FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Bali Hai, Massillon, OH (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Bali Hai, Massillon, OH (restaurant)
Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-07 7:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks Pablus, your story was a great inspiration. I stopped at the hideaway tonight after work and the owner said the "Totem Poles" were ruined in the fire 2 years ago, they threw them away. He was blunt and not very friendly.

I did talk to the owners son and he is digging for me

Who knows, but I will definitely send you the stuff after I document it, I have no need or space to save anything.
Your home would be the logical place!

View Profile of Bali O Hai O Send a personal message to Bali O Hai O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-08 05:02 am   Permalink

Great post Bali O Hai O. Here is a link to a thread that has some helpful tips from the folks here on TC on doing some research. Keep up the good work.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32087&forum=1

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-08 06:29 am   Permalink

So, Bali O Hai O, did you know my uncle?

I never saw him mix a drink. He had already retired to working in a candy shop and making milk shakes (awesome ones) by the time I actually hung out with him. My taste for rum hadn't been fully awakened until the late 90s and by that time, he was already gone.

I still see his wife every Sunday at church and I'll make sure to tell her about this thread.

There is still some stuff in the basement of the Hideaway. You should go there when the owner isn't there and ask a bartender or waitress to go down there and check it out.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-10 8:44 pm   Permalink

My curiosity got me and I went to the Auction preview today at the old Bali Hai Restaurant. As you can see in the photos the inside has not changed much, the architectural details of a Polynesian club are still there, some of the original fake tropical plants are still in the basement and there are lots of small details that were chilling to see and touch. The auction employee gave me free run to explore all I wanted, I spent nearly 2 hours searching. I found nothing to bring home, sorry to report that all is gone, well at least from where I looked. The owner was there and said there might be some stuff up front in the utility rooms or in the attic crawl space, and when the auction is done he gave me permission to do further searching after everything is cleared out.

Thank you member ***** and hope you enjoy your treasure, I wish it was better stuff, but heck what did I know it looked authentic, thanks for clearing that up for the both of us.

Still searching!

[ This Message was edited by: Bali O Hai O 2010-05-11 21:09 ]

View Profile of Bali O Hai O Send a personal message to Bali O Hai O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-10 8:51 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Bali O Hai O 2010-05-10 20:54 ]

Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-11 9:11 pm   Permalink

A photo for Pablus

Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-12 07:42 am   Permalink

Pablus, I think I knew of your Uncle but didn't know him well other than to say hello. The Ice cream place he worked at later was Heggy's Nut Shop and we all hung out there. He was a good ol guy and I always wondered what happened to him. He had a nickname but I forgot it over the years.

Thanks again for all your input. It seems you are the only other person who remembers the old place.

MITCH

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 12:27 pm   Permalink

Most everyone called him Sarge.

Thanks for the photo of the Hideaway. That place cracks me up.
It's one of my favorite dives.

My favorite though is in Wooster - Main Street Grille. Barstools made of copper hammered over oak posts that are over 100 years old.

I gotta get back there this year. Maybe we can hook up and have a Krause's Pizza.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-08 2:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-11 21:11, Bali O Hai O wrote:
A photo for Pablus

Has anyone ever follwed up on 'WITCO' in the basement of this place?

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-13 3:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-08 14:30, TIKI DAVID wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-05-11 21:11, Bali O Hai O wrote:
A photo for Pablus

Has anyone ever follwed up on 'WITCO' in the basement of this place?

THATS OK ....I DID...
BILL, the owner was a real nice guy.
" you want that stuff?....you can have it.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-13 3:34 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-07-13 15:35 ]

Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-25 10:13 pm   Permalink

Just got some Photos from a friend who talked with the children of the former owners.

This is just a sample of what he found from the Bali Hai in Massillon Ohio.

I'm sure glad this is finally being preserved on here for all to see.

Thank you to the Family for digging up this history!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-26 12:17 am   Permalink

Aaaah, found it, very good! Great to see you successful after such long wait!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-26 05:29 am   Permalink

I guess it's true, good things do come to those who wait.

I'm sure we will get info on the mugs from someone here, I didn't see any markings on them as to year or manufacturer.

[ This Message was edited by: Bali O Hai O 2010-07-26 05:37 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-26 10:26 am   Permalink

Bali O Hai O,

Awesome find on the historical artifacts! I love that color rendering of the building, what is that from? A postcard?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation