FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Found Witco Bar
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Found Witco Bar
MikenRich
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-03 12:26 pm   Permalink

Found this Witco Tiki Bar Set in Massillon Ohio. Was wondering if any members had any info on value or vintage?

Should I sell or keep it?

[ This Message was edited by: MikenRich 2010-05-03 12:29 ]

View Profile of MikenRich Send a personal message to MikenRich      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 12:42 pm   Permalink

The rare "Tahiti" bar, only 15 made. Would not sell it, because Witco value is still weak in this economy. Instead, I recommend to get the book "Tiki Modern" while it is still available and cheap...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/3822847178/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1272915535&sr=1-1&condition=new

...and read it, to fully understand the work of Witco, and thus enjoy this Witco masterpiece with friends and family

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-05-03 16:09 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 12:54 pm   Permalink

Holy S***!

It's a beauty!

Have you enjoyed your first MaiTai at it, yet? I think that's a find that calls for definite celebration!!!!

ENJOY it!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 1:13 pm   Permalink

I think you should sell it. To me. For very cheap.
But seriously, a drool-worthy find! It'll be worth a pretty penny to some collector one day, but I would give it a try and see if it wears on you. First thing you need to do is throw a Tiki party: decorate, put on some appropriate music, mix some drinks, get your friends to wear Hawaiian shirts and muu-muus, and always refer to this site for research and suggestions. That's how I caught the bug!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikenRich
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-03 4:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks to everyone, you are all very knowledgeable and helpful as I do not know anything about this stuff other than it is an awesome piece of furniture. Massillon, Ohio was home to the famous Bali Hai restaurant and I thought this might be from there, but I think this is older than that... Bali Hai opened in the late 1960's.

I also have all the bar stools to go with it and found the Original Witco tag marked K-750 or K-75B also marked 443, but couldn't find any way to decipher the tag.

I'm looking forward to reading the Modern Tiki book

Thanks again for all the help solving this mystery... you guys rock!

RICH
RKMartin@Sssnet.com
Massillon, OH

View Profile of MikenRich Send a personal message to MikenRich      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 4:49 pm   Permalink

My pleasure. Such a find deserves due attention. So far not too many of these have re-surfaced. Here is the 1972 Witco catalog page with the Tahiti bar:

And here is a Tahiti bar (partial view) in a contemporary Tiki habitat (at my home):

And here is the original receipt for it, from the same store in Memphis that Elvis Presley outfitted his Jungle Room from:
The original owner bought not only a complete rumpus room, but also a bed room set:

Note that (with the stools) it was the most expensive item on the list: 798.- bucks (on the bottom) back in 1973: The Cadillac of Witco bars.

The fact that it was not available before the early 1970s makes it entirely possible that it once stood at the Bali Hai, as Witco did outfit many mid-Western Tiki restaurants. But there is always the possibility that some adventurous soul really was inspired by the local Polynesian palace and inquired and bought it for their own rec room.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-03 4:52 pm   Permalink

GROG not Witco fan, but that Tahiti Bar and stools is fabulous.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 5:11 pm   Permalink

MikenRich, I looked for info or material about your Bali Hai on Tiki Central, but only found two old posts (by this ol' guy ):

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4131&forum=1&vpost=65547

Is this the one you knew?

Does anyone else here have anything on this Ohio Bali Hai?

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-03 6:32 pm   Permalink

WOW, that is beautiful!! It looks brand new...Nice find...

Bigbro your habitat looks awesome btw...

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 9:14 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2010-05-06 11:13 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-04 02:48 am   Permalink

November 23, 2003
Section: Lifestyle

Moment in time

Dark days at Bali Hai

"Bali Hai may call you, any night, any day," crooned Bloody Mary in the 1958 movie based on James Michener's "Tales of the South Pacific."
With vivid memories of the film, Stark Countians eagerly anticipated the opening of the Bali Hai Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge at 4508 Lincoln Way E in Perry Township, tiki carvings, torches and all. Emil and Helen Chapanar gave it all the right touches, including Polynesian cocktails. But that was decades ago and the building has been home to several dining spots over the years.

The restaurant’s sign explained the reason 30 years ago for the extinguishing of the flames.

“Torches Out for the Energy Crisis,” said the sign along Lincoln Way E in Perry Township, in front of Bali Hai Restaurant-Lounge.

The torches had become well known during the seven years they had been burning near the restaurant. They burned constantly for that time, on pilot during the day and flaming brightly during operating hours.

But, there was an oil shortage in 1973.

“The nation will start running short of power plant fuel by December, home heating oil by late January, and gasoline by early February,” predicted a story in The Repository Nov. 22.

“Unless very difficult cuts can be made.” the story noted, the country faced energy problems that would dim its lights and cool buildings throughout the nation.

So owner Emil Chapanar darkened his sign.

He turned off for the Bali Hai torches duration of the energy crisis.

— GARY BROWN
Canton Repository Living section editor

View Profile of Bali O Hai O Send a personal message to Bali O Hai O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-04 03:08 am   Permalink

There is very little history to be found on the Bali Hai... i wish we could get a good picture of it in it's heyday... I only found this on the Canton rep website.

I worked there as a server from 1968 to 1975

It was right on the Lincoln highway and opened in 1959, Emil told us it wasn't unusual to see Don Rickles or Steve Allen drinking after a show at the Casablanca which was a mile down the road and was a huge nightclub in the 1940's 50's he said the marx brothers once walked in the door at 3 am during cleanup and wanted food and drinks, he opened back up for them. In his office he had photos signed of all of the traveling entertainers of those times, it was really something to see. My favorite photo was Jackie Gleason sipping a Mai Tai with Emil at that Witco tahiti bar. It always reminded me of a big pineapple.

Your bar set was indeed from the restaurant and was bought through Cheton furniture in Canton. Emil the owner had the set in the village room, our smallest room, later he had it at his home then sold it to a friend who must have later sold it to you. it was very expensive at that time and I only wished then I had enough to buy it .... I always wondered where the huge Easter Island statues went, they were sold at auction when the place closed, sold for 50 bucks each and were made of lava rock like in your grill, they looked heavy but were lighter than you thought.... those are someplace in stark county in a backyard... I bought the torches for $25 and never used them, I think my brother scrapped them in the early 80's. ...The Witco stuff inside was all sold and carried off ... a sad sad day in Stark county .... The building is still there and if I squint hard enough I can still see the Statues and those Flames burning, Oh god how I wish someone would return it to it's Tiki splendor!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Bali O Hai O 2010-05-04 03:10 ]

View Profile of Bali O Hai O Send a personal message to Bali O Hai O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 04:34 am   Permalink

outstanding...i love how a single random post out of nowhere suddenly becomes yet another missing link in a vintage tiki bars history...paints a great picture of how things used to be....thanks for posting everyone....i love threads like this where what used to be mysteries start to become alittle clearer with each posters contributions.....way cool.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 08:09 am   Permalink

Wow! There you have it, guys! Tiki Central serves up the complete history of an item on a platter: From the manufacturer, the production date and price, to the origin and history of the item at a forgotten Tiki haven! Jackie Gleason sat at that bar! Now what would you (and me!) give for THAT photo! Like Tipsy said: Outstanding!

Thank you Bali O Hai O (great name ) for chiming in, we here at Tiki Central love those stories. Any more info will be appreciated. Now who will be the local urban archeologist who digs deeper, and photographs the building as it looks now?

WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-04 08:52 am   Permalink

Well here's a terrible image from Google Maps Street View. Add some thatch back on like the picture above and away
they could go! Looks like it's called Sammy's Restaurant now.

Cool story on a cool piece of Witco!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation