FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving need some advice on finishing :)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
need some advice on finishing :)
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-17 02:39 am   Permalink

i had a go at carving with the chainsaw for the first time yesterday, got the mouth really good then got cocky and made the mistake of trying to do the eyes and nose with the chainsaw on a fairly small log.. so ended up with some wonky eyes, mangled nose and some rather cut up cheeks anyway, its experience and next time i will probably just use the chainsaw for cutting the logs to size and doing the open mouth, and i will chisel the rest..

ouch..

View Profile of BigAndyB Send a personal message to BigAndyB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 04:22 am   Permalink

Now it's time for the angle grinder.

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 7:12 pm   Permalink

Get a carving bar for the chain saw if you don't have one.
Way to go at it. I have never seen someone go @ it like this deep and daring
right off the bat. I thinks its great.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-18 02:04 am   Permalink

thanks seeksurf no i havent got a carving bar yet, i'll look into it, cheers need to find a few more large logs now..
in the meantime got couple more small ones.. started one yesterday and i'm very nearly finished carving him now going to hollow him out and make a garden lantern will post images later

View Profile of BigAndyB Send a personal message to BigAndyB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 06:13 am   Permalink

A very good first chainsaw tiki. You said mangled eyes and nose, but they are still very fixable even with a regular saw bar, just cut deeper, make a larger v-cut. And as somebody said, time to pull out the angle grinder.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-19 08:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-18 06:13, JohnnyP wrote:
A very good first chainsaw tiki. You said mangled eyes and nose, but they are still very fixable even with a regular saw bar, just cut deeper, make a larger v-cut. And as somebody said, time to pull out the angle grinder.

JP

thanks JP, I will see if i can have a go at rescuing him

BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-19 09:09 am   Permalink

I finished carving tiki number 2 over the last couple of days, so i thought I would share some photos before I apply a finish.. here's Smokey the tiki lantern! he will no doubt be watching over my summer bbqs, and making sure i don't burn the sausages while i crack open a cold one

had great fun carving this little chap, and the chainsaw came in very useful with hollowing him out..

burning off the loose wood strands inside, and giving him a nice authentic scorched look

anyway, i'm guessing the next stage after sanding off the insides would be to apply the stain and then some kind of flame retardant stuff on him, so he can house a candle or oil lamp without going up in flames.. so I better go see if i can find some

BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-20 02:51 am   Permalink

keeping him inside as an air refresher before finishing him, his smokey insides smell amazing

ok going to ask for a bit of help.. anyone on here made hollow tikis to put candles/ oil lamps in?
i guess staining him would be the first step.. I cant use teak oil this time 'coz of flammability, so im thinking i will have to apply a matte varnish.. i think i will have to varnish only whats visible on the outside and apply a flame retardant penetrant to the inside.. anyone got any advice on finishing tikis where fire is going to be a feature? does this sound about right? thanks

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 06:42 am   Permalink

The heat from a candle is mostly generated above the flame. Having the top open should be all you need to do to it (unless you plan on building a bonfire in it?). Another easy solution would be to make it electric - or even battery powered) with a flickering bulb.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-20 09:31 am   Permalink

thanks for your help Alohastation yeahhh, im sure you're right a candle isn't going to do much.. if it was a problem in the future, i could treat him with some flame retardant stuff..

BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-04 02:43 am   Permalink

been quite busy last couple of weeks so haven't made much tiki progress.. but stained up Smokey the tiki lantern, and carved a little club-shaped tribal piece in a free afternoon, so i thought i'd share

need to pick up some varnish or something to finish him off..

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-04 02:50 am   Permalink

Hey Andy, Smokey looks great. I was just looking at him thinking he'd make a great stool with some sort of battery operated lights inside. What happened to the guy you got stuck into with the chainsaw?

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-04 03:42 am   Permalink

he's still around.. chilling in my garage atm i think one of the links in my chainsaw chain bent out while i was starting a new one so that set me back a bit, which was annoying as hell, coz im sure i had the tension and everything right.. i'd only used it on about 5 occasions, bt oh well.. got a new chain now. i've been quite busy recently bt going to do some more carving soon..
thanks im pretty pleased with Smokey, he still needs a finish, yeah was thinking he could house an electric light for inside, but i was kinda hoping to have a candle or oil lamp burning in him for when i have him out in the garden in the evenings.. so now im wondering if he will be flammable if i varnished him..
hows things in oz? you getting much carving done?

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-04 03:58 am   Permalink

Not as much as i'd like. It's winter here now so it's close to dark by the time I get home from work. Can only really carve on the weekend/s. I can understand you wanting some sort of flame inside him. What about lining the inside with some sort of fire-proof material?

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2010-06-04 04:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2010-06-04 04:03 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-04 04:14 am   Permalink

thats a poss, you can get some flame retardant coatings, but i think that a candle won't do too much.. i just don't want to apply something that turns out to be massively flammable, and him to go up.. apparently polyurethane varnish is only flammable in its liquid state so hopefully that should be ok..

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation