FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Rusty Cage- Voodoo Lounge, Calgary, AB., Canada (bar)
Rusty Cage- Voodoo Lounge, Calgary, AB., Canada (bar)
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-08 7:31 pm   Permalink

Name:Rusty Cage- Voodoo Lounge
Type:bar
Street:720 16 Avenue NW
City:Calgary, AB.
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The Voodoo Lounge is in the basement of what, I believe, is the 3rd location of a local Calgary bar franchise called the Rusty Cage. The bar's reputation led me to expect little more than a meat-market setting (and predictably, the upstairs definitely looks contemporary, trendy and wholly unimaginative)...but I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of detail they extolled on the \"tiki bar basement\". My best guess is it's about 3000 square feet or so.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-08 7:51 pm   Permalink

Now don't get me wrong, there's detail and then there's DETAIL. This is no Frankie's Tiki Room or Kon Tiki Tuscon...there's a ton of room for improvement. I would've loved to see some floats and pufferfish lamps, tiki mugs, etc, etc.

I dragged my friend TomB (check out his work in yr Tiki Art Now book on pg. 13) along on a quiet Sunday evening and the basement seemed to be mostly closed...or at least 90% of the lights were off. There was, however, a few lights on near the pool table, and there was the lovely ambiance of a Simpsons' episode on one of the many big screen TV's. We drank Molson Canadian's and ate chicken wings. I didn't get the vibe that they had masterfully mixed tiki cocktails.

Even though the room was mostly underlit, that didn't stop me from taking some snaps:

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-08 11:11 pm   Permalink

I won't be making a special trip. (The Kanaloa Lounge is another story).

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 2:38 pm   Permalink

Well, since I make the trip to Calgary every month anyway, I might have to check it out. Of course, I still haven't been to the Bamboo Room. One thing at a time. I'd say the Kanaloa Lounge would definitely be worth making a special trip!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation