[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Glassware - non tiki mug
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Glassware - non tiki mug
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 9:21 pm   Permalink

I like nice drinkware, however I am not inclinded to get any actual "tiki" mugs at the moment

I am more looking more along the lines of nice glassware to server a fancier cocktail (which tiki drinks are) in

Does anyone have any good ideas for a proper glass to server a Mai Tai and Zombie in that would be nice glassware for a dinner party etc. That is where I am going to start out and see where it leads me

Thanks

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 10:13 pm   Permalink

A mai tai should be served in a rocks (lowball) glass. Here's a very basic one:

A zombie should be served in a tall, straight-sided glass often called a zombie glass. Here's another basic example:

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-05 1:31 pm   Permalink

Reviving an old thread because I'm looking for ideas on glassware to use rather than the typical tiki mugs I'm accustomed to. I know certain drinks are supposed to be served in particular size and style glasses but besides a couple Hukilau snifters and odd Ikea or Target highballs, I don't really have any appropriate cocktail glasses to use. Being that I have a mid century home decked out in MCM furnishings, I would prefer to stick with something of a 50s or 60s vintage. I've contemplated getting Dorothy Thorpe roly poly's, Briard high balls or Fred Press old fashioneds but just haven't found the designs I truly love yet. Curious what everyone on here drinks out of that is not a tiki mug. Maybe a little show and tell...

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-05 1:41 pm   Permalink

I get what you're saying. When I'm home alone I drink from glassware that feels comfortable in my hand -- usually double old fashioned glasses. But for friends I will whip out highball glasses, sometimes tiki mugs, and at other times snifters depending on the cocktail. So when company comes over - get showy. For yourself, use the vintage and retro styles which you enjoy. There are times where the aroma of a drink benefits from using specific glassware. But many other times it's just a matter of how tall/big/wide/long your garnishes are, and then striking the right visual effect with either short or tall glassware. The same is true for conducting samplings and tastings -- shot glasses or limoncello glasses? It often is not an issue. And my guests really appreciate drinking out of a mish-mash of various glass sizes and shapes.

Not sure if this is helpful, but have fun and be creative. You're lucky if you have a collection of cool-looking vintage glassware. Enjoy it all!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-05 1:44 pm   Permalink

Mike - I go around to various thrift stores like Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. and I will buy up hurricane glasses, crystal stemware and all kinds of glassware. They are usually super cheap, like throw away after one use cheap. Not that I don't get a long life from them but I usually pay 50 cents to $1 per glass. As well as tiki, I like all craft cocktails and I have been on an absinthe kick for quite some time so the crystal stemware works great! You may have to do some searching, but you will find some great stuff with lots of character and uniqueness. I am going to post a couple of pictures of glassware I use on the "what are you drinking right now" thread to give you a couple of ideas.

Also, thanks for searching out old threads instead of cluttering up TC!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-05 1:52 pm   Permalink

How about the best of both worlds:

http://www.cb2.com/tai-tall-cocktail-glass/s171179

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-08-05 3:08 pm   Permalink

Williams Sonoma sells very nice glasses of this type if that's within your budget. Below that, I'd try Crate and Barrel.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-05 6:40 pm   Permalink

My home bars are well stocked with Dbl old fashion’s, Hi-ball’s of various shapes (straight sided, sloped/angled, etc.) and 3-4 brandy snifters. Almost all from thrift’s. I do have a weakness for vintage barware so i have bought a few piece’s from antique stores.My wife likes the quality of Tommy Bahama barware so we also have a fair amount of their stuff. Don’t use the mug collection much cept to look at. I firmly believe the drink should look as good as it taste’s and a good starting point is your choice of drinking vessel.
Cheers
Btw,Mauka, Where did you get dose moai glass’s? Dey are killa!

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-08-05 18:44 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2014-08-05 7:55 pm   Permalink

The moai glassware is from CB2. Crate and Barrel's cheaper line. http://m.cb2.com/tai-tall-cocktail-glass/s171179

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-06 12:29 am   Permalink

Mahalo Lori!

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-08-06 12:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-05 13:52, MaukaHale wrote:
How about the best of both worlds:

http://www.cb2.com/tai-tall-cocktail-glass/s171179

These are great! Thanks for the link.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-06 08:50 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting that link, Lori. There's a C & B outlet in my town that I haven't been to in a few years. I think I'll swing by and see if I get lucky, if not I'll try the stores or if all else fails - order them online. Thanks to you I know they exist!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2014-08-06 09:02 am   Permalink

MaukaHale posted the link, but I think it got lost in the great photo of the glasses.

They also have these 8 ounce tiki glasses, but I think they look like cat faces instead of the Maori faces I think they're trying to convey. Maybe they look different in person.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-08-06 1:04 pm   Permalink

I prefer to drink out of glasses, I think that seeing the drink & swizzling the ice is part of enjoying the drink for me - Im working towards having one for each drink on the menu in my home bar

Regular (& hot beverage):

More 'tiki cocktail' style:

Stemmed:

What I serve my home cocktails out of:

Branded:

For neat spirits:

Something Id like to get about 4/5 more types, I think the hardest to find would be some unbranded comet glasses:

I havent seen any of them yet.

My partner trys to enforce a 'one-in-one-out' rule, who's she kidding

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2014-08-06 13:04 ]

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-06 4:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-06 13:04, AdOrAdam wrote:

My partner trys to enforce a 'one-in-one-out' rule, who's she kidding

AOA, my wife has tried to pull that with me re plastic stadium cups.

(every pro and college sports team here (basketball, baseball, american football, hockey) sells branded concession cups at their stadiums/arenas-- do they have those in the UK?)

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation