FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Glassware - non tiki mug
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Glassware - non tiki mug
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-10 07:49 am   Permalink

FWIW,

Other than some collectible mugs, I generally prefer to have (and serve in) glassware. For Tiki purposes, The Hukilau glassware (mostly DOFs, but some years they have had Collins glasses and snifters) is ideal. Otherwise MY choice (YMMV) is the Bormioli Strauss line for barware and the Michelangelo line for stemware, which are available in pretty much every size and shape.

My suggestion, IF you want some all-purpose glassware to attractively hold cocktails for a large crowd, go to restaurant supply websites (my choice is
http://www.wasserstrom.com) and select a line you find attractive and then get a case of each style of glass you'll need for the sorts of cocktails you serve. At these sorts of sites, you're could get away with spending something like $20-$30 for a case of 12 glasses, although sometimes you'll have to buy a case of 36 or 48.

Normally the selections are pretty huge, so you may actually spend a LOT of time deciding.

HTH somebody!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-10 11:25 pm   Permalink

I found three of the dbl old fashions at a Goodwill yesterday.The one on the left I already had six of-they have a sailing ship etched on them. The new ones are very hefty. Never have too much barware...or rum! Point of this post...you don’t have to spend a lot of moolah for nice glassware.
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-08-10 23:29 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-10 11:41 pm   Permalink

I also prefer to serve drinks in glass. I have all my glasses on bamboo shelves but they get dusty, so would eventually like to have an enclosed case to put them in.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-08-11 12:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-06 16:46, thePorpoise wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-08-06 13:04, AdOrAdam wrote:
My partner trys to enforce a 'one-in-one-out' rule, who's she kidding

AOA, my wife has tried to pull that with me re plastic stadium cups.

(every pro and college sports team here (basketball, baseball, american football, hockey) sells branded concession cups at their stadiums/arenas-- do they have those in the UK?)

Stadium cups are a thing in the UK but not necessarily a given at all sporting events - Most likely the bigger teams would have them. I had some when I was younger, good to see you keeping the flame alive!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-11 05:26 am   Permalink

Speaking of stadium cups, I learned quickly that if you attend Mardi Gras in New Orleans you can easily come home with a lifetime supply of very cool plastic drinking cups. Many are nicely sized for cocktails around the pool as opposed to using glass. Every year they throw thousands of pounds of free drinkware to the parade watchers. Well, except in those years where a hurricane previously leveled the city and the parades are cancelled.

I have a follow-up question. Is it true that, in Europe, from American movies and TV, many people believe that Americans only drink out of red plastic Dixie cups?

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-08-11 06:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-11 05:26, AceExplorer wrote:
I have a follow-up question. Is it true that, in Europe, from American movies and TV, many people believe that Americans only drink out of red plastic Dixie cups?

True, those are the height of American party chic to us Europeans

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-11 07:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-11 06:14, AdOrAdam wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-08-11 05:26, AceExplorer wrote:

True, those are the height of American party chic to us Europeans

Thanks. That is embarrassing for us in a way, but for the typical high school and college parties, not at all off the mark.

How would you describe to us what is done in Europe? I'm personally only familiar with wine and beer drinking out of glassware or earthenware crockery when I've travelled around Europe and partied at Oktoberfest in Munich.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-08-11 10:19 am   Permalink

I say 'red dixie cups are the height of American party chic' half as a joke - it's what you wish parties were like when you are a late teenager / early 20s.

Teenage parties in the UK are synonymous with cans of lager / 'stubbies' or bottled alco-pops, there was always a lack of ice & glasses. I have no idea why disposable cups weren't around - I'd probably still smile & say 'ooh, a red cup' if I was given a drink in one.

Being a young (ish) adult parties are much more civilised - if your hosts drink wine you'll probably get a wine glass. Steins are more a Central European thing & event related (like Octoberfest).

Generally the number of glasses friends have has increased (to say a set of highballs), the cheaper lagers have been replaced by better bottled beer but the lack of ice explicably remains.

Nowadays I usually take ice & a small kit for Mojitos

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-14 2:30 pm   Permalink

A lot of bars (most bars?) use Libbey brand glassware and it is good quality and cheap.

Get some coupes, some rocks glasses, some DOF's for the Mai Tais, some Collins glasses....

I buy stuff at thrift shops and the like, along with the occasional new purchase. But yeah, you can get good cheap stuff secondhand.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-19 12:52 am   Permalink

Goodwill stores, at least down here in South Florida, are a treasure trove of old glassware. I've found many cool glasses for literally pennies.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-24 09:14 am   Permalink

Saw these at Dillard's yesterday:

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-08-24 09:16 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-26 06:47 am   Permalink

New drink ware I picked up over the weekend that I'm really excited about. These were all at vintage and antique stores so they were around $4 a piece rather than the super bargain Goodwill prices some of you have been scoring. But I love the patterns and sizes of these glasses (note: that's paper inside the starburst and amoeba glasses to better show the print). Anxious to try a 151 Swizzle in the aluminum cup.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-26 4:20 pm   Permalink

Very nice finds Mike! I particularly like the MCM glassware.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-26 4:29 pm   Permalink

Scored some classic Atomic glassware.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-26 7:58 pm   Permalink

About 90% of the time, I'm serving out of the custom glassware we had made for the bar. The other 10% of the time, I'm serving out of vintage glassware. Of particular interest to you guys is the Noritake Bamboo glassware. The pieces are etched with bamboo stalks and leaves. It was a very popular pattern, and as such, there's a ton of it out there, very affordable, and just gorgeous, delicate, high quality stuff. And variety! Oh my goodness, you'd go crazy trying to track down all the different shapes available out there.

I just grabbed this picture from a current eBay auction for brandy snifters (which is what I use for serving straight rum in my bar):

Here's a link to an eBay search for "noritake bamboo glasses":
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xnoritake+bamboo+glass&_nkw=noritake+bamboo+glasses&_sacat=0

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation