FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » martini time
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
martini time
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 1:47 pm   Permalink

Okay, to take this discussion to the next level, let's discuss the best hors' deurves to have with a martini. I prefer oysters on the half shell, shrimp cocktail (with a horseradish loaded cocktail sauce), stone crab claws, or just about anything else from the raw bar.

Thoughts?

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 4:01 pm   Permalink

I think the best things that go with an ice-cold martini are hors' deurves that are salty and crunchy and conversation that is sparkling.

Seafood, I think, goes best with a crisp beer. I think I could live on lobster and fresh french bread and ice-cold beer for the rest of my life.

And oh, enjoyed myself very much on that James Bond drinking website. Here's my favorite part:

During his first morning in Jamaica, Bond asks Quarrel if he’s had breakfast. The Cayman Islander replies he’s had “Salt fish an’ ackee an’ a tot of rum.” When 007 remarks that’s “tough stuff to start the day on,” Quarrel replies, “Mos’ refreshin’.”

And oh, I think the wonderful book Atomic Cocktails has the best martini recipe. Make it with gin, of course, but here's how one handles the vermouth: fill a saucer with vermouth, then pierce two olives with a toothpick and gently roll the olives in the vermouth-filled saucer. Then place in drink.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 12:33 am   Permalink

Some of my favorite exotic martini recipes...

Pondering God Martini
4 ounces Genievre Gin
1 ounce French Chablis
Pour into iced Mixer
Rinse Glass in Kirsch
Add Olive stuffed with Black Truffles

The Collaborator Martini
Dash of kirsch
2 ounces Genievre Gin
1 ounce of dry Rhine Wine
Olive stuffed with Sweetbreads or German Sausage

The Ovaltine Martini
Bombay Gin and Campari
whatever ratio you prefer
dash of Ovaltine

Oh Baby Martini
3 ounces Belgium Gin
1 drop Cherry Brandy
1 drop Framboise
Shake in Shaker

The martini Verboten
2 ounces Genievre Gin
1 ounce of Apple Cider Vinegar
Stir and serve as cold as possible with Olive

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 07:30 am   Permalink

Rum Numb I wouldn't know where to begin shopping...All I have is Apple Cider Vinegar and Gin.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 08:04 am   Permalink

i'm finding it harder and harder to order a martini at a restaurant or bar, as i hate to pay $10 for something that i make better myself for a lot less money

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 8:15 pm   Permalink

I know what you mean JD, I live in the San Fernando Valley, not even Los Angeles and Absolut Martinis are $10.50 each.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-01 08:10 am   Permalink

Last time I was in New York the 'tinis cost $20. And the only good thing about that was that I was in New York.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-03 06:06 am   Permalink

Yeah, them price for martinis has gotten ridiculous here in Manhattan, but some of the bars are very cool. The cool thing about living here, though is you have the time to search out the bargain places. There is a very cool place in the village called The Fat Black Pussycat that serves a decent $6 top shelf martini until 8 pm.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-18 6:24 pm   Permalink

lil story for ya.

the year was about 1984, i was about 13. i loved all the cocktail stuff in my parents' basement, which by that point was never used. i was particularly fascinated by the "mixing guide" slide rule, and had a random concept of what a jigger was.

one afternoon i decided i would use said discarded ephemera to concoct a drink ~ and for some reason, a clouded part of my brain told me that a "martini" was the apprpriate drink to make. i was pretty good about following the majority of the directions included on the mixing guide...

i found some gibley's gin and some martini & rossi in the liquor cabinet, and an old fashioned glass that had probably not been used for 15 years. i was fairly precise in measuring out the ingredients, excepting the olive, lemon, and orange bitters. of course, the instruction i ignored was "USE FINE ICE IN ALL DRINKS"

needless to say, when i tasted said concoction i was appropriately nauseated. i did not try to mix a martini again until 1996, after being inspired by the movie swingers and realizing that ice was an integral ingredient. and good gin. and good vermouth

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 8:37 pm   Permalink

Talk about good gin, I just made a few Royal Hawaiians from Beachbum Berry's grog Log. I made them with Tanqueray Ten, it came out so good.

PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-20 4:12 pm   Permalink

I love a good martini. It is one of my favorite things. I am a bit of a martini purist, though. Just because a drink is served up in a martini cocktail glass that does not make it a martini. A martini is gin (or vodka), vermouth and anolive or a twist. An onion makes it a gibson, not a martini. While I am not at all adverse to vodka martinis (Skye Vodka does make a wonderful vodka martini) I do prefer mine with gin. Plymouth, Sapphire or Hendrick's preferred. Recently I have really been getting into Hendricks. it make for a really spectacular martini. Add a little Noilly Pratt and shake it up nice so that it comes out nice a frosty. That's a martini!

Speaking of gin, I tried making the Saturn in the Taboo Table book. I didn't blend it, I just shook it with crushed ice. I really like the result. A new gin cocktail added to my preferred list.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-20 4:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-20 16:12, PiPhiRho wrote:
I love a good martini. It is one of my favorite things. I am a bit of a martini purist, though. Just because a drink is served up in a martini cocktail glass that does not make it a martini. A martini is gin (or vodka), vermouth and anolive or a twist. An onion makes it a gibson, not a martini. While I am not at all adverse to vodka martinis (Skye Vodka does make a wonderful vodka martini) I do prefer mine with gin. Plymouth, Sapphire or Hendrick's preferred. Recently I have really been getting into Hendricks. it make for a really spectacular martini. Add a little Noilly Pratt and shake it up nice so that it comes out nice a frosty. That's a martini!

Spoken like a true connoisseur! I'm with you all the way.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 4:47 pm   Permalink

"The proper union of gin and vermouth is a great and sudden glory; it is one of the happiest marriages on earth, and one of the shortest lived." -Bernard De Voto

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 5:51 pm   Permalink

The improper union of gin and vermouth can get you craaaaazy!

Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 08:29 am   Permalink

Ok so, here is my Pineapple martini recipe

1.5 oz. vodka
1.5 oz. DeKuyper Tropical Pineapple Schnapps
.5 oz. unsweetnd pineapple juice

combine in shaker with cracked ice and shake, pour into very chilled martiki class with pineable chuck garnish. You can use colored sugar to rim the glass if you like (red looks best).

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation