FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving need some advice on finishing :)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
need some advice on finishing :)
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-24 11:25 am   Permalink

hey again tiki headz! thought i'd share my newest tiki and another work-in-progress

made this guy for my lil sis's birthday over the last couple of days. he's carved from a gum tree log, i think it's eucalyptus.. i have quite a few of these left over.. i noticed that before i started carving the log had started to split like crazy, so decided to use it for practicing with the chainsaw.. the features have ended up a lot smaller than i originally planned, due to my lack of control with the chainsaw, and trying to balance his face out again with the chisels after, but i think he has turned out pretty cool
so once i had him carved, i designed a maori-style moko and burned it on with the soldering iron, then set a bonfire going and rolled him around in it for a while to give him a smokey old look to him.. the cracks that have formed from the log drying out help give him the old look too, which i like

i wanted some contrast between his different features so i used some stain on his body, nose, mouth and eyes.. the stain turned out a lot darker than i anticipated, i wanted to keep it quite subtle colour contrast, but my sister said she really likes it with the high contrast so that was a relief.. im very glad she likes it i do myself now, he just ended up a bit different than i had in mind..

i'm thinking i will need to treat the wood to keep some moisture in, so it doesn't split too much more.. any advice on that would be appreciated anyway, here he is:

heres a couple of progress shots of another carving i've been working on..,

i've had to keep gluing bits back on which is a pain, but he'll get there..

View Profile of BigAndyB Send a personal message to BigAndyB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-26 11:41 am   Permalink

been in the garden doing some more carving, its been roasting hot and i've been feeling very tropical-y and tiki inspired.. this fellas taking much longer than i thought he would, but i'm pleased with the shape he's taking, hollowing out the mouth with the chisels was the laborious part.. was very tempted to just get the chainsaw out,.. but i thought,.. hmm with my control, i'd accidentally go a bit too deep, or nick the lip by mistake, so i decided to stick to the good ol' chisels and just work up a bit more of a sweat
anyway, here are some more progress shots, he's pretty much carved now but a bit more to do before i break out the dremel, i'm going to carve some detail lines on this guy, instead of going overboard with the tribal tattoos with the soldering iron like i have been doing

anyway, mahalo! hope everyones enjoying similar warm tiki feelings l8az..

View Profile of BigAndyB Send a personal message to BigAndyB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-26 3:23 pm   Permalink

This one flows together very nicely. Nice job

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-26 5:49 pm   Permalink

Looking good.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-27 12:21 pm   Permalink

thanks very much guys

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation