FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart 151
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
Lemon Hart 151
GeneriKB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-09 08:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-27 23:09, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-08-24 22:33, JOHN-O wrote:
That's interesting advice. Let us know what you think. Will you be able to compare it to LH 151?

My gut tells me it's just going to just be a waste of good El Dorado 12-year. I hope you prove me wrong.

Is the 151 even distilled in Guyana? The Beverage Warehouse price listing references Mexico. The cheap red labeling of the bottle is scary.

John,

I just received my parcel today. The El Dorado clear 151 is indeed labelled "Product of Guyana". I'll get a chance to try this combo tonight or tomorrow and I'll let you know the results. By the way, the El Dorado 12 year is bloody fantastic! It's deep and smooth, smooth enough to drink in a snifter. I don't know if I'll be able to back to the 5 year old after this......having the 12 year old in a Navy Grog right now. Good god it's wonderful!

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2010-08-27 23:11 ]

How did mixing it go????

View Profile of GeneriKB Send a personal message to GeneriKB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-09 12:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-31 19:28, Rum guy wrote:
.....at the biggest liquor store in the US, Sam's Wine and Spirits in Chicago....

Just a slightly off-topic FYI, Sam's was sold last year to Binny's, a competitor with a bunch of stores in the Chicago area.

Sam's is gone.

Binny's took over the massive Sam's store near North Ave and Clyborn (the one referenced by Ed/Rum Guy), and have signigificantly reduced the breadth of the selection.

They now have fewer choices in all major booze categories - rum, gin, liqueurs, whiskey, etc. The wine selection is still very good, but smaller.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-09 7:57 pm   Permalink

Sorry for not responding sooner. I did on fact make a 1934 zombie as well as a 1957 Aku-Aku Zombie last weekend using a 60/40 blend of clear El Dorado 151 and El Dorado 12yr Demerara and the results were great, much better then the Goslings 151 that I've been using since I ran out of LH151. This will be my go-to 151 sub, but I'm curious to try the blend using the 15yr El Dorado as well. BTW, the clear El Dorado does in fact state 'Product of Guyana"on it's label.

As to Sam's/Binny's; Binny's flat out sucks. They have drastically reduced Sam's spirit selections (Binny's as always been more of a wine store) and they have also drastically raised prices across the board as well, on every category. I guess that they can do that now that they have eliminated the competition. I travel to Chicago 3-4 times per year, and I always used to stock up on spirits, wine & Champagne at Sam's. Not anymore-I don't even go to Binny's, I buy what I can here at home and mail order everything else. F*ck Binny's.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum guy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-18 6:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-09 12:52, tikibars wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-08-31 19:28, Rum guy wrote:
.....at the biggest liquor store in the US, Sam's Wine and Spirits in Chicago....

Just a slightly off-topic FYI, Sam's was sold last year to Binny's, a competitor with a bunch of stores in the Chicago area.

Sam's is gone.

Binny's took over the massive Sam's store near North Ave and Clyborn (the one referenced by Ed/Rum Guy), and have signigificantly reduced the breadth of the selection.

They now have fewer choices in all major booze categories - rum, gin, liqueurs, whiskey, etc. The wine selection is still very good, but smaller.

Binny's has pared down the selection a bit but reliable sources, I'm based in Chicago right now, that they are looking to rebuild the rum selection after the acquisition. As you can imagine there was a lot of stock that just wasn't worth keeping on the shelves and when the big Sam's store was bought the rum aisle had been decimated as no one wanted to spend money on stock when the store was for sale.

View Profile of Rum guy Send a personal message to Rum guy  Goto the website of Rum guy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum guy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-18 7:26 pm   Permalink

Here's the latest from what I consider to be reliable sources at Mosaiq and DDL. As previously mentioned in this thread, when Lemon Hart brand was owned by Pernod it was blended and bottled in the Windsor, Ontario plant. And according to Mosaiq did not contain any tax-break Canadian rum.

When I first heard about the sale to Mosaiq my concern was that the product, if ever available again, wouldn't be the same blend because DDL wouldn't allow anyone to use the Demerara Rum name on any product that wasn't bottled in Guyana. This was in response to previous problems they had experienced with misuse of their appellation. So when Mosaiq told me that they had permission to use the Demerara Rum name on the Lemon Hart rum they were going to blend and bottle, which hasn't yet begun, I was skeptical.

According to Mosaiq, and confirmed by DDL, there is a contract for DDL to provide bulk rum to Mosaiq to be blended and bottled as Lemon Hart Demerara Rum. So that's the good news for Canada. The US is a slightly more muddled story.

DDL has changed in recent years from being a bulk supplier of aged and fresh rum to a company focused on selling their El Dorado brand. I think they have done a good job of this in the past and have no reason to believe they won't continue to do a good job this in the future. In my dealings with DDL it has become obvious that they don't want to sell any brand other than El Dorado including Lemon Hart so the fact that they have contract with Mosaiq bodes well for the future of Lemon Hart.

At this point there is no US importer and that will have to be worked out with someone who is willing and able to pay almost $50 a case in Federal Excise Tax per case when the product crosses the border, compared to about half that amount for the more usual 80 proof products, plus another few thousand in miscellaneous fees, charges and stuff that you have to deal with as a spirits importer when you bring a container across an international border.

While this forum is quite vocal about their search for, and love of this rum, few other consumers really care about a product that has a relatively small market. I believe there will be some good news in the coming months but if you can find some Lemon Hart 151 you should buy it as the supply will be interrupted even if a new importer agreement was signed tomorrow.

View Profile of Rum guy Send a personal message to Rum guy  Goto the website of Rum guy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 01:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-18 19:26, Rum guy wrote:
Here's the latest from what I consider to be reliable sources at Mosaiq and DDL. As previously mentioned in this thread, when Lemon Hart brand was owned by Pernod it was blended and bottled in the Windsor, Ontario plant. And according to Mosaiq did not contain any tax-break Canadian rum.

When I first heard about the sale to Mosaiq my concern was that the product, if ever available again, wouldn't be the same blend because DDL wouldn't allow anyone to use the Demerara Rum name on any product that wasn't bottled in Guyana. This was in response to previous problems they had experienced with misuse of their appellation. So when Mosaiq told me that they had permission to use the Demerara Rum name on the Lemon Hart rum they were going to blend and bottle, which hasn't yet begun, I was skeptical.

According to Mosaiq, and confirmed by DDL, there is a contract for DDL to provide bulk rum to Mosaiq to be blended and bottled as Lemon Hart Demerara Rum. So that's the good news for Canada. The US is a slightly more muddled story.

DDL has changed in recent years from being a bulk supplier of aged and fresh rum to a company focused on selling their El Dorado brand. I think they have done a good job of this in the past and have no reason to believe they won't continue to do a good job this in the future. In my dealings with DDL it has become obvious that they don't want to sell any brand other than El Dorado including Lemon Hart so the fact that they have contract with Mosaiq bodes well for the future of Lemon Hart.

At this point there is no US importer and that will have to be worked out with someone who is willing and able to pay almost $50 a case in Federal Excise Tax per case when the product crosses the border, compared to about half that amount for the more usual 80 proof products, plus another few thousand in miscellaneous fees, charges and stuff that you have to deal with as a spirits importer when you bring a container across an international border.

While this forum is quite vocal about their search for, and love of this rum, few other consumers really care about a product that has a relatively small market. I believe there will be some good news in the coming months but if you can find some Lemon Hart 151 you should buy it as the supply will be interrupted even if a new importer agreement was signed tomorrow.

Thanks for the insightful update Rum Guy. El Dorado, via updates on their Facebook page, have stated an interest in producing a genuine 151 proof demerara rum. Here in the States, El Dorado might represent our best hope of ever seeing a supply of 151 demerara returning to the market.

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2010-09-19 01:29 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 6:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-18 19:26, Rum guy wrote:
......Mosaiq told me that they had permission to use the Demerara Rum name on the Lemon Hart rum they were going to blend and bottle, which hasn't yet begun, I was skeptical.

I think they have done a good job of this in the past and have no reason to believe they won't continue to do a good job this in the future. In my dealings with DDL it has become obvious that they don't want to sell any brand other than El Dorado including Lemon Hart so the fact that they have contract with Mosaiq bodes well for the future of Lemon Hart.

I believe there will be some good news in the coming months but if you can find some Lemon Hart 151 you should buy it as the supply will be interrupted even if a new importer agreement was signed tomorrow.

Thanks for the news Ed. Glad I started stocking up when Tiare questioned availability two years ago. Now I'll actually measure it out when I pour the half oz.

Cheers,
Erik the Red

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GeneriKB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-20 12:38 pm   Permalink

On a related Lemon Hart note...I got my 2 bottles in from Hawaii a few weeks ago! First time I've ever tried Lemon Hart, and MAN it's so tasty (but packs one helluva punch!)

Had it in a Jet Pilot...and while I really enjoyed the first one, there's just too much going on flavor-wise in that drink for it to be on my "Tiki go-to" list. I also tried a Zombie (DTB recipe), but had a similar opinion...which makes sense since the ingredients are nearly identical. The $100 Mai Tai still reigns supreme!

Any other good Lemon Hart recipes that I could try?

View Profile of GeneriKB Send a personal message to GeneriKB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 1:26 pm   Permalink

151 Rum Swizzle -

Simple and it will "Light your fire!"

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maitai Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-20 6:48 pm   Permalink

I just purchased my first bottle of Lemon Hart 151 from a store on Coronado Island in San Diego.

View Profile of Maitai Mike Send a personal message to Maitai Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-20 7:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-20 12:38, GeneriKB wrote:

I really like the "Hart of Darkness" from Beachbum Berry Remixed.

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 05:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-20 19:57, heylownine wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-09-20 12:38, GeneriKB wrote:

I really like the "Hart of Darkness" from Beachbum Berry Remixed.

kevin

I'll agree with that

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 08:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-20 18:48, Maitai Mike wrote:
I just purchased my first bottle of Lemon Hart 151 from a store on Coronado Island in San Diego.

WHAT!? Which store? Did they have more in stock? How much were they selling for?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 4:57 pm   Permalink

I saw that bottle when we were there in July.
Told a guy next to me to get the Lemon Hart run as it's great!
He did not buy it, I did not buy it, as I have 4 now.
If it's the same store they only had the one out front.
It is a big store kinda off the main drag.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 5:08 pm   Permalink

It was Park Place Liquor.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/park-place-liquor-coronado
My wife and her family went to Mootime ice cream.
And I went for booze.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation