FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Tiki Bar (i know, it needs a better name...)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Tiki Bar (i know, it needs a better name...)
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-04 10:33 pm   Permalink

I wish i had known about Tiki Central long ago. The info and the culture on this site are amazing, and the tiki bars on this forum are incredible! Here is the bar i've built over the last few years. I don't have many early photos because i had no idea i would take it as far as i have, but tiki-life is hard to keep on the 'hobby' level without evolving into obsession.
The bar is built on a raised patio that is half covered with a roof. Because i am only renting the house i had to build a separate frame to extend the roof over the rest of the patio. There are only about a dozen holes made in the exterior stucco walls to support a shelf and to hang the bamboo wall coverings and lights. I dread the day it happens, but this bar can be moved when the time comes.
I've tried to keep the place as 'natural' as possible. most of the lighting is concealed. no plastic, no TV, no clocks. there is a laser beam / smoke machine behind the bar, but they are 'mystically powered'. I was going for a shipwrecked theme of sorts.
the inspiration for the bar came from my times at The Kahiki, and from the lone Kahiki mug that i dug out of a box as i was moving my ex-wife out of the house. I don't have a large mug collection, but its growing slowly.
some early photos:

a rainy grand-opening, back in 2004.

here are some recent pix:

the Ivy on the "rain wall' has grown to overtake most of the roof and encircles the bar. i thought of re-naming the place Lumi La'au hihi (The Vine Room), but i can barely pronounce that when sober...

the shelves are made of recycled Teak taken from a 50 year old deck (once owned by Gerald Ford). the interior lighting of the bottles and shot glasses is concealed so theres no direct view of any light bulbs to blind you.

not a lot of tiki mugs yet, but growing. we drink a lot of shots here.

i used the same recycled Teak to frame the stucco seatwall, trying to look like an old boat deck. also turned some arbutus trunks and a redwood plank into that exterior bench and shelf.

some artifacts of the shipwreck.

this is Teek, the guardian of the bar. he's also made from the same recycled teak decking. he's the first carving i completed, and actually functions as a marionette. arms and legs are articulating, head swivels and nods. I'd never made anything like this before, but i was 'inspired' by a woman (and a lot of Rum).

the back of the bar erupts with smoke and there's a laser in there somewhere. its hard to photograph and is probably my next task to upgrade.

night pic, my steady hand...

i've carved some fun toys out of 'feather rock', like this volcanic drink warmer. its not just for brandy, actually, hot absinthe is quite good (and by the time you've even considered drinking that, moderation is no longer in the vocabulary).

i'd love to hear any comments or critiques. there's a ton i could learn from you all.
i know the place could use a better name, but without knowing about all the amazing home bars on this forum i thought The Tiki Bar might not have been taken!
I'm getting a lot of inspiration from everyone else's pictures, so expecting a summers worth of changes to keep this place evolving.

Be Well,
Faztiki

View Profile of faztiki Send a personal message to faztiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-05 12:42 am   Permalink

I LOVE the simplicity of the structure. Very clean lines. This is a great example of making a tiki environment out of not much (an outdoor patio). ZAZZ !
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 01:30 am   Permalink

Great job! Looks like a really cool bar/outpost with all the wild growth covering the outside of it. Beautiful at night too.
You definitely already knew what you were doing before you found Tiki Central. Welcome to the site!

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-05 05:33 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC! Love your space! Cool dog too!

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: WestADad 2010-05-05 05:33 ]

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-05 06:39 am   Permalink

Faz'

Nice job, man! Lots of cool visual elements in there. I would like to see more shots/info of your volcano warmer. Enjoy!

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 06:48 am   Permalink

A Tiki Marionette!!! I love that! and the drink warmer!!!

Cool ingenuity. Place looks great. Finding a name should be easy with the whole shipwreck theme.

I wonder how many home Tiki Bars are direct outgrowths of a woman moving out! Mine started out that way too!

I love your bar, it looks very comfortable.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 09:24 am   Permalink

I like how it has evolved. Allowing the Ivy to surround your bar looks great and gives it a natural flavor, like being one with nature. The lighting at night sets the mood. I need to capture that for my bar. If you make more changes, as we all do, please keep the pictures coming.

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-05 09:53 am   Permalink

Nice tiki bar. GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPops
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 12:12 pm   Permalink

Very simple, Very cool!!

View Profile of TikiPops Send a personal message to TikiPops  Email TikiPops     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 4:06 pm   Permalink

Bar looks great man! It looks like you've got an awesome layout to start with, which must have made the project that much more enticing. Now that you've found TC, I'm sure there'll be many, many additions in the future. Good luck!

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 11:50 pm   Permalink

Excellent! I love your necklace.

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-06 09:54 am   Permalink

Faz, with that necklace you could be the FlavorFlav of Tikidom

Welcome to TC, great looking space. Definite probable cause for a shipwreck inspired name: assorted flotsam & jetsam, recycled materials, jungle overgrowth. Hmm, I like that word "flotsam", maybe it would fit in a name?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 10:41 am   Permalink

Good God its amazing! You may have to buy the house in order to keep the bar intact.

Question: How did you anchor the poles into the wall? The ones that support the thatch roof?

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-07 3:35 pm   Permalink

Love the way it looks after dark. Instead of Brandy you should heat up a good tequila like Chinaco or Abondonado. Goes down smooth.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-09 10:20 pm   Permalink

this is awesome! Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Sharing the bar is the best part of having it!
I'm newly inspired, so more changes will be coming this summer. I'll have to work on my camera skills as well. the lighting in the bar at night is one of my favorite elements, but tricky to capture the mood on film.

Ashman, the drink volcano is made of carved 'Feather Rock'. that stone cuts like butter. i use either a dremel with a cutting wheel, or a drill with a rasp bit. its hollowed in the center and covers a can of cooking fuel. It took a few tries to cut the proper angle on the lip that holds the glass. too high and it doesn't work, too low and it overheats and breaks the glass. it works best by rolling the glass back and forth in the grooved wood to heat the glass more evenly.
We've cooked just about everything behind the bar. Rum, Tequila, Bourbon, Barenjager, Ouzo, whatever. it all seems a little better with a bit of heat. Really, though, the best is the Hangar One Absinthe. heat it up til it just starts to steam a bit, hold the glass 2 or 3 inches above your lips and pour about a half-ounce shot right onto your tongue. you wont even need to swallow, it just absorbs right into your body. as you may have guessed this should be and probably will be your final drink of the night! even if you have another drink, you won't be tasting it anyway!

JackLord, i really wanted those timbers to look like they were jutting out of the roof, so thank you for the question! The thatch roof hides the view of the 2x4 framing that is above the timbers. the two side beams are bolted to the posts, but the center one is bolted to a 2x4 above the thatch. the bolt is concealed with rope so the beam looks like it tied to something, but its hidden from view.
the thatch is just a 6' bamboo screen, but when you double those things up they hide a lot more and they create amazing shadows and tricks of light.

i was busy in the yard this weekend, started more than i finished, so more developments and pictures to follow....
-Faztiki---

View Profile of faztiki Send a personal message to faztiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation