FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart 151
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
Lemon Hart 151
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 4:59 pm   Permalink

Just to clarify, why is it that Pernod Ricard was allowed to use the Demerara name but Mosaiq is not? I know Mosaiq is a Canadian company and Pernod Ricard has a USA LLC, but how does that affect one being able to use the name but not the other?

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 6:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-06 16:59, congawa wrote:
Just to clarify, why is it that Pernod Ricard was allowed to use the Demerara name but Mosaiq is not? I know Mosaiq is a Canadian company and Pernod Ricard has a USA LLC, but how does that affect one being able to use the name but not the other?

It shouldn't matter.

I looked in the US PTO trademark database and no one has a trademark for "Demerara Rum" and I am not sure anyone could file one since Demerara Rum is a specific example of a geographic name for a spirit in the United States Standards of Identity.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-06 9:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-06 10:26, arriano wrote:
Didn't we go through all of this before a couple of years ago -- Lemon Hart is going away, get it while you can, etc. etc. Then lo and behold it's available again with little lag time. If I had to guess, I would say it's most likely that a deal will soon be struck with an American distributor and it will be as available as ever. I think the American market is too valuable for a beverage handler not to tap into it. Mi dos centavos.

"I certainly hope that is the case", he says, making plans to start hoarding bottles.

kevin

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 10:18 pm   Permalink

There is only one distillery of rum in Guyana that I know of. Demerara Distilley Ltd. (El Dorado). They provide/sell to Mosaiq/Lemon Hart I suppose. If Lemon Hart wants to continue being Lemon Hart then they will abide by their supplier.
All guesses.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 07:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-06 18:58, rev_thumper wrote:

"I looked in the US PTO trademark database and no one has a trademark for "Demerara Rum" and I am not sure anyone could file one since Demerara Rum is a specific example of a geographic name for a spirit in the United States Standards of Identity."

Search the trademark database for "Demerara", or registration number 2381130. Demerara Distillers Limited renewed the trademark for the word "Demerara", used in connection to 'Goods and Services: Rum', on 4-29-2010. They also have registered the trademarks, "Demerara Reserve", and "Demerara Gold" - seems unnecessary, though, if they all ready have a lock on any use of "Demerara" for rum.

Hmmm,... does this mean I could secure a trademark for the term "Puerto Rican", when used for rum? Take that, Bacardi!

Considering how long Lemon Hart Demerara Rum, so labeled, has been sold in the U.S. - longer than El Dorado? - there is probably a good common law case against them being forced to stop using the word "Demerara". Especially, since - as Rev_Thumper pointed out - one shouldn't be able to enforce a trademark of a long-used regionally descriptive term. Maybe the reason Demerara Distillers LTD was able to get 'Demerara' trademarked is because Lemon Hart, et. al., never bothered even trying. They assumed that it would have been like trying to trademark "Caribbean" or "Jamaican", in reference to rum.
Of course, if LH is no longer being produced in Demerara, Guyana, they can't argue that their use of the term is geographically descriptive, can they?

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2010-05-07 08:28 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 09:31 am   Permalink

Well, ther eis an older beer maker named Budweiser, and they can't import into the US with their name, so, age is not an excuse when it comes to trademark.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 4:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-07 09:31, Swanky wrote:
Well, there is an older beer maker named Budweiser, and they can't import into the US with their name, so, age is not an excuse when it comes to trademark.

I don't think that's the same situation, though. If 'old' Budweiser had been sold across the U.S. for decades, before 'new' Budweiser entered the U.S. market; and, the name Budweiser was historically associated with the older brand, in more peoples minds... then, the older one could make a case that they had an earlier common law trademark, by long use, even if it wasn't registered with the USPTO. I don't believe it quite works the same as with a patent, where the one who registers it first, owns it, regardless of whether someone else had been manufacturing it for years, without patent. There is a common law component, with trademarks. That's why they warn you that, just because a trademark isn't registered with the USPTO, doesn't mean you can register and use it, without fear of legal action by someone who has been using it for years, perhaps registered with a state, or perhaps simply with "TM" next to it, on the label. Trademark attorneys specialize in this kind of research, checking state and municipal records, phone books, etc.

Of course, "Budweiser" is a brand name, like "Lemon Hart". In the case we're talking about, it would be as if Budweiser trademarked the word, "Lager" or "German-style", and insisted no one else could use it to describe their beer. To me, "Demerara" is both a geographic origin and a category or type of rum, with distinct characteristics. Even if Lemon Hart isn't actually made in Guyana, anymore, it still (presumably) would have the taste profile associated with the type, "Demerara Rum". Hey, we now call it 'Cognac', even if it's from California, right?

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 7:34 pm   Permalink

Well, Barcardi has the rights to Havana Club name in the US and what they're selling could not be farther from Cuban Havana Club. If this Canadian company has the bought the "brand" rights but does not have any contract with the current distillery we could see a reformulated LH151 which will bear little to no resemblance to what we enjoy today.

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-08 05:10 am   Permalink

The first informal reports are back from 'those in the know' at Rum Renaissance.....

The general opinion can be summed up thusly: grab a few extra bottles next time your out shopping. There will be some kind of shortage while new contracts and pricing and similar things are worked out with distributors. After a while all the things get worked out and will be back to normal.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-08 11:26 am   Permalink

Here's hoping that's exactly what will go down. I've scored a half dozen bottles just in case the future version doesn't quite measure up.

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-08 12:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-08 05:10, Chip and Andy wrote:
The first informal reports are back from 'those in the know' at Rum Renaissance.....

The general opinion can be summed up thusly: grab a few extra bottles next time your out shopping. There will be some kind of shortage while new contracts and pricing and similar things are worked out with distributors. After a while all the things get worked out and will be back to normal.

That's certainly welcome news. I've got my couple of extra bottles on standby.

[ This Message was edited by: heylownine 2010-05-08 12:24 ]

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
toofastjim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-09 5:28 pm   Permalink

jesus christ- I'm already hoarding St. James...what next?

View Profile of toofastjim Send a personal message to toofastjim  Goto the website of toofastjim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-09 9:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-06 22:18, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
There is only one distillery of rum in Guyana that I know of. Demerara Distilley Ltd. (El Dorado). They provide/sell to Mosaiq/Lemon Hart I suppose. If Lemon Hart wants to continue being Lemon Hart then they will abide by their supplier.
All guesses.

Here's another one:

Found it in Prague. Delish! It's from Georgetown...is that close to Jonestown?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 12:04 am   Permalink

Well then, that's some tasty Kool-aid. Either way I'm with Anders, Dagger, ahhh, the smell, St. James, Lemon Hart just shuffle
some away for a very rainy day.... Just don't let it rain, that's all..... Were gonna be ok!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 9:44 pm   Permalink

I went to Hi Time cellars today and they're 100% out of Lemon Hart 151. They don't even have the tag on the shelf for it anymore. There's a big, empty space next to the regular Lemon Hart, so I hope that doesn't disappear soon also. I asked someone working, and he said somebody came in and bought the last case a few days ago! At least I know someone in So-cal has 12 bottles of the stuff somewhere...

Such a huge bummer.

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation