FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Found Witco Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Found Witco Bar
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 06:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-11 18:11, aquarj wrote:
But anyway, somehow this thread is strangely entertaining.

Indeed, an interesting exercise in web (mis)communication -which to me often is as telling about the psychology of the reader, or "interpreter" of a message than it is about the writer of it. I believe that my "innocent" approach to this subject has a lot to do with the fact that I, as a happy owner of a Tahiti bar, never had any interest or hope in buying this one. So personally I had no reason to suspect a set up, I was much more excited about the possibility of finding photos of celebrities with it, or photos of the Bali Hai interior - as I always am, because to me as a Tiki historian and author that is where the real "value" lies.

Not that all others here whose b.s. detectors went off were entertaining hopes of purchase, I think Randy has a good point, nobody can deny the contradictory flow of messages so far --but for me, being the happy-go-lucky fella I am at heart, all that has perspired here so far can be chalked off to bad secondary info, human error, and fickle mind by the original posters on one hand, and over-interpretation by some of the readers on the other. Call me naive, but that is my (admittedly purely subjective) view of why this initially happy subject took such an unfortunate turn, eliciting all sorts of childish behavior. Tiz tiz, kids! (put shaking forefinger icon here)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 07:11 am   Permalink

I'm enjoying this thread! And I have a little advice for people who start down this path (as if anybody cares).

I'm always curious when somebody starts a post with something like "What is this thing worth?" as if anyone can really answer that question. Even seasoned appraisers can only give a rough guess and depending on all kinds of factors they're often way off base anyway. I learned a long time ago that the only way to get an accurate answer to this question is to SELL the dang thing.

So before you even ask the question, ask yourself this: Do I want to sell this thing, or do I really like it and want to keep it? If you've decided to sell it don't be cagey or coy about it and don't try to play it up beyond it's merits. Advertise the sale everywhere to everybody (Tiki Marketplace is a great forum), provide as much honest information as you can find. If you think your "thing" may be beyond your abilities to market, consider large auction houses like Sotheby's (their fees are very reasonable). Do this, and you'll quickly find the true value of your item.

No guts, no glory.

Now if you just want to insure the thing, pay for an appraisal and insure it for about 30% more.

$.02

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 07:47 am   Permalink

That is all fine advice, but imagine you know NOTHING about Tiki, you know NOTHING about Witco, and come upon this "thing" of a bar: It is impressive, scary, whacky, and obviously not a run-of-the-mill item. Wouldn't you ask yourself, besides the What, Where and When, what the hell is this worth, out of curiosity? And then a friend tells you about this website...
Everybody nowadays has dreams of finding that "Antique Roadshow" treasure, it's a very innocent hope. I do not respond to obvious one-time posters who just want a free quote for something they obviously want to sell without having any interest in the history of it, but the initial post here did not seem to be of such ilk. To me that is.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikenRich
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-12 10:19 am   Permalink

Thanks for the vote of confidence BBT. You hit upon it exactly, my intent was just the basics, and I never dreamed it was such a cool find. I never saw anything like it and didn’t know there were even collectors out there. Very knowledgeable I might add. Finding that Witco tag was like finding the golden wonka ticket.

Speaking of the road show, I was contacted by one of their producers who saw it here.

(too much info)

Everyone here has my email, the bar is in my home and can be inspected by those who ask. If ya want come take photos and sit at it and critique it, every bit of expertise helps.

I'm sure there will be the ones who say BS to this too.

[ This Message was edited by: MikenRich 2010-05-12 19:17 ]

View Profile of MikenRich Send a personal message to MikenRich      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 10:38 am   Permalink

Ha, Antiques Road Show called, that is funny. I can hear all the "Yeah, sure!" reactions here right now. If you're gonna hang on to this baby, and they get serious about it, please recommend me as the appraiser, my wife is a big fan of that show and would get a kick out of that. Have you gotten your copy of my "Tiki Modern" yet? Short of talking to Bill Westenhaver or his grandson in law Ken Pleasant that's all the expertise you're gonna need.

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 10:52 am   Permalink

I've been lurking about watching this thread.

I admit I'm jealous of this discovery and recovery.

I'll also go on record to say F'CKIN AWESOME SCORE, DUDE! Enjoy it. Treasure it. Leave it to your grand kid when you pass.
We all have our dream finds.
Its not everyday a treasure like this surfaces.

Sometimes your dream find may not be (YOUR DREAM) find - did that make sense?

Thanks for your generosity too. G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-13 9:28 pm   Permalink

Moai spotted??

Another member sent me this...

I didn't notice it at first, could it be the missing giant Moai?

I talked with someone who knows where the giant Moai is. He also said it was made of wood, plaster, chicken wire and rock. It is still around, hope to get a photo soon.

Also, it is absolutely confirmed 100% now that Rich's bar DID NOT come from the Bali Hai

[ This Message was edited by: Bali O Hai O 2010-05-13 21:34 ]

View Profile of Bali O Hai O Send a personal message to Bali O Hai O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-20 12:47 pm   Permalink

Saw another WITCO stool set this weekend at a Flea Market in Rogers Ohio that would match this set perfect. Guy was asking $100 for both Witco stools.

View Profile of Bali O Hai O Send a personal message to Bali O Hai O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-13 04:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-20 12:47, Bali O Hai O wrote:
Saw another WITCO stool set this weekend at a Flea Market in Rogers Ohio that would match this set perfect. Guy was asking $100 for both Witco stools.

HEY ,THANKS FOR THE TIP.
I went last friday,the guy still had them.they were a little weatherd,
but they will clean up nice.
got them both for $50.00
I'll post the pics soon.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-25 10:27 pm   Permalink

New Photos

A lot of really cool stuf has been found these past weeks from Bali Hai.

The most recent owner turned us on to more mugs and witco stuff he had for years, MikenRich bought all he had after it was confirmed that it came from the Bali Hai.

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-26 12:08 pm   Permalink

qoute;
"The most recent owner turned us on to more mugs and witco stuff he had for years, MikenRich bought all he had after it was confirmed that it came from the Bali Hai."

SO, where are those pics?

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikenRich
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-26 5:40 pm   Permalink

Great pix of the Bali Hai memorabilia... The stuff that has come to surface over the past few months is remarkable...To think some people didn't even know the place existed. The Witco pieces I bought are nothing fancy, matter of fact you can see some of it in the photos hanging in the background on the walls. I like the fact that you have those great old Black and White photos of the table settings and the same table lamp matches the ones you found. Can't wait to see the other pix!...has anyone located the Giant Moai Head?...I've heard it's still around in someones garden in louisville, ohio??

View Profile of MikenRich Send a personal message to MikenRich      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Yeti

Posted: 2010-09-07 10:44 am   Permalink

Strangely enough, my wife and I planned a Tiki party for this past weekend, so I went out looking for a suitable bar in the local second hand stores... and we wound up with what appears to be the exact same Witco bar that Elvis had in the Jungle Room at Graceland! It needs some touching up, and the stools are a little different- but I was blown away to see the pictures from the jungle room when I started researching ours today. We took it out on the deck for the party but rest assured it came back into the house, and is surrounded by velvet paintings now. I'm reeling. Here's ours:

Heres the Jungle Room bar:

Here's ours in action:

Happy Tiki all!!!

View Profile of Yeti Send a personal message to Yeti      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-08 10:31 am   Permalink

Wow! Great find. The Tiki Gods were looking out for you that day. Congratulations.

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation