FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Found Witco Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Found Witco Bar
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 12:39 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2010-05-11 08:51, Hakalugi wrote:
Here's the original:
From
http://blog.humuhumu.com/2006/09/11/nothing-says-fancy-like-a-moist-towelette

Fake:

/quote]

Quote:

On 2010-05-11 09:49, GatorRob wrote:
My first thought was that the place just appropriated the Aku Aku design. Happened all the time.

You mean like this?:
Quote:

On 2010-05-04 12:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
I just can't turn off my Tiki photographic memory button in my brain, so here is another likeness:

...and from my Sound of Tiki CD:

NOT an exact "copy of" though, but definitely "inspired by"!

That is too strange: First the doctored exterior, now the fake "moist towelette". What it shows is that Tiki-Tom-Tom was prone to play around with photoshop and Tiki ephemera -if for his personal gain, or just because he WANTED some Bali Hai stuff so bad, we might never know.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-11 2:28 pm   Permalink

Also, in case anyone's wondering where those "huge easter island statues" in front of the Bali Hai came from, they came straight from Easter Island!

Quote:

One of the most famous, recognizable, and photographed moai statues (formerly?) on Easter Island...

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-05-11 3:00 pm   Permalink

Nice work Detectives Hakalugi and Aquarj I'm really enjoying this episode of TCSI.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 3:43 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-05-11 17:26 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 4:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-11 15:43, TIKI DAVID wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-05-05 12:18, TIKI DAVID wrote:
tread very carefully people.

So you actually knew something but chose not to say anything?

Or you suspected something but maybe you didn't have the time to compose more than a cryptic warning? That's possible. I'm busy myself these days.

Nonetheless...

[AT THIS POINT THE MESSAGE IS BEING EDITED, SO IF THERE'S AN UNEDITED MESSAGE BELOW FROM TIKI DAVID IT IS SOMEWHAT JUSTIFIED IF NOT ALL THAT ORIGINAL]

You could have shared what information you knew about this bar or person or at least suggested where Scooby and the Gang might want to go looking. Or you could have said nothing at all. (Understandably a bit difficult to do in light of you being previously taunted in this thread for no reason other than your skill at scoring finds and your physical proximity to this bar.)

[END OF EDIT]

To everyone who actually did some sleuthing and pondering...

This was very interesting to follow. I like how Tiki Centralites once again used their knowledge to address a mystery or question. It's happened many times on Tiki Central and I'm sure it'll happen again...Especially now that everyone knows there are Brownie Points to be earned. [EDIT: The brownie points is in reference to deleted lines above. There are no actual brownie points. Yet.]

woofmutt

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt 2010-05-11 17:13 ]

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikenRich
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-11 4:32 pm   Permalink

deleted

[ This Message was edited by: MikenRich 2010-05-11 17:13 ]

View Profile of MikenRich Send a personal message to MikenRich      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 4:34 pm   Permalink

Woofter, now now, no reason to get so excited! Cause:

A.) David is ALWAYS cryptic

B.) Half of this discovery had been established on page 1

C.) nothing has been proven other than that Bali Ohio has gotten his material from a photoshop happy fellow who has disappeared....

Hmmm....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 4:39 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-05-11 17:25 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 4:48 pm   Permalink

OK, I'm gonna do something I generally dislike...Delete a post. And here's why:

"ha ha ha ha! now that was a good one woofmutt. i never laffed so hard, old friki david is goin ta get mad at cha and he will probably put a friki tiki curse on you!

i am so glad that this Witco bar that i beat friki david out of will never end up in his hands. it must really bother him. i'm glad i can bring him so much entertainment, must be lonley in his mothers basement!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'd hate to tell him the offers i have got way higher than his, keep dreamin bud!"
-MikenRich-

Et Cetera

Look, MikenRich...

Earlier in this thread an esteemed member did a little bit of this taunting dancing about nonsense (which was retracted) but that's not the general tone of Tiki Central as you can clearly see from the bulk of the posts on this thread.

TIKI DAVID is actually a seemingly fairly well liked (at least I don't have any issues with him and don't hear people bitching about him) member of this community. So my comment above (which I might also edit) wasn't because he lost out on this precious piece of firewood but because he chose to do the "I told you so" (not his actual words) thing.

You, on the other hand, are just acting like an ass.

You came here and got what you wanted: Info (or publicity) so why not just be gracious, thank all the good people with cracker jack memories and eagle eyes and continue on with your home Tiki bar building or auction?

woofmutt

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt 2010-05-11 17:03 ]

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikenRich
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-11 5:13 pm   Permalink

I didn't come here to sell it!

[ This Message was edited by: MikenRich 2010-05-11 17:34 ]

View Profile of MikenRich Send a personal message to MikenRich      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 5:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-11 17:13, MikenRich wrote:
I didn't come here to sell it!

[ This Message was edited by: MikenRich 2010-05-11 17:34 ]

"Posted: 8 days ago; 12:26 pm

Found this Witco Tiki Bar Set in Massillon Ohio. Was wondering if any members had any info on value or vintage?

Should I sell or keep it? "

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 5:59 pm   Permalink

"So you actually knew something but chose not to say anything? "
No, as I have stated in here(TC) many times I am delightfully computer 'stupid'.
I did not know enough to 'call it' but something STANK from the beginning in this thread. And I had hoped someone 'comp savvy' would pick up on it.
With so many heads in the clouds on this,'GREAT WITCO FIND'. Some like to make me the 'BAD GUY' because I was holding my nose.
WOOF, you can still keep your brownie points,and I will throw in
a whole bunch of 'Style Points'

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-11 6:00 pm   Permalink

What a silly little bitch fight this thread became all because it was derailed from the original thread topic.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-11 6:11 pm   Permalink

Ha! This thread started weird and it's still weird.

Quote:
On 2010-05-03 16:09, MikenRich wrote:
Massillon, Ohio was home to the famous Bali Hai restaurant and I thought this might be from there, but I think this is older than that... Bali Hai opened in the late 1960's.

Sounds reasonable! And then...

Quote:
On 2010-05-04 03:08, Bali O Hai O wrote:
Your bar set was indeed from the restaurant and was bought through Cheton furniture in Canton. Emil the owner had the set in the village room, our smallest room, later he had it at his home then sold it to a friend who must have later sold it to you. it was very expensive at that time and I only wished then I had enough to buy it.

Ah yes, very expensive even back then! It must be very valuable today! Too bad MikenRich isn't thinking of selling to TC collectors. But wait...

Quote:
On 2010-05-06 10:49, MikenRich wrote:
Selling it is not out of the question, but I am kind of enjoying this. I don't want to cause any trouble here, just learning abut Tiki Culture is cool.

Hope springs anew!

Quote:
On 2010-05-06 11:39, Bali O Hai O wrote:
Rich has told me that the lady he got it from says she is positive it did not come from Bali Hai, she said it was in a private home in Canton.

Eh? Come again? Was this the same guy that said "I thought this might be from there"? Eyebrows are being raised! And then...

Quote:
On 2010-05-11 16:32, MikenRich wrote:
i'd hate to tell him the offers i have got way higher than his [$5000], keep dreamin bud!

Wowee! Offers way higher than $5000! Cha-ching!

For the record, I'm not trying to make an attack out of this. Just giving what seems to me like a natural reaction to things that were publicly posted on this thread. Based on Bali O Hai O's story, I'd think he'd be interested to know if the images he posted are fakes. That's hardly an attack on him (unless he faked them himself, which he says he didn't). And based on Mikenrich's story, he shouldn't have any reason to get upset at all, because he's not planning to sell anyway. What's so bad about Tiki David (or anyone) suggesting that some of this "provenance" from the Bali Hai seems questionable? That certainly wouldn't affect Mikenrich one bit if he's not trying to boost any implied value. Plus he's already been quoted as questioning that provenance himself.

But anyway, somehow this thread is strangely entertaining.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-11 9:02 pm   Permalink

I am very sorry if I caused any of this ruckus.

MITCH

View Profile of Bali O Hai O Send a personal message to Bali O Hai O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation