FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Sven's "Sound of Tiki" cd listening party, Sat May 8th at Don the Beachcomber,6 to 9pm, free
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Sven's "Sound of Tiki" cd listening party, Sat May 8th at Don the Beachcomber,6 to 9pm, free
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 09:18 am   Permalink

It is my pleasure to be spinning Sven's new "sound of tiki" cd this Sat May 8th. 6pm to 9pm, Free.

For More info about the cd, see this thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36348&forum=17&9

Sven will be on hand to say a few words, and he will be selling copies of the cd,and signing them.

after I will be spining some vintage Exotica/Hawaiian,
and a bit of Mellow/tropical surf.

after that, JonPaul's band the Boardwalkers play from 9 pm to 12 midnite.
please come down and enjoy the evening.
Free.

Don the Beachcomber
16278 S. Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
(562) 692-1321
http://www.donthebeachcomber.com/
6 to 9pm, free.

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2010-05-04 13:55 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 12:15 pm   Permalink

Say a few words!? Waitaminnit....
Of course I will! I couldn't do it at Jay's Trader Vic's evening, because I had caught Laryngitis on the plane home.

I could talk about how this CD is really something I always wanted to do, sort of the "Lost Chapter of the Book of Tiki", as I and my publisher TASCHEN had had plans to include an Exotica CD in the book, together with a whole chapter about Exotica music. But as the book's shape and page number became more defined, I had the alternative to cut out several pages from every chapter to stay under the page limit -or make one big overall edit, which became the Exotica chapter. Knowing that the Exotica genre had already been defined and written about extensively during the 90s, I opted for letting it and the CD go, to get more ART in to the book.

Here are some images from my earliest proposal for the book from 1992, when I was still considering calling it "In Search of Tiki":

This is a cut'n'paste mock-up for the cover concept, which Mark Ryden had agreed to do a painting for!

And here is the 1992 chapter index, which changed remarkably little from then to the book's publication in 2000:

Note the last chapter is "Exotica"

And last not least a proposal page from that chapter, just a loose cut'n'paste assemblage of LP covers:

So now, ten years after it was edited out, the LOST CHAPTER of the BOT is finally published -not as a book with a CD, but as a CD with a book!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 7:51 pm   Permalink

To illustrate that last statement, here for those who have not seen it, the U-Tube promo for the CD/Booklet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxX-Sfu-I_0

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 9:05 pm   Permalink

Very cool images bigbro, an interesting glimpse into how your BOT ideas came about in their early stages and were later transformed into what we all know of as the Book of Tiki.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 07:25 am   Permalink

Anyone who missed this event at Trader Vic's last week should definitely be there (and I know that is a lot of you!). Jeff, I'm guessing you wil be playing tracks from the CD there?

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 09:19 am   Permalink

Sven, thanks for chiming in, and thanks for agreeing to let me do this for you at Dons.

Jason,
yes I will be playing the whole cd, and then spinning some other Exotica/Hawaiian/and mellow surf.

Hope to see lots of ya there.
Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 10:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-04 09:19, bigtikidude wrote:
Sven, thanks for chiming in, and thanks for agreeing to let me do this for you at Dons.

Jason,
yes I will be playing the whole cd, and then spinning some other Exotica/Hawaiian/and mellow surf.

Hope to see lots of ya there.
Jeff(btd)

I'm doing something in the afternoon to evening, but will try to get there after as I couldn't make the Trader Vic's thing and definitely want to get Sven's CD (then see some Boardwalkers after).

Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 11:05 am   Permalink

Thanks Brent,

Music at 6,but....
I will probably wait till 7 pm to play Sven's cd.
so hopefully you can make it by then.

Jeff(btd)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2010-05-04 11:08 ]

The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 11:53 am   Permalink

I will try to be there!! I am very interested in giving this CD a listen and Don's is the perfect place for that!!! Also, The Boardwalkers are freakin awesome!!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 1:06 pm   Permalink

cool, thanks Spermy,
I was bummed I had to miss you guys on sunday.

here is a flyer for the 2 events that JonPaul sent me.

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2010-05-04 13:08 ]

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 1:51 pm   Permalink

for more info about the cd,
see this thread in tiki music:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36348&forum=17&9

Tiki Kitty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 11:21 pm   Permalink

Jeff / Sven / JP - I really wish we could make this, but we have family flying into town this week, and have several family gatherings this weekend as a result. We'll look forward to hearing / buying the CD soon!

View Profile of Tiki Kitty Send a personal message to Tiki Kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-05 3:40 pm   Permalink

Well I received the 3 copies I bought on Amazon but I gave them as gifts already. I really would like to have Sven sign my copy but I'm tending Bar at the Tonga Hut until 9 so I will miss this great event.
Sven, when will I be able to catch you again out Valley way if at all? Maybe the 8Ball?

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 3:48 pm   Permalink

Yeah Sven - please consider visiting us over the hill in the valley for a CD signing party. Within the next few weeks possibly? THANKS!!

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 4:13 pm   Permalink

This looks like it is going to be awesome! So bummed I'll be out of town. Someone should get this on film...

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation