FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events MariePalooza, a Tiki Band Aid-( Results Pg. 18) Official Event Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
MariePalooza, a Tiki Band Aid-( Results Pg. 18) Official Event Thread
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 8:31 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2010-06-01 20:22, Joe Banks wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-06-01 20:17, lucas vigor wrote:
(and as USUAL, no Smokin' Menehunes)

It's coming, it's coming....

Man, that would be SWEET! (And very much appreciated!)

And I hope someone caught Exotiki on film! Watching kevin Stewart (Dartin Menny) play the bass is like watching a master painter at work. Every note is fat and delicious, and goddamn groovy!

Oh, and they had Skip Heller on guitar!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 10:07 pm   Permalink

Here ya go....

http://www.youtube.com/user/MagickFilms

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kitty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 10:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-01 14:53, lucas vigor wrote:

Thank you, Tiki Kitty, for some Smokin' Menehunes LOVE!! (I thought we played a pretty darn good set!)

Mick - you guys are always a highlight for us, so the pleasure was ours. Wish I could have taken some video too, but I didn't have enough room on my memory card. As it was, I was hastily deleting old pics to make room for more that day. I just saw the video Scott posted. Good stuff!

View Profile of Tiki Kitty Send a personal message to Tiki Kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 12:03 am   Permalink

The Smokin Menehunes are great.
I love old school Hawaiian music , as well as Exotica, and surf.
Good Music is good music, I wish more people would come see the Menehunes on Fridays at the Fish Kitchen.
(once a month)
and every 3 months or so at Busters Beach House in Los Alamitos Harbor.

as for the thanks to me for helping,
thank you, but it was really nothing.
Chris asked me to line up some bands, and be the stage manager for the 2 bar rooms.
cake walk, and right up my alley,
Not hard at all, and my pleasure to help out in a way that I could.

Chris and Karen and the other volunteers did much more than I did.

Thanks again to all who came, donated and helped put this together.
Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 01:11 am   Permalink

Did anybody check Crazy Al's ticket?

Just Sayin'...

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surf fink
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-02 07:46 am   Permalink

The best thing for me on Sunday, was the four surf bands. The show just got better every time a new one came on stage. Great show, Thank you Thank you Jeff

View Profile of surf fink Send a personal message to surf fink      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 09:52 am   Permalink

That Menehunes video is killer. Bonger, just owning it on the steel guitar!

I'm bummed that The Hula Girls couldn't be there for the benefit. Looks super fun from the pictures... I was busy getting waves and getting drunk in Mazatlan... Still recovering from it. BUT we'll see you all in Palm Springs on Friday!!

If they put together a round two benefit for Marie, I would love to play on it!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Skinny Dog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 11:51 am   Permalink

So I was totally remiss in not thanking Jeff for the absolutely awesome lineup and coordination of bands. Seriously, it was crazy. Jeff, you should quit your day job and put together shows.

Jen

View Profile of Skinny Dog Send a personal message to Skinny Dog  Email Skinny Dog Goto the website of Skinny Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 5:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-01 22:07, Joe Banks wrote:

Here ya go....

http://www.youtube.com/user/MagickFilms

That's fantastic! The Smokin' Menehunes circa 1972 (from a tourist's vacation in Waikiki Beach's captured on super 8 film!)

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2010-06-02 17:56 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe's Pop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 6:28 pm   Permalink

Just read on Facebook that Don's said they've raised over $12,000 so far! Fantastic. Looked like a hugely successful benefit & congrats to everyone involved. Hope your days get better & better all the time, Marie~ Yous two, JonPaul.
Andy

View Profile of Tiki Joe's Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Joe's Pop  Goto the website of Tiki Joe's Pop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GlasgowTikiShakers
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-02 10:36 pm   Permalink

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that came out to organize, volunteer and support Mariepalooza -- you're the best!!! We had a blast!

Marie, Marie feel better and we'll see you soon!

View Profile of GlasgowTikiShakers Send a personal message to GlasgowTikiShakers  Email GlasgowTikiShakers     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tai Won On
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 05:17 am   Permalink

It's all been said so many times in this thread but I simply must add my thanks to Chris, Karen, Big Tiki Dude, and Don's and all the artist that donated their work.
It was one of the best events I've ever been to. So many wonderful people in one place, for such a great cause....good times. Being a huge fan, I've come to EXPECT Tikiyaki to be AMAZING, and yet I'm always AMAZED that they are better than I EXPECTED. I can't say enough good things, so I'll leave it at that.

All the bands kicked ass, (I can't wait to see Slacktone at Forbidden Island next week) but Glasgow Tiki Shakers??? I had never seen them before, but they quickly became one of my favorites.

I left there feeling guilty for winning so many outstanding raffle prizes.

Last, but not least, Thank you to Jon Paul. He graciously gave the update on Marie at least a thousand times and never seemed bothered by people asking. Hats off to you sir.

So, same time next month?

View Profile of Tai Won On Send a personal message to Tai Won On  Email Tai Won On     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-03 8:17 pm   Permalink

We had a great time thanks to all involved. Not just 8 bands... but 8 very good bands. The Boardwalkers early set was awesome. One would think that Jon Paul would have been wiped out after that energetic set, but he had plenty left for Tikiyaki later. Thanks to BTD for getting my request of "Avalon Slip" to Slacktone, an exotically beautiful song that they usually don't play live (too slow).....Dusty rocked on drums. Smokin Menehunes and Exotiki in the bar...excellent. Glasgow Tiki Shakers and Tikiyaki Orchestra in the big room were as good and consistant as ever. I hope the raffle winners of the stuff we brought (Don The Beachcomber, Rincon Room, TikiTony, Kahiki) are happy. Love you Marie.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-04 08:57 am   Permalink

Results are 1/2 in!!!! I am still waiting on a few checks to clear and a few donors are still sending $$, but I know people are waiting to know how much we raised for Marie.....Well........

OVER $13,600!!!!! And that DOES NOT include the portion of the proceeds that Don the Beachcomber will be donating!!!

We still have a few event posters. I will be getting those out next week...I have to get the tubes for mailing and figure that into the shipping and handling...It won't be much, but I don't want to ruin any posters!

THANK YOU AGAIN TO ALL THE MUSICIANS, ARTISTS, VOLUNTEERS, DON'S, and YOU, the SUPPORTERS AND FRIENDS OF MARIE!!!
(I will list as many names of the donors as possible soon!)

Mahalo!!!
SoccerTiki

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-04 09:02 am   Permalink

Awesome news Chris! Cant wait to hear the final tally.
Great job everybody! Get Well Marie!!!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation