FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving need some advice on finishing :)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
need some advice on finishing :)
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-10 06:36 am   Permalink

hey guys im new to carving and found this fab website so im sure you guys will be the best port of call for advice on all things to do with finishing tikis.. if this has been covered before in depth, i apologise, i looked and couldn't find the exact advice online..
so i just finished carving my first tiki head (18 inches tall).. im not sure what wood it is (i live in the UK), its some kind of hardwood.. i think it might be beech.
I was hoping you could have a look and give me some advice on finishes.. I have applied some tribal tattoos to the carving in relief on the forehead and with a soldering iron for the facial tattoos.. basically im hoping these burnt tattoos will blend in with a dark-ish wood stain, so they can be seen but not too highly contrasting.. do you guys mix your stains? i tried rosewood on an offcut, and it was too dark.. also, do you apply some kind of oil preservative? and if so, would that be before or after staining? also, its fairly freshly cut, i de-barked it and stuck it in the greenhouse for a couple of months before carving if that is a factor that affects what kind of finishes are applied.. anyway, any help would be very much appreciated.. i am quite pleased with the carving and would like to get the finish right.. thanks in advance
here he is

View Profile of BigAndyB Send a personal message to BigAndyB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-10 6:51 pm   Permalink

Welcome and great first tiki.

Finish is a hard one. Its a personal choice. If its your fist try at this you in for
a crazy ride.

If you go with a dark stain the tats will be hard to see. You could stain then re-cut the tats and stain lighter or darker. Im no expert buy a long shot. There are guys that have this stain work down and will give you some good advice.
Mix your stain all you want. Best advice i can give is get the basic idea and go for
it that is the best way i have been able to lean.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-10 6:54 pm   Permalink

indoor or outdoor tiki?

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tatumantiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-10 8:23 pm   Permalink

Great tiki! Has a unique almost alien look. I am new to the game also but have been a faux painter for the past 10yrs. and my vote would be to stain it something light. Maybe a natural stain or you could highlight and blend some dark stains to create some more depth. Cool work! Later, Tatumantiki

View Profile of tatumantiki Send a personal message to tatumantiki  Email tatumantiki Goto the website of tatumantiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-11 02:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-10 18:51, seeksurf wrote:
Welcome and great first tiki.

Finish is a hard one. Its a personal choice. If its your fist try at this you in for
a crazy ride.

If you go with a dark stain the tats will be hard to see. You could stain then re-cut the tats and stain lighter or darker. Im no expert buy a long shot. There are guys that have this stain work down and will give you some good advice.
Mix your stain all you want. Best advice i can give is get the basic idea and go for
it that is the best way i have been able to lean.

thanks very much its kinda that awkward size where its too big to go on the mantlepiece, but a bit too small to be an outdoor feature.. for the sake of argument 'coz its a first one, im gona say its an indoor tiki,.. probably be able to find a spot by the fireplace or him
you're right its something i'm just going to have to learn over time through practice.. i will mix a small amount of rosewood into some lighter stain and test on an offcut til im happy.. think thats the best route. fingers crossed he will look pretty good when done thanks again for your help, will post up again when finished

View Profile of BigAndyB Send a personal message to BigAndyB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-11 02:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-10 20:23, tatumantiki wrote:
Great tiki! Has a unique almost alien look. I am new to the game also but have been a faux painter for the past 10yrs. and my vote would be to stain it something light. Maybe a natural stain or you could highlight and blend some dark stains to create some more depth. Cool work! Later, Tatumantiki

cheers tutuman! yeahhh i will try mixing a lighter stain with a touch of rosewood, see how that goes, thanks for your help

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 06:11 am   Permalink

ALWAYS - practice on a scrap piece of wood FIRST!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 06:13 am   Permalink

Start with a light stain and then go darker with successive coats. As for finish, there are a million ways to go. To ease into it, you could finish him with a wood finishing wax like Minwax.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-14 06:31 am   Permalink

hey guys, thanks very much for your advice, I have finished it off now, i used antique pine with a little rosewood mixed in, came out pretty nice and old looking..

I then used teak oil, which brought out the colouring and made it much richer looking, although for some reason gold patches appeared in places,.. don't know whats causing that.. otherwise, pretty pleased with it for a first tiki

this image highlights some of the golden patches

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 06:37 am   Permalink

It came out great. The only person that's gonna notice the off-color patches will be you. On to the next one!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-14 06:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-14 06:37, AlohaStation wrote:
It came out great. The only person that's gonna notice the off-color patches will be you. On to the next one!!

yes indeed got a nice chunky 27" log de-barked and ready and waiting, just gotta wait for it to stop raining argh!.. when i got my own place, going to have a nice spacious workshop so i can do my carvings indoors if its wet outside.. wish i lived in florida.. going to use the chainsaw for the next one i think thanks for the feedback alohastation

Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 12:15 pm   Permalink

SWEEEET! Very nice and unique! Features really standout.

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 3:22 pm   Permalink

Outstanding first tiki. Really nice well done. Most first tikis mine
included don't even come close to this.

Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 4:45 pm   Permalink

I like the color patches. It adds effect.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-16 03:24 am   Permalink

thanks for your kind words guys! appreciate it, anyway, looking out the window and it doesnt seem to be raining today, even though they said it would be.. so i think if it stays this way, going to get onto tiki#2 chainsaw time, wish me luck

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation