FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Tiki Bar (i know, it needs a better name...)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
The Tiki Bar (i know, it needs a better name...)
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-11 6:52 pm   Permalink

Good looking bar, it looks like a fun place to hang out.

For the hammock, you might try blasting it with a pressure washer, it should get the flaky stuff out of the hard to reach areas. Of course you'll want to test it on a concealed area first. Then once it dries you could hit it with compressed air to blow more of the dust and flakes out.

Then stain it and spray on some polyurethane and it should look great!

I used the same reed fencing on the Narrow Escape, and after a couple of years of weather it's looking pretty ratty. It's fine where it doesn't get direct sun and rain but on top of the roof it's decaying quickly. Also, the paper wasps love to chew the fibers for their nests, and I'm pretty sure there are several nests in the rafters...yikes.

Custom Furniture and Cabinets

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu  Goto the website of bamboo stu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bahooka buck

Posted: 2010-10-12 09:08 am   Permalink

Nice !

View Profile of bahooka buck Send a personal message to bahooka buck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-18 11:06 pm   Permalink

Mele Kalikimaka!

View Profile of faztiki Send a personal message to faztiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-28 11:26 pm   Permalink

Hey TC'ers, thanks for the great feedback! Hope everyone has a happy new year.
I finally finished the overhead beams and thatch. i couldnt be happier with the results. it was tough to photograph. unfortunately the still pictures dont show how the 'chasing' light strands create a flickering effect as if the inside of the beams are on fire! i installed a controller for the lights that can adjust the rate of the flickering and the brightness, so the effect can be either very subtle or a flashy show or anywhere in between.

heres some night shots of the bar as well. the smoke effect is a lot of fun. the smoke pours out from behind both the middle and the upper shelves behind the bottles. half of the bar is covered under a solid roof so the smoke hangs overhead until it spills out above the barstools. theres a twirling laser light shining on the wall behind the bottles that gets a cool effect from the smoke as well.

I've got some repairs to do after a huge branch fell on top of the bar in a recent storm, but i guess i built the place well enough since its only some lighting that got knocked out. it could have been disastrous. I figured i owed the Tiki Gods for the good luck so i mixed some strong drinks and finally paid my dues to Tiki Central and became a grand member. i encourage everyone to donate before any bad luck pays a visit.
Here's to a great New Year!

View Profile of faztiki Send a personal message to faztiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-07 10:36 pm   Permalink

Is it really almost Summer? must be, we already had our Annual Tiki de Mayo party. worked until the last minute pre-party on some changes to the yard and the bar. took a while cleaning up afterwards, but finally shot a daytime video of the whole yard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jURMADAWtkE

more ideas brewing for this summer, and just got a whole load of rusty steel panels and weathered cedar palings. now what to do with those?

TikiReno
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-08 10:03 pm   Permalink

Dude - those red-lit beams are the sh!t - backstory please!

View Profile of TikiReno Send a personal message to TikiReno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigDaddyTiki

Posted: 2011-06-09 08:29 am   Permalink

Simply Awesome! Well done!

View Profile of BigDaddyTiki Send a personal message to BigDaddyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-10 9:44 pm   Permalink

who in their right mind would spend years building a tiki bar in a rental house? not me, i've never had a 'right mind'.
Until now... I just bought a house in the Santa Cruz mountains. so, it's time for the de-construction to begin!
I'm heading deep into the Redwood forest, and thinking a Sasquatch-themed-bar might fit better than palm trees, so the tiki bar is going into boxes for a while. I'd love it if some of the artifacts could carry on the good times, so if anyone in the SF or Monterrey Bay areas is interested in buying, trading, or just hauling away some of the goods just let me know. I'll get some recent pix of individual items posted as I disassemble ans decide what goes. I think i'll miss that giant bamboo hammock the most. that restored beautifully. I'll get pix up over the next few weeks. I'm out of the old house mid-january, so plenty of time to arrange pick-ups if anyone's interested. be well,

Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-11 10:15 am   Permalink

Seems a shame not to re-build... Such a nice space you have created. But congrats on your new home!

cheers

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-12 04:33 am   Permalink

The links to your pics above aren't showing...any chance you can repost some of the photos of your finished beams and hammock?

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2012-12-12 04:34 ]

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-12 6:39 pm   Permalink

Have a friend who needs a bar...pm me info and price if you can. THANX

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-27 10:27 pm   Permalink

i finally got around to taking some pictures of the two big items i'd love to sell. it would be a shame to put these up in the garage.
the table and chairs are awesome. the chairs actually fold up. 6 chairs, but two need minor repairs. the rest are in great shape. no idea how old this thing is. its sturdy though.

the hammock was a wreck when i got it, but cleaned up well. i re-tied the whole thing and its strong and comfortable. i sewed a custom cushion for it as well. it rides very low so you can swing for a few minutes easily with a little push.

if anyone in the Bay area is interested in these let me know. I've got about $100 into each of them, so would be happy to get that back.
i also have a bunch of dried thatch i can give to anyone who can pick it up.
the bar itself and the shelving are going with me.
but what to do with those lighted beams?? i have about 100 hours of work into those. i can't imagine they would fit anyone else's space perfectly, but with a bit of work they could be altered. to sell them it would include the light ropes and the controller. if anyone is really interested i could figure out a price. probably a few hundred. i really would love to see those posted in someone elses home bar pix someday. theres more pix of those in my earlier posts.

best wishes to everyone on tiki central. i'll keep my eyes here for inspiration no matter what my next home bar may become...

faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-27 10:30 pm   Permalink

heres a picture of the hammock.
fortunately i only have one of those tables to sell...

gold zephyr
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-28 9:18 pm   Permalink

Faz thanks for sharing all the new pics. You have some realy neat things all around, hammock especially. Keep enjoying

View Profile of gold zephyr Send a personal message to gold zephyr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation