[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food martini time
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
martini time
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-05 1:12 pm   Permalink

I finally made a martini for myself that I actually enjoyed. My very dry recipe: 1 jigger sapphire gin, 2 drops angostura bitters and 1/8 shot extra dry vermouth, put in shaker w/ ice and shake.
Garnish with 2 Manzenetta olives.
Any other martini recipes out there people tried and liked?

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-05-05 1:39 pm   Permalink

I like my martinis with original Bombay gin, a dash to 1/4 oz. of Noilly Prat vermouth (I like mine somewhere between a 1 to 5 and a 1 to 7 ratio of vermouth to gin), a lemon twisted over the drink but not dropped in, and an olive. Sometimes I add a few drops of orange bitters. I stir gently for a long time with cracked ice so it gets nice and cold with some dilution. I do not freeze my gin because I find it does not cause the ice to melt enough. I prefer making a pitcherful at a time so I can share it with a special someone while listening to a George Shearing LP.

I don't like vodka martinis because they have no flavor. I dislike shaken martinis because I hate having little specks of ice floating in my cocktail. The only thing worse than a shaken martini is a shaken Manhattan full of foam that won't go away.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299

Posted: 2003-05-09 4:00 pm   Permalink

Boodles and Bombay are both good gins.
I liked a fruity twist of Absolut Mandarin (oddly, tastier than Domaine Charbay orange, which uses real fruit) with a touch of Cointreu (or triple sec).
Also, for extra special treatment, you can infuse your own gins or vodkas. A lime or lemon-infused gin is a nice base. (Cut up a bunch of fruit, throw it in a pitcher, pour alcohol over it, let it sit for 2 weeks, strain fruit out with cheesecloth). Making a cantaloupe and watermelon infused vodka, icing it down and putting in a martini glass is nirvana. First discovered that blend in Quark's bar in LV Hilton (yes, I'm a trekkie; it's been established). sadly, they don't have infused alcohols anymore...
pineapple infused rum is good too!

Jen Infusion

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-10 11:53 am   Permalink

I have a martini recipe on my site I like a lot. here

Mocha Martini

2 1/2 ounces of Vodka
1/2 ounce of Coffee Liqueur
1 ounce of Creme de Cacao
Mix all ingredients in ice filled shaker and strain into Martini glass. It's easiest to triple this recipe. 5 jiggers Vodka, 1 jigger Coffee Liqueur, 2 jiggers Creme de Cacao.

As is the case with most drink recipes, it is easier to double or triple them. If it calls for 1/2 ounce of anything, triple it and then you can use your jigger for it, and then that 1 ounce of whatever is just 2 of the big side, etc.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-10 8:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-09 16:00, dangergirl299 wrote:
Boodles and Bombay are both good gins.

Hendricks is another good gin. Has anyone in tha Bay Area tried Sarticious gin that's made in Alameda? I haven't found it at a bar yet.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-10 8:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-10 11:53, Swanky wrote:
I have a martini recipe on my site I like a lot. here

Mocha Martini

2 1/2 ounces of Vodka
1/2 ounce of Coffee Liqueur
1 ounce of Creme de Cacao
Mix all ingredients in ice filled shaker and strain into Martini glass. It's easiest to triple this recipe. 5 jiggers Vodka, 1 jigger Coffee Liqueur, 2 jiggers Creme de Cacao.

With all due respect that's not a martini. A martini is gin and vermouth. A vodka martini is vodka and vermouth. Additions like orange bitters, olives, or lemon twists don't change the fact that it's a martini. But by your definition everything in a cocktail glass is a martini.

I'm not trying to pick a fight but I have a pet peeve about calling all cocktails martinis.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-11 09:39 am   Permalink

No offense taken Jab. I am one of those people that gets angry when I order a Martini and they say "Gin or Vodka?" I said Martini!

But, that recipe is called what it is. I didn't name it. I do think the glass names a lot of drinks. If it's served 'up' in a Martini glass, it gets called one.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky on 2003-05-11 09:40 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-11 10:41 am   Permalink

>> Mocha Martini

>> 2 1/2 ounces of Vodka
>> 1/2 ounce of Coffee Liqueur
>> 1 ounce of Creme de Cacao

Some odd synchronicity here. Yesterday I made for the first time a drink called a 'Alexander the Great,' which has pretty much the same ingredients

- 2 shots Ketel One vodka
- 1 shot Kahlua coffee liquor
- 1 shot Bolswhite creme de cacao
- 1 shot Single cream

This recipe is from Sauceguide's Cocktails guide, I've started at page one and am working my way through many of the recipes - well, at least those I have the ingredients for.

Sauceguide's is great -- color pictures of every drink, and it is in a magazine format - over 1100 recipes. One of the bartenders at Emryville's Trader Vic's recommended it to me on a visit I made there last year.

'Martini' used to refer to a specific drink, which was served in what was called a 'cocktail' glass. Lately, more and more people are referring to the 'cocktail' glass as a 'martini' glass, and thus also calling anything served in the glass a martini.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki J

Posted: 2003-05-14 12:59 am   Permalink

I was going to say that I like dirty Vodka Martinis, but after reading... well... I think I'll just say that Dirty Tony's makes a damn fine olive juice if it's olives you like in your dirty V*dk@ martinis!

View Profile of Tiki J Send a personal message to Tiki J      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-14 08:44 am   Permalink

In my heart I believe that a Martini is made with gin. But my head knows that English is a steam roller of a language and it'll squash the meaning out of many words before the sun sets on today. Good for it. Personally I loathe the suffix "tini", yet I'll use it for a jokey drink name and because it easilly explains that drink to a guest: If it ends in "tini" they know it's a cold, strained drink served in a Martini glass.

Yes, I hate having to say "gin Martini" when ordering at a bar. But I smile and say it anyway and wonder if all Martinis come with ice chips in them...

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7685&forum=6&16

After much Martini recipe testing (fondly remembered) I found I like a Martini with a little more vermouth that everyone else in the world seems to want.* So far the gin of my dreams has been Greenalls. Unfortunately the Washington State booze stores stopped carrying it a year or so ago. (And they had a clearance sale that I missed!) Now I have to wait until I journey out of state in hopes of finding it.

*I saw an ad in a 60's magazine for "Martini Stones", a small jar of olive pit sized ceramic "stones". One was supposed to fill the jar with vermouth and the porous ceramic of the "stones" would absorb the vermouth. Drop one in your Martini and it'd supposedly release just the right amount of vermouth for the perfect dry Martini.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-14 5:07 pm   Permalink

"There are even stranger versions of the Martini. Dashiell Hammett, who goes in for mystery anyway, has his mixed with vodka..."

The Bartenders Book (1951)

What I find interesting is how the Martini keeps getting drier and drier. My Sister-in-Law puts her vermouth in an atomizers and mists the glass. Personally, I would rather do shots at that point. Some of the early versions being 2:1 Gin to Vermouth, with the "Sweet Martini" being 1:1:1 Gin, French and Italian vermouth. the latter is an interesting drink but one I think works better with (dare I say it?) Vodka.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Put away your bottles, my babies. Leave the Martini to your wives and sweethearts and take up the drink that's the real test of survival, THE FRENCH 75:

2 oz. dry gin
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
juice of half lemon
champagne

Shake well with ice. Strain into tall glass which ice cubes have been placed. Top with champagne. Have Dr. Z's hangover remedy close at hand.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 08:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-10 20:32, thejab wrote:
[
Hendricks is another good gin.

Indeed! Quite unusual & a nice bottle too.
I also have a lot of time for Tanqueray and Plymouth gins. Plymouth is available in a special Navy strength (57% alcohol) too, if you are lucky enough to find it.

Trader Woody

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-02-17 08:44 ]

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-02-17 11:57 am   Permalink

I think it's great that more and more gins are coming out lately. The high-end vodka trend is starting to move into gins. I only hope that we aren't inundated with flavorless gins that are targeted towards vodka drinkers.

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 3:05 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 3:11 pm   Permalink

J$, I keep clicking on the martini & I'm not getting $50, what should I do next?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation