FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food martini time
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
martini time
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 20, 2002
Posts: 217
From: Kensington-on-Avondale
Posted: 2005-10-21 08:36 am   Permalink

Potato & anchovy popovers:

in a medium size bowl combine-
-1 cup mashed potatoes (instant works fine)
-1/2 onion, minced
-1 can anchovies
-white pepper to taste

Mix together and spoon into 2" pie crust rounds (use a cookie cutter and a couple of flat, frozen pie crusts), fold over and seal each round before putting into a preheated (450) oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

These are delicious and salty- perfect with a martini.


 
View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 29, 2003
Posts: 253
From: O.C., SoCal
Posted: 2006-05-30 4:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-20 16:12, PiPhiRho wrote:
Speaking of gin, I tried making the Saturn in the Taboo Table book. I didn't blend it, I just shook it with crushed ice. I really like the result. A new gin cocktail added to my preferred list.



Two great gin drinks are the Saturn from Taboo Table, page 87, and the Coconut Willie from Intoxica, page 29. Both are blender drinks with lots of ice, which is great for the summer as the ice takes on a snowy texture.

I use Rear Admiral Joseph's Original London Dry Gin from Trader Joe's, which is only $8 and works great.

The Saturn is the only lemon juice drink I've had so far that isn't tart. The lemon juice and gin complement each other very nicely, and you don't really taste the gin. I use John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum, which is also in the drink, and it has worked great in all the drinks I've made so far.

The Coconut Willie tastes of gin and coconut. This drink contains both Coconut Snow and Cream of Coconut. The Coconut Snow really adds another dimension to the drink.

Both drinks are clean and great for hot weather.


 
View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 2986
From: Tradewinds Apartments, Alameda, CA
Posted: 2006-05-30 4:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-30 16:08, TikiSan wrote:
The Saturn is the only lemon juice drink I've had so far that isn't tart. The lemon juice and gin complement each other very nicely, and you don't really taste the gin. I use John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum, which is also in the drink, and it has worked great in all the drinks I've made so far.

The Coconut Willie tastes of gin and coconut. This drink contains both Coconut Snow and Cream of Coconut. The Coconut Snow really adds another dimension to the drink.

Both drinks are clean and great for hot weather.




Also, you should try the Royal Hawaiian, which is perfect for hot weather and not too tart. It's in either the Grog Log or Intoxica, and it's on the menu at Forbidden Island tiki lounge in Alameda. I made them at a BBQ I went to recently and they were a hit! Sometimes I like to bring all the ingredients for one tasty but simple cocktail to a dinner party instead of a bottle of wine. Just make sure beforehand that your hosts have the right barware and glassware, and bring plenty of ice and more ingredients then you think you'll need. It sucks to run out when the guests ask for "one more please!" This almost happened to me but luckily my hosts have a lemon tree in their backyard, whew!

Royal Hawaiian
1.5 oz gin
1.5 oz pineapple juice
0.5 oz fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon orgeat syrup
shake w/ice and strain into cocktail glass


 
View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 29, 2003
Posts: 253
From: O.C., SoCal
Posted: 2006-06-01 11:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-30 16:35, thejab wrote:
Also, you should try the Royal Hawaiian, which is perfect for hot weather and not too tart. It's in either the Grog Log or Intoxica, and it's on the menu at Forbidden Island tiki lounge in Alameda. I made them at a BBQ I went to recently and they were a hit! Sometimes I like to bring all the ingredients for one tasty but simple cocktail to a dinner party instead of a bottle of wine. Just make sure beforehand that your hosts have the right barware and glassware, and bring plenty of ice and more ingredients then you think you'll need. It sucks to run out when the guests ask for "one more please!" This almost happened to me but luckily my hosts have a lemon tree in their backyard, whew!

Royal Hawaiian
1.5 oz gin
1.5 oz pineapple juice
0.5 oz fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon orgeat syrup
shake w/ice and strain into cocktail glass



Mahalo for the tip. Sometimes it is hard to tell if a drink is going to be too tart or not just by looking at the ingridents, especially the drinks with lemon juice. It seems that gin and lemon juice work well together.


 
View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Dec 23, 2002
Posts: 567
From: Kahiki, Ohio
Posted: 2006-06-01 12:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-21 08:36, Kava King wrote:
Potato & anchovy popovers:

in a medium size bowl combine-
-1 cup mashed potatoes (instant works fine)
-1/2 onion, minced
-1 can anchovies
-white pepper to taste

Mix together and spoon into 2" pie crust rounds (use a cookie cutter and a couple of flat, frozen pie crusts), fold over and seal each round before putting into a preheated (450) oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

These are delicious and salty- perfect with a martini.




Wow. That sounds very good. I'll take a dozen thanks.



Ahu


 
View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation