FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Orange County mini-crawl
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Orange County mini-crawl
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-30 09:55 am   Permalink

Hey Ben, that parking lot offer is a good one. Some people may come from LA and may need to sleep or chill a bit before getting on the road.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-30 10:21 am   Permalink

Ben, it's time for a head count. It should not be problem to fill the coach if Tiki Centralites bring like-minded friends, but you need commitments.
And the route is not easy to figure out, either, Suicide Sam had these problems with HIS Tiki crawl: Sam's Seafood closes kind of early (was it 10:00 p.m.?), and as we know the Royal Hawaiian is packed on the weekends, (so maybe we should get there LATE ?) And where else do we go? Bahooka's is too far... There needs to be a third destination, otherwise, going between two bars, you don't need a bus...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-30 10:36 am   Permalink

How bout a head count for those who are in for sure. Post it and I'll call around tomorrow for the rates and post what I come up with. We need King Kuku for entertainment on the bus. Maybe C'Al can go and carve along the way. Sven do you have a portable slide projector? Bong? The waves arn't that good........chime in.
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-Sunset(ish)
Sun. 11-4ish
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-30 12:27 pm   Permalink

Suggested stops:

Harpoon Harry's in Huntington Beach... just blocks from Sam's Seafood... if you've never been there, its a real treat! old nautical themed restaurant/bar thats decorated like an old sunken ship, really cool and popular place! Not overly familiar with the bar menu, but highly recommended for atmosphere alone!

There's another cool restaurant directly across the street from Sam's.... for some reason, can't recall the name, but has been adorned with Tikis and shipwreck at it entrance for quite a while.

Not exactly Tiki or Polynesian, but over-the-top kitsch none-the-less: Li's Chinese Restaurant in Huntington Beach. Its a really, really gawdy 60s chinese restaurant with a cocktail lounge that features a tropical drink menu, including scorpions served in giant clam shells. Its off Magnolia/Adams, and would be an easy stop between Sam's and Royal Hawaiian.....

There's a great place for those post-crawl munchies: Harbor House Cafe back in Huntington Beach.... place is very popular, huge menu, open 24 hrs, been there since the 30s, and really cool decor (old movie posters, signs, and those old punch card games from 30s & 40s are everywhere). This place is also just blocks from Sam's on PCH (assuming thats about the area where we'd park for the crawl)

just a suggestion, due to OC's lack of Tiki Temples......

visit Traderpup.com

[ This Message was edited by: Traderpup on 2002-06-30 12:45 ]

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-30 2:18 pm   Permalink

Shelley and I are in.
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-30 2:52 pm   Permalink

Those are all great suggestions, Trader Pup.
Li's Chinese sounds especially interesting, even if not Tiki, it's Exotica.

Is this going to be a "Non Smoking" bus ride? Otherwise we could book some firedancers throug "Adventures In Polynesia", because, as I just found out:
"...IMPORTANT A.I.P. ADVANTAGE: Fire and knife stunt performers come to your event or set already insured."
No cigarette lighters needed! I love LA.

I am currently trying to find the link to the info for the big July 27th Luau they are involved in at the "Hollywood Castle"? Will post it once I got it...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-06-30 14:57 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-06-30 7:39 pm   Permalink

The place across from Sam's Seafood is Taco Surf. It's a little place kind of similar to Sharky's in Manhattan Beach. Mexican food and mediocre drinks. I ordered a Mai Tai there once and got something that was more like a tequila sunrise with rum.

As far as me, I'd love to go and will try, but can't commit to the 12th. I have a bunch of stuff going on that weekend and earlier in the day on Friday. I don't know when I can get to Orange county. If it were on the weekend of the 27th, that I could commit to.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-06-30 9:10 pm   Permalink

Hey All!

This week (Monday July 1) let's start getting up a hard list of those going together. As far as a meeting place, we could meet at my tiki bar, I'm only 1 block from Li's (Newland/Garfield), or we could meet at Ben's place - doesn't matter (2 blocks from Li's). I'm in for renting the bus. Ben, can you get some good data on such logistics. 7 hours of service should be more that enough. I think there is a certain level of trust amoung the tiki brethren so a moderate level of credit may be able to be extended.

Stay tuned for details!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-30 9:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha to all going... I think Sven will trip out on Li's. I still wish they had that big wheel on the ceiling with all the chineese zodiac signs but I think the carnival ride vynil seats with gold fleck will do him fine. And, they are always so happy to see you. it's a good vibe. Lot's of drunks hang at the bar. Should be interesting at least for 2 drinks.
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Sun. 11-4ish

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-30 10:04 pm   Permalink

I think it would be a good idea to meet at Ben's.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-01 08:04 am   Permalink

I think it's a safe bet to meet there for you out of the area's (and in the area's too). One to many can be a nightmare compared to a few hours of car sleep and Pch from Sams to the Royal is Dui city. There is a cheap motel also across the street from the store. I'll get info on that too. So how bout, Bens, Sams, the Loft (for some kine grind)Tiki_bongs, Li's, the Royal Hwaiian,Bens and car sleep. And, whatever happens in between due to popular vote on the way. There is also Busters (old Jolly Roger just north of Sams based on a mytholigcal surfer, but lots of bamboo and thatch and stuff. (They even have a signed print of/from Bamboo Ben on the wall,LOL)Lahaian Grill in Seal Beach, Aloha Grill on main in H.B.and Dukes at the pier has lots of bamboo, thatch and koa (the koa is worth more than the building itself!! It's like 8k a ft. nowdays!! and a cool little bamboo bar in the patio that Corky carroll plays happy hours at on wed. and Sats.) L&L Hawaiian BBQ in the Marukai grocery store in Costa Mesa(nice bamboo treatment there too and they will be doing some foods for the "Gathering of the tribes grand opening party we said we would have but never did" coming up this Aug. on a Sunday from 12-sunset)(Marukai has good cheap Japanese Hawaiian foods and stuff)And I'm sure there are a million others in between.So, it's basicaly the original Tiki_Bong OC mini crawl but with a driver and no Dui's correct?
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Sun. 11-4ish

Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-01 08:25 am   Permalink

I'd suggest making Sam's one of the last stops.... they are open 'til 1am, where everything else closes by 11pm at the latest. Unless you all want to be home and in bed before midnight....!

visit Traderpup.com

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-01 11:11 pm   Permalink

Latest re-search for Bongs O.C. mini crawl.
The cheapest bus I found goes for 49.00 an hour with a 5 hr. min., 29 person capacity and 100.00 deposit if there is drinking on the bus.(I guess if we puke or spill, but I'll pack p-towells, bags and cleaning supplies so you's can clean up after me!!)
I called the spot's on the list and asked when the bars close on Friday the 12th and here is what I got;
Sams- 11:00p.m.
Royal Hawaiin- 10:30p.m.
Li's 10-10:30p.m.
Bamboo Bens- untill the cops come.
Bongs-will post tomorrow.
There's also another place on the way back from Sams called King Neptunes which I think Sven would dig (hole in the wall with lots of german mafia ties & memorabilia). Across the street from Kozmos where C'Al's Ape and the Blue Hawaiians are playing on the 19th. Anyway, that's what I have for now. Bong or I will post tomorrow as soon as I talk with him.

712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Sun. 11-4ish

Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-02 11:29 am   Permalink

I just chatted with the folks at Sam's... very nice people there. Seems they are open 'til 1am on Saturdays only now. Used to on Fridays, but they said they just don't get the draw to stay open any later than 11pm....

<sigh....>

visit Traderpup.com

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-02 6:23 pm   Permalink

Wellll....would that convince all to move the tour to Saturday? Not that Sam's is sooooo great, but where else to go late? From Ben's research there seems to be a serious problem to find any joint that is open later than 10:00/11:00 p.m. on Friday. That means we would start the tour at 5:00 p.m.????
Please post who would do Saturday also, and who would have probs with that...

Ben, I liked King Neptunes better before it got renovated. It had the dust of W.W.II on it. Now they painted it and did kind of a botch job, keeping some of the collections and tossing others...the button (ladies) and matchbook (men) wallpapered restrooms are still there, right?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation