FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Gallery » » PopTiki of Colorado - Gallery of Stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PopTiki of Colorado - Gallery of Stuff
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-23 07:40 am   Permalink

Poptiki of Colorado: Purveyer of Exotic Polynesian Pop Culture Provisions and Phenomena...Since 2005! Yep, I can say I knew'em waaay back when...

QUALITIKI is JOB #1!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 07:46 am   Permalink

Daayyum Pops,, You went and learnt how ta do this stuff,,, Respectably too!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-25 5:40 pm   Permalink

Flippin Rad Mugs .

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-25 08:37 am   Permalink

Many thanks for all of the kind words, it's nice to know that people like what you do.

Jonesy, you've always been our number one fan! We appreciate the support!

Ben, Thanks again for the hospitality and welcoming us into your workshop. We learned a lot and are privileged to have had the experience.

---

During our preparations for the Hukilau, and the debut of the P-14/P-14D Hei-Tiki mugs, we got to talking and I convinced Pop that since a Hei-Tiki is a pendant, and the inspiration for our mug came from the Maori jade carvings of neck ornaments, that we ought to tweak one of the mugs with some attachment points, so you can wear it around your neck. So Pop poured a mug, then hand bulit two small loops on either side of the head. Then, just to make it stand out, we picked a glaze we wouldn't normally use (keeping with our classic aesthetic), but caught our eye once at the local ceramic shop.

What resulted was this guy:

Close up of the glaze and the loops:

We also did a one-off in a clear glaze over the slightly off-white clay body, to give it more a bone look rather than the jade-ish green we did the run with. But he found a new home before I had an opportunity to get any decent pictures of him. But here's the one shot I do have:

But, things are settling down a bit, so it's time to get back to the studio and hopefully we'll have more stuff to share soon.

Thanks for looking!

-Helz

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-25 09:08 am   Permalink

oh yeah. i am the proud owner of a bright green mug just like him. glad i could finally get down your asile at hukilau.

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-25 10:35 am   Permalink

You make some amazing work! Will you have a table at Tiki Oasis this year?

Zero

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-04 2:28 pm   Permalink

Now that it's fall and all of the events and activities of the summer are through, we're headed back into the studio to start work on our 2011 stuff. Of course, the first thing you do is do a bit of house cleaning, so we've got a few one off pieces that we did that have been sitting around that we thought we'd show you guys:

The first one is a Glaze Test we did when we first started doing the Hei-Tiki. The eyes are a metallic glaze that gives a pretty cool effect.

We weren't enamored with the opaque color of the green so we ended up going with something else, but it's still a very nice look:

In addition, we tried a new method of glazing/firing our Tiki Surf Club mug that gives it a much more weathered/antiqued look that we really like a lot, so we'll be doing them like this going forward.

[

We also did a couple "Designer's Editions" of our P-3 Tiki Bub mug. This first one uses a glaze that has the appearance of motor oil, so we called him Oily Bub:

As you can see here, the P-3DE Oily Bub is larger than the P-7 Little Bub, and you can also see the difference in the glaze between the oily one and the standard glaze we use.

The other Designer's Edition we did uses a glaze that gives the impression of old cast iron, so naturally we called it Iron Bub:

and Finally, though not Tiki (yet), we did these mugs that my wife designed for our booth at the Denver Modernism Show, to go along with the Modernist Aesthetic of the show. Coming up, we're going to use this design as the base for several new mugs, including our version of a fogcutter.

So, now we're back to the sketching and sculpting, and looking forward to getting all messy with some new stuff for next year.

Mahalo for looking!

- Helz

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WOLVER

Posted: 2010-11-06 12:33 pm   Permalink

great work i love your mugs

[ This Message was edited by: WOLVER 2010-11-06 12:42 ]

View Profile of WOLVER Send a personal message to WOLVER  Email WOLVER Goto the website of WOLVER     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Baļ
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-10 01:10 am   Permalink

I really like your Hei tiki.. very nice color glaze.

View Profile of Tiki Baļ Send a personal message to Tiki Baļ  Goto the website of Tiki Baļ     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-25 5:19 pm   Permalink

Do you have a physical studio that's open to the public? I'm in the Boulder area, and it might be fun to take a road trip.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2010-11-25 17:19 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-14 3:34 pm   Permalink

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this but your PopTiki logo totally reminds me of Deadpool from Marvel comics.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-18 8:24 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to say I love all your stuff, specifically the volcano mug and bowl and the modernist mugs. Most of all I like the fact that something is thriving in Colorado with tiki.

gabbahey

[ This Message was edited by: gabbahey 2011-02-18 20:27 ]

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-18 10:24 pm   Permalink

Awesome as usual!
Love the glazes on some of these...
your quest for perfection is duly noted!
What a great batch of creativity!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-25 12:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks again, all for the kind words. We have a great time making stuff, and when people like what you do, it's even better.

TikiTacky,

We do have a studio, but it's in the garage. We have days when folks drop by and hang out, and we'll let ya know!

Pocky,

I can see the resemblance. The logo was actually derived from a PNG Orator's Chair that is in the Oceania section of the Denver Art Museum (keepin' it local!). I don't want to post a pic of it here, as this is the gallery, but there's a pic of it on our website.

gabbahey,

Yep, there definitely a nice little Tiki scene going on here in Denver, next time you're heading this way let us know!

LLT,

Mahalo! It is a true compliment coming from such a great artist as yourself.

We've been out in the studio quite a bit the past few months working on our stuff for 2011. We're pretty excited to get a few finished up so we can show you guys!

Thanks!

Helz

poptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-03 05:08 am   Permalink

OK, finally getting back here to post an update'

I guess the first would be the event mug for the CATT event,Chicago Area Tiki Tour.
Here's the Event mug

We also did two mugs for their raffle.
The first was based on our "Tourist Mug" style of glazing.

The second was our homage to the Luau 400, we called it the "Luau CATT"

We also did a "Special Request" version of the mug.

Another Ku style was next.

Then we finally got our version of a Marquesas style mug finished.

The next one we had hanging around for a long time was our Tangaroa style. We did a large handled version.

We've also done a very few large ones without a handle. I stuck the can in the pic for scale.

Our regular "Tang Head" version.

Somewhere along the way I tried another glaze on our bamboo mugs and really like what we got.

I about forgot. We did our Moai in orange for our friends at Zen Tiki Lounge. He ended up being named "Big Richard", so here he is.

We also did it in a mod blue for Kelly at Velveteen Lounge Kitsch-en.

While we're talking about our Moai there was one more different guy we tried.

Thanks to Squid, who gave the Kahanui chapter of the FOM permission to use his "Snowy Moai" artwork as their logo, what resulted was their "Snowy Moai" chapter mug. It's done in their chapter orange.

One of our newest pieces is our "Hei Tiki Head"

This was done with a face on both the front and back of the mug.

The tongue and teeth are glaze as well as the rest of the mug except for the eyes. To simulate the sealing wax which was originally used we pour the eyes in resin as the last step in the making of this mug.

The very latest piece we are just starting to get out is our version of a New Caledonia post carving. This one was on the shelf a long time too, but we are finally getting them going. They will all be different and this first one has shades of PMP on it.

This bowl also has a face on both the front and back.

One last family photo. I wanted to finally put a complete set of our "tourist mugs" together for a group photo so I've include that.

This is all for now, thank you.

[ This Message was edited by: poptiki 2012-05-03 14:46 ]

View Profile of poptiki Send a personal message to poptiki  Goto the website of poptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation