FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events ENCORE! The SOUND of TIKI Tour hits the valley -SUN, May 23rd- Mixed sounds matching mixed drinks!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
ENCORE! The SOUND of TIKI Tour hits the valley -SUN, May 23rd- Mixed sounds matching mixed drinks!
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 12:59 pm   Permalink

To complete the LA Tiki Axis, Sven Kirsten will do a CD listening and signing (and drinking) party on Sunday the 23rd of May, from 6:00-9:00 p.m., at the Tonga Hut. You can purchase the CD for 25.- bucks (cash please) and have me sign it for you, and Kelly will mix cocktails matching some of the songs on the track list, while the capable Marty Lush will spin the appropriate tunes. Have a "Pieces of Eight" while listening to the song "Pieces of Eight". Hear the soundtrack to "Hawaiian Eye" while imbibing the potion of the same name! Actually, Kelly will decide which of the Beachbum Berry REMIXED recipes are gonna be used and announce it here.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-05-14 09:24 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 1:31 pm   Permalink

Cool, Can't wait.
I will have made all 3 of the listening partys.

that is unless we do more.
San Diego/Bali Hai anyone?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-11 13:31, bigtikidude wrote:
Cool, Can't wait.
I will have made all 3 of the listening partys.

that is unless we do more.
San Diego/Bali Hai anyone?

Jeff(btd)

Looks like we will make Svens Sounds of tiki a trifecta, hat trick, etc...too!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-05-11 2:04 pm   Permalink

Ok, this time I'll get off my ass and make it out there.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 2:34 pm   Permalink

Tonga Hut !! That's saving the best for last.

Maybe we can get the lyrics printed out for the Don Ho "Hawaii 5-0/Quiet Village" medley.

That way we can do a Tiki Central sing-a-long. It'll be awesome.

Bigbro says it himself: "If there ever was Karaoke in a Tiki Lounge, this would be the piece to perform."

Update:

Uh oh, the PM's have started. Let me restate that:

"That's saving the best (NORTH of Orange County) for last"

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-05-13 08:07 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-11 9:19 pm   Permalink

Aloha!
I am so excited on behalf of the Tonga Hut to have Sven Kirsten include the Hut on his long awaited the "Sound of Tiki" Tour! Were batting with the Big Boys now!

I will be mixing Vintage Cocktails from the Bum's "Re-Mixed" cocktail book as Marty Lush spins the corresponding tune off Sven's now released the "Sound of Tiki" CD for your delight!

Tomorrow I will have another listen to the the Sound of Tiki CD and refer to the Bum's "Re-mixed" again for changes compared to the Grog Log etc. Maybe I will run some cocktails out to the thirsty crowd at Kirby's Rumpus Room Wednesday night for good measure. I mix Grog Log drinks on a continues basis at the Tonga Hut because of our VIP program "Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard" complete all 79 of the standard cocktails in the book and you have earned one way to become a VIP in our fine 1958 Tiki Lounge. I'm very familiar with these drinks.

------> Again, Save the date Sunday May 23rd doors open at 4:00pm Tiki Party begins with
*Exotic Cocktails *Food *Snacks & Fun!

Sven starts signing at 6:00pm

New to TC or your a Tonga Hut Regular? This Event is a meet and greet so if you have never had the pleasure of chatting with Sven now is your chance.

Get your copies now folks as this is the last stop in SoCal and the signing lines for Sven and Shag at Oasis are always very, very long!

More info to come on the Menu of the day and I must say, the Tonga Hut is So Very Pleased to present:
-----> Sven Kirsten's The Sound of Tiki !

Tonga Hut Tiki Lounge Est. 1958

12808 Victory Blvd (at Coldwater Canyon)
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
(818) 769-0708

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-05-12 14:50 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-11 11:57 pm   Permalink

It almost sounds like "scratch & sniff". Instead it's "listen & drink". Hear the song and drink the drink by the same name. Cute. If it's a Hiphipahula concoction, you KNOW it's going to be tasty!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 10:16 pm   Permalink

lovin this cd.
make sure you come get one from Sven.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 09:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-11 21:19, Hiphipahula wrote:

"We're battling with the Big Boys now!"

Bump.

Tonga Hut is edgy, it's scrappy, it can and will take risks. It's on the cutting edge of the Tiki Revival. (Not to mention it's the oldest of the old-school So Ca Tiki joints.)

Witness the recent "Latin Music in the Tiki Bar" event and Kelly's net new Tropical drinks which rival (and IMHO exceed) the classics. And don't forget about other events like movie nights, parking lot art sales, and Marty Lush DJ Sundays.

It's the "Hong Kong Cafe" to DTBC's "Madame Wong's". (Late 70's LA Punk Rock reference). Have I said that before ?

Two great places, two different vibes.

As Elvis once said to me (no, not that Elvis, I mean the beer drinking Tonga Hut barfly Elvis):

"You drive 20 miles just to drink in this bar, you're crazy !!".

No I'm not crazy, but any So CA Tikiphile who hasn't been to the "new" old Tonga Hut yet is. If you ever needed an excuse to visit, make this event.

Also it's a fantastic CD and booklet (but where the heck does the Bigbro sign it ??)

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-05-13 10:16 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marty Lush
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-13 12:02 pm   Permalink

Hear, Hear John-O. Couldn't have said it better myself. The Hut has come a long long way. I was a champion of the place way back years ago when it was just a dive. People in LA decry the fact that there are precious few original tiki places left, yet the Tonga Hut has always been there. It's even better now to boot. The cocktails are way way better than they used to be and when Kelly is behind the bar, the drinks are some of the best there are...hands down. I'm so happy to see my little hang out start to get the recognition it deserves.

View Profile of Marty Lush Send a personal message to Marty Lush  Email Marty Lush     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 1:28 pm   Permalink

Tonga Hut. Two words. Frickin' terrific.

God bless this North Hollywood mainstay. A survivor. A neighborhood landmark. When I bring newbies into the fold, even they recognize the importance of this space while the fantastic cocktails seal these thoughts into their psyche. Nobody forgets warm and cozy. We love our time spent at this preternatural bridge between the past and present.

I can't visit as much as I would like, but walking into the bar is akin to walking into a comfortable and familiar home. With Tonga Hut's continued support by friends of the DROOLING BASTARD, I need not worry...I feel I'm welcome there.

Thanks to the present owner - Thanks to Kelly and other staff members - Thanks to the Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard. You people are extended family.

Oh yeah! almost forgot to say I'll be seeing everybody at Sven's signing. Cheers! G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RoseRed
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-15 6:43 pm   Permalink

can't wait! indeed, savin' the best 4 last. MOST X-clnt indeed
John-O said it best!

View Profile of RoseRed Send a personal message to RoseRed      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-16 07:54 am   Permalink

The booklet in the CD is awesome, beautifully and artfully composed. I'm not a big CD buyer especially since iTunes, for downloads, but you'd really miss out without that amazing booklet and music! Nice work Sven!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom

Posted: 2010-05-17 10:49 am   Permalink

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2010-05-17 6:06 pm   Permalink

Excellent...I can't wait for a Pieces of Eight with my Pieces of Eight.

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation