FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » ENCORE! The SOUND of TIKI Tour hits the valley -SUN, May 23rd- Mixed sounds matching mixed drinks!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
ENCORE! The SOUND of TIKI Tour hits the valley -SUN, May 23rd- Mixed sounds matching mixed drinks!
tonga hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 1:35 pm   Permalink

Aloha Tiki Central! 

The Tonga Hut Very Proudly Presents, Sven Kirsten the "Sound of Tiki" Listening Party and Signing Event! 

Kelly Hiphipahula will be mixing three excellent cocktails from the Bum's "Re-Mixed" cocktail book they are "Pieces of Eight"  "Hawaiian Eye"  and the remix of the "Sven-Tiki".  From Beachbum Berry's "Sippin' Safari" Hiphipahula will be mixing the "Bali Hai"  as DJ Marty Lush spins the corresponding tune off Sven's now released the "Sound of Tiki" CD for your delight!

• Doors open at 4:00 PM  Serving up tasty Tiki Cocktails until 2:00AM

•At 5:00 FREE FOOD until it's gone! Snacks all evening long. A Tonga Hut tradition is to bring your favorite cookie or snack so please, feel free to do so! Best tasting "Homemade" Cookie wins a FREE Cocktail!

•At 6:00 The Sven CD signing event begins!

SAVE THE DATE
•Next Sunday May 23rd doors open at 4:00pm  Sven Kirsten's the "Sound of Tiki" CD Signing And Listening Party!
*Exotic Music* *Exotic Cocktails   *Food   *Snacks & Fun!

Tonga Hut Tiki Lounge Est. 1958

12808 Victory Blvd (at Coldwater Canyon)
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
(818) 769-0708

View Profile of tonga hut Send a personal message to tonga hut  Email tonga hut Goto the website of tonga hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 1:40 pm   Permalink

Sadly I can't make this show on Sunday.
I need to go down to San Diego to pick up some donated art for the Mariepalooza event.
but that is the good part

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 5:28 pm   Permalink

Hey! In another ENCORE performance, I will be on KXLU 88.9 FM again tonite, talking about the CD, promoting the above event, and chatting with DJ Cyrano on the Molotov Cocktail hour, 10 - 12:00 p.m.

This is one of the longest standing Lounge radio shows out there. Co-host Senor Amor is on tour with Luch VaVoom. Cyrano and I will discuss the fate of the Kelbo's logo Tiki, "Wiki the Tiki"!

Listen to it here:
http://www.live365.com/stations/kxlu1?site=pro

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 6:09 pm   Permalink

How about the story about Carlin Dinkler's Luau restaurant ??

Is 1962 the year that Tiki peaked ??

Luau --> Tiki.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 7:47 pm   Permalink

The Dinkler story is for Swanky to tell, he did the most research on it. There is no "peak year" for Tiki but it is AROUND '62 that it peaked: 61-64, I would say. I'll get into that.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 8:24 pm   Permalink

Sven I will tune into the radio show tonight.I don't know how it happened , however you
slipped out of Don's the other week for your tiki CD release and I had not bought a CD
before you had left...swift one you are .I hope to see you soon to pick up a CD or two .
Great art direction as always Sven , top notch .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 08:48 am   Permalink

Another interesting session. Bigbro didn't get a chance to chit chat as much as on Stella's show, but he did introduce some different tracks. There was one Paul Page song (not on his CD) where he (Paul) sings through a list of every Hawaiian singer from the 50's (even earlier?) through the 60's. That one was really cool. Jack Lord was even mentioned. That one puzzles me.

Paul Page was always below the radar for me but now I'm really interested in learning more, especially with his Westside (Marina Del Rey) connection.

Also there was a funny story about the 8-foot Kelbo's Tiki being discovered rotting away and covered with vines in someone's backyard. When they tried to "free" him, they had to retreat since a swarm of bees had made a home inside him. Since then, anyone who's come into contact with the Tiki has suffered a mysterious fate (OK, I made that part up ).

Also lot's of publicity for the Tonga Hut event so maybe we'll see an indy hipster/geek for every Tikiphile there.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-19 09:31 am   Permalink

Speaking of Kelbo's.... Did you know the Tapa swag lamp hanging in the big back booth at the Tonga Hut is out of Kelbo's? Bet you didn't it was a gift to Jeremy (owner, my boss) a few years ago from a family member I believe. Have a look some time when your visiting. There I also now a large scraping of Bamboo hanging the Tonga Hut from the Stockton Islander before it was demolished the bamboo is tagged and numbered as to what section of the Islander it came from. Gifted to the Hut by Eric October the Stockton Islander was Eric's hometown Tiki establishment. See if you can spot it when you come out for Sven's Sound of Tiki signing party.
As for the Tiki's in the Tonga Hut? There is still many a story as to where they came from back in 1958....

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-19 09:37 am   Permalink

Great thanks to Tonga Tom for doing a swell photoshop job on the event poster for the Tonga Hut! Kudos to Kevin Kidney and Sven for a outstanding Cd cover truly awesome.

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 1:23 pm   Permalink

Yes, thanks Tom for the lay out....I couldn't do that.

It is also planned now to have my CD permanently installed in the Tonga Hut juke box. That's so cool, my compilation in a Tiki bar juke box, that's as cool as having a bar's restrooms wall-papered with my book pages. I love being represented by all these old-fashioned 20th Century forms of media:

First BOOKS, now RADIO, and then a JUKE BOX. Oh, and a CD, which is old fashioned nowadays too, if I look at my son's way of getting his music

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-05-19 16:47 ]

tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 1:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-19 09:31, Hiphipahula wrote:
Speaking of Kelbo's.... Did you know the Tapa swag lamp hanging in the big back booth at the Tonga Hut is out of Kelbo's? Bet you didn't it was a gift to Jeremy (owner, my boss) a few years ago from a family member I believe.

Hey Kelly, I think that lamp was given to Jeremy by Jeffrey Valance, the artist/author who's article on Tonga Hut is framed and hanging in the back hallway.

Glad to hear the Sound of Tiki will be added to the TH jukebox!

And awesome flier, Tonga Tom!

See everybody on Sunday!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-19 6:03 pm   Permalink

Wow, it's THIS Sunday! It's coming up quick.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 2:28 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to this Sunday, to be
LISTENING TO, and
DRINKING THE

...and the BALI HAI

or the HAWAIIAN EYE

and thank you Kelly, for surprising me with the SVEN-TIKI, a rare treat!
Perhaps the first time it will be served in a real Tiki bar!

(Disclaimer: Sorry, the above cocktails will NOT be served in any of the themed vessels pictured above )

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 2:47 pm   Permalink

Yay!!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-20 5:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-19 09:37, Hiphipahula wrote:
Great thanks to Tonga Tom for doing a swell photoshop job on the event poster for the Tonga Hut!

Quote:

On 2010-05-19 13:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yes, thanks Tom for the lay out.

Kelly, Sven...You're welcome, and thank you for the kind words!
Looking forward to Sunday!

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation