turned out to be difficult to cut and handle. Laminex is brittle, and splits and rips easily. I found the best way of cutting it was to use very sharp scissors, combined with a craft knife for the cut-outs. Safety glasses were a necessity, particularly when using the scissors, as Laminex splinters when cut. I used Selley's Liquid Nails adhesive, which worked well, athough Laminex also tends to curl when the glue dries, so I had to sit and watch it for about 30 minutes and tap it back into place if it showed signs of curling.

What looked like a basic wall shape actually turned out to be quite complicated:

Cutting a single piece to cover the wall turned out to be overly optimistic (it cracked), so I split the wall into 3 panels. The central panel was taped up first, so I could work out the dimensions of the other 2 panels:

Then all 3 panels were glued in place:

And the final result:

The next phase involves carving(s).

CN

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-14 01:18 am   Permalink

This big bare beam was my next target:

I thought about various decorative options, including nailing up carved panels, but instead decided to glue up this patterned material:

Front view, looking towards the bar:

The next step is to track down some more carvings - I'm off to Vanuatu!

CN

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-29 11:32 pm   Permalink

Here's the haul from Vanuatu. I'll start with the stuff I haven't worked out where to put yet.

The first one was purchased off a collector and is actually from Papua New Guinea:

She acquired it in the early 70s, so it was probably made shortly before that. It is called a "Garra" and is used in a dance performed by the Bahinemo people of the Middle Sepik. The dancer grasps it using the two triangular shaped holes in the middle.

All the rest are from Vanuatu:

The thing in the middle is made from bamboo and is used to knead breadfruit.

This dancing mask is 28 inches tall:

This tamtam reproduction is 24 inches tall:

And this one is 18 inches tall:

Lastly comes a little stone carving which has found a home in my windowbox:

CN

Lente
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-30 05:20 am   Permalink

You are an excellent problem solver with an eye for design.

View Profile of Lente Send a personal message to Lente      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 09:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-05 04:07, Club Nouméa wrote:
...I opted to cover the wall with Laminex, a Formica clone usually used for benchtops:

This was the first time I had used this material, and it turned out to be difficult to cut and handle. Laminex is brittle, and splits and rips easily. I found the best way of cutting it was to use very sharp scissors, combined with a craft knife for the cut-outs. Safety glasses were a necessity, particularly when using the scissors, as Laminex splinters when cut. I used Selley's Liquid Nails adhesive, which worked well, athough Laminex also tends to curl when the glue dries, so I had to sit and watch it for about 30 minutes and tap it back into place if it showed signs of curling.

If you use Laminex again try putting tape on the back where you'll be cutting, then cut through the Laminex & the tape so the tape holds the Laminex together & keeps it from splintering.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 6:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind comments Lente, and for the Laminex tip, Mr Freelance.

In a flash of inspiration, I worked out what to do with the remaining carvings last night. The stone carving was looking kind of lonely in the window box, so I decided to give him some company:

CN

Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-02 8:25 pm   Permalink

Nice work my friend!

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

View Profile of Suicide Tiki Send a personal message to Suicide Tiki  Email Suicide Tiki Goto the website of Suicide Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 6:51 pm   Permalink

Whoops - Hello Suicide Tiki! I completely missed your comment - thanks for dropping by! (I should too, more often...)

CN

ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-01 10:27 am   Permalink

Cool stuff! Super digging the plastic puffer!

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-18 6:37 pm   Permalink

It has taken me a while to get around to it, but I have finally put up some fairy lights and a tinted lightbulb above the bar:

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-18 7:05 pm   Permalink

Love the dim lights, your place is looking real nice.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation