FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving need some advice on finishing :)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
need some advice on finishing :)
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-04 04:20 am   Permalink

You're right, I don't think a candle is going to cause too much of a problem, however, looking at the size of him I reckon you're gonna need a bloody big candle to get the effect you're after.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-04 04:37 am   Permalink

he's actually only 14" tall.. the photo makes him look a bit bigger than he is lol .. i'd just mowed the lawn

View Profile of BigAndyB Send a personal message to BigAndyB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-06 2:10 pm   Permalink

it's been a wet day today, so i had to make something tiki-themed to help me forget about english weather had a leftover piece of birch plywood lying around, so i thought i'd do some tiki burning on it with the soldering iron nothing like a tiki to raise your spirits is there.
here it is, just needs a coat of varnish to finish..
its stopped raining now so i could take it outside to take some pics

View Profile of BigAndyB Send a personal message to BigAndyB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-06 3:10 pm   Permalink

That's awesome Andy. The flowers look great.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-06 3:35 pm   Permalink

thanks swizzle glad you like it.. i should probs be posting this in a diff area coz its not really a carving, but oh well.. my thread

Meheadhunter
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-06 7:59 pm   Permalink

Nice...cool looking tiki and great shading with a soldering iron.

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-07 2:55 pm   Permalink

thanks head hunting dude yeah pretty pleased with it, an afternoon well spent..

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-07 6:22 pm   Permalink

I'm impressed and with a soldering iron Wow!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-08 09:23 am   Permalink

thanks seeksurf

ok i think im going to ask for a bit of advice on this one, i've made a tiki candle holder, and i can't decide whether to give it a light stain or just varnish it as it is.. what you guys think?

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-08 3:04 pm   Permalink

Personally, I think it looks OK as is but a light stain would be the way to go. By the way,great design. I thought it was a coffee cup holder at first glance. That looked like steam coming from the Tikis head.

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2010-06-08 15:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2010-06-08 15:06 ]

BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-10 05:14 am   Permalink

thanks swizzle, glad you gave me that advice because i was going to just varnish it, but i mixed a new stain combo and it came out looking really nice Have also applied a coat of varnish to it, so light reflects nicely off the top rim..

here it is on the mantle next to my short chap carving think its the first time he's seen fire..

..I WILL turn my parents respectable english house into a tiki grotto

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 05:31 am   Permalink

Perfect.

BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-10 4:22 pm   Permalink

thanks swizz how are you getting on with your big guy? finding the time on weekends?

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 6:14 pm   Permalink

well done

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-12 4:42 pm   Permalink

thanks seeksurf, appreciate it

since i posted some photos of my stuff up on f/b, got a couple guys over here who want to buy already i will be sad to see my tikis go coz i put some time into these first pieces, but then i guess i can use the profits to buy some decent large curved gauge chisels, and a carving bar for the chainsaw be more productive
i didnt realise people here in liverpool would be into tikis but apparently so..

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation